SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old January 29, 2021, 12:10 PM
Administrator

Default Retro look at 1995, the great lakes and oceans of the Internet.

I know, some of you weren't even born in 1995.

But I was already old and mouthing off online, and I wrote about the Oceans of the Internet and the five Great Lakes. Two and a half decades later, here is what happened:

In 95 the two big oceans were: .edu (education) and ****.

From the .edu came FACEBOOK as well as many other social media platforms, at the time, colleges had more Internet connectivity than most of us so it was logical that college students (Zuckerberg, et al) would be the ones to exploit it.

****? Oh, it totally disappeared from the Net.

I guess I got that one wrong.

Although, Webroot says that today, $3,075.64 is spent every SECOND for online ****. Wonder what the .64 buys? Anyhow, it appears to NOT be dead at all.

The Great Lakes of the Internet were matched to my five lanes of the SQ1.

Financial. Making money. Still one of the largest activities online, the how to.

Mental. Online classes, courses, self improvement.

Relationships. Tinder, dating, social media.

Environment. The earth and what it is, does and has.

Spiritual. Between new religions and new thoughts, it is a whack a mole game.

Fortunes were made, lost and made again since 95. Then, came Covid-19, a real game changer, and with it came more opportunity too.

I was thinking about Harvey Brody recently, and his one product the Zoom-Spout Oiler (Copyright) which has sold over 100 million units, and how he only has a few buyers, and very little slop and mess.

And since 1960, no one has beat him at that product, although I'm sure China routinely tries. It is all about his control and toll.

Sometimes, we who "live" online, forget there is a great big world out there, with real products, like my little Waffle Iron...that are being bought and sold daily.

One of the best ideas I got from Harvey was about "slop and mess" and how to eliminate it from your life.

Above, I mentioned my frustration with buying a report and having to go through 5 promotions to get to my download, that to me, is a lot of slop and mess but I understand that is what most IMer's do these days.

The Automatic Product Vending sites don't have that slop and mess.

And in dealing with people recently (2021), I see there are some really good opportunities in all the oceans and lakes of the Internet for those who can focus in on one thing and get it done, tested, adjusted and maintained.

I can't stop time, nor can I avoid the destination of every man, but I can use my time to keep myself going, healthy, and maybe benefit others along the road, something we had in mind when we started SowPub.

How much slop and mess do you have in your life today?

Hopefully, you'll be around in a couple of decades and can reflect back to this year as a turning point, hopefully for the better of yourselves and for us all. \

Gordon