SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old October 2, 2021, 11:31 AM
Administrator

Default Pursuing a TOLL Position strategy today; the good, the bad, the ugly.

As most SowPubbers know, Dien and I have spent a lot of time talking to Harvey Brody, the Godfather of Toll Position Strategy, and he has been generous with his time and knowledge.

As recently as last week, I conferred with Harvey on an interesting project.

It turns out we get several inquiries a month about Harvey and his strategies, we seem to be the de facto home of all things Harvey Brody, and I want to address some recent questions about Toll Positions.

My take is this: Today, one must adjust to modern times and marketing while pursuing a toll position and even then, ADAPT the strategy to suit your own needs.
If you have the money, you can BUY some Intellectual Property which is still producing profits, but if you lack funds, then building a toll booth from scratch is going to take time.

And a lot of PEOPLE contact.

One time, I enjoyed that, the people, as I became more and more of an old curmudgeon I wanted less and less to do with people and focused more on hands off, no people contact strategies like the Automatic Product Vending sites and such.

Now buying a toll position is easy, give your money to the current owner, you get the IP (or business or whatever).

Building one from scratch gets complicated, a lot of moving parts, a ton of phone, email, back and forth, negotiation, all the things most Internet Marketers don't want.

Which makes the done for you solutions so popular. Sites like clickfunnels which has 100,000+ people paying monthly has made Russell Brunson a fortune and given him a net worth of upwards of 40 million bux.

I advise younger people (under 40) to pursue toll positions because they can be a legacy and give you money for decades, but if over 40, my opinion is to find a more DONE for or with you type money making venture.

That being said, we adapt...both Dien and I have Intellectual Property which is valuable to us, and this 21 year old forum is a form of a Toll Position too

Harvey Brody is a money making genius, no doubt about it, but to get to that level may be beyond most of us, and want to avoid the complications of working with other people.

But if you have any questions, we can probably give you some general advice as has been passed on to us these last 15 years.

Gordon
Old October 5, 2021, 01:46 AM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Re: Pursuing a TOLL Position strategy today; the good, the bad, the ugly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonJ View Post
As most SowPubbers know, Dien and I have spent a lot of time talking to Harvey Brody, the Godfather of Toll Position Strategy, and he has been generous with his time and knowledge.
Hi Gordon,

One thing I would add is that, while toll positions are important, it does not mean that you can do away with marketing...

Marketing is still very important...

Though, of course, one way Harvey does it is he gets others to do the marketing for him...

For example, he gets Home Depot, Ace Hardware, and many others to market his zoom-spout oiler for him...

If he didn't have the toll position, that would be harder, if not impossible to do - because it would then be easy for them to just copy it and make their own version!

Best wishes,

Dien
Old October 5, 2021, 09:38 AM
Administrator

Default Good point. One needs a wall of PROTECTION.

Thanks Dien,

A Wall of protection. Patents, copyrights, formulaes etc. And even then, someone (think China) could knock it off, those protections give you the right to defend, and the defense could get costly, whereas, there is insurance available for IP. Another little insider secret of Toll Position strategy.

Now it takes time, and TON of people contact to set up distribution like Harvey has with the Zoom Spout oiler...a lot of time and attention to detail, which is why I suggest it is more suited for younger people, us old farts can't spend years getting our ducks in a row, can we?

And this is why there is such an emphasis online on Internet MARKETING, BECAUSE even the great products need distributed, sold, and delivered.

This is one reason why I (and I think Dien), have taken our many hours and even years of study with Toll Positions as taught by Harvey Brody and scaled them down, and ADAPTED it to suit our needs.

Hmm, Dien, maybe we should offer our own version of a turnstile system, sort of like a toll, only different? We should compare notes and review our many hours of audio we both have with him, eh?

Gordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dien Rice View Post
Hi Gordon,

One thing I would add is that, while toll positions are important, it does not mean that you can do away with marketing...

Marketing is still very important...

Though, of course, one way Harvey does it is he gets others to do the marketing for him...

For example, he gets Home Depot, Ace Hardware, and many others to market his zoom-spout oiler for him...

If he didn't have the toll position, that would be harder, if not impossible to do - because it would then be easy for them to just copy it and make their own version!

Best wishes,

Dien