SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old January 28, 2009, 01:20 AM
Hugh

Default A sign Of The Economic Times?

Last night I placed an ad in the local Craigslist to hire a helper for my sheet metal business. I've done this before, using the exact same ad. You can see the ad here:

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv...009399574.html

I've always gotten a good response from this ad, maybe 10 or 15 calls or so. Two of my three full time sheet metal installers responded to this very same ad several years ago. But this time . . . holy smokes!

The phone literally rang off the hook all day long!

Right now, I've got 21 messages on the answering machine in my office, 6 on the phone company hardwired voicemail, and 18 emails in my inbox (plus two more that just came in while I'm writing this). When I leave the office, I call forward to my cell phone, and for the first time ever, my cell phone voice mail is full . . . it's got 45 messages and won't accept any more . . . that's 92 calls/emails responding to the ad today, and I'd estimate that after the mail box was full, at least another 15 or 20 or maybe 25 calls came in but didn't get through (I could see the calls coming in on the caller ID, but at the time I didn't know they weren't being accepted by the voice mail). And this is just the first day!

A sign of the economic times?

I think so. The job seekers range from the inexperienced to the very experienced in a wide variety of trades . . . calls from laborers, concrete workers, electricians, rough carpenters, finish carpenters, and even administrators and managers to name a few. All applying for this entry-level sheet metal job!

This tells me that the job market is getting very tight here . . . I live in the Los Angeles area. Right now I've got tons of work for my little company, and that's why I'm hiring. But the future? For my business, short term is very bright, but the long term . . . I'm not so sure now. This episode . . . the response to this ad . . . shocked me. OMG . . . all these experienced, skilled people looking for ANY kind of work, just in my little microcosm? Yes, I've heard the news reports. But being overwhelmed with work myself, I had no idea. Kind of scary. Not sure what to think. Leaves me waiting for the other shoe to drop.

What's the economic outlook in YOUR area? The same? Different?

---- Hugh
Old January 28, 2009, 08:52 AM
L.B. Jenkins

Default Re: A sign Of The Economic Times?

Hugh,

In another life, I was an Area Manager for a large franchise. I hired and fired people. When the economy drops way down, causing people to cross over into a different career field, there are steps you should begin to take to protect your business.

Start doing back ground checks on your personnel, drug and alcohol pre-screening and inspect their vehicles to make sure that they are properly insured and registered.

Also consider having your potential applicants take a Wonderlic test. With a high volume of people applying, from different work backgrounds, you do not want to get hit broadside from frivolous unemployment hearings.

If you take these extra steps now, you will save yourself a world of headaches.

If you want more info just send me a PM.
Old January 28, 2009, 10:26 AM
Administrator

Default Tough time for the masses, good time for the individual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post

---- Hugh

First, good advice L.B. Jenkins. When "hiring" help today, keep CYA in your mind. AND, in this economy, we can be picky and choose the best candidates out there...if we stay sharp.

I too ran an ad on Craigslist yesterday:
http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/cps/1009832408.html

and I was OVERWHELMED with response. After eliminating all the spammers, overseas and out of state respondents, I still had over 20 LOCAL people to choose from to create a simple web site.

I spent about an hour responding...and narrowed it down to 3...then I posted an UPDATE on my craigslist ad (I ran one in the help wanted and one in the computer services) here's my updated one:

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/web/1009840355.html

Now to answer the question

For the masses, the Akron Beacon Journal story TODAY shows:
http://www.ohio.com/news/38518234.html

"Summit unemployment at highest level since 1993
Rate jumps to 7.4 percent in December, from 6.4 percent in November "

So for many local residents, the "storm" I've been writing about for the last year has HIT. And most were/are totally unprepared.

So...FINALLY, after talking and discussing it here for, what?, decades?...at least for years...the Training Center will be open for business in February.

Jobs. Businesses. Dang Money. With a twist.

The new training facility will have an 80/20 focus. 80% of our time will be spent helping people to either FIND JOBS, start a business, or just make some dang money...and the other 20% of our time will be on LIFESTYLES/FUN things in life...where we offer "classes" in such far ranging areas of life like:

Sewing, cooking, auto work, needlepoint, soap making, crafting...and all kinds of HOW TO type classes...following the model I designed almost a decade ago.

By using Independent Contractors and Guerrilla Marketing techniques, we'll be busy from DAY one when we open the doors.

I perceive it to be a great time to be in the "helping others find jobs" type of business and also to provide some "Edutainment"...keeping the balance between WORK and FUN in check.

AND, it appears, I can pick and choose from a very large pool of people who have suddenly been slammed by the "Ecomonic Storm" that has hit our area full blast.

Gordon Jay Alexander

PS. I'll give some details of the "Training Center" in the first few issues of the SEEDZINE. Sign up today. www.seedzine.com

Old January 29, 2009, 04:15 AM
Phil

Default Re: Tough time for the masses, good time for the individual.

With a little Brainstorming and some innovative Thinking... Posting trade, contract and employment ads on Craigslist... Hmmm!

Then screening them into Quality Leads and misc. placement opportunities...

All kinds of ideas & possibilities to consider... Including finding/brokering and offering Trade related courses, seminars etc...

Congrats Gordon!

Great to hear the news on the opening of your Training Center concept... Looking forward to reading more about it... Maybe even the online Training Center spin-off too...

Dreams, ideas and a few other things Definitely go way back throughout the history of the SowPub archives... Everyone should read 'em when they've got a chance...
http://www.sowpub.com/forum/archive/index.php?f-3.html

Of course there's always the Negative depressing news... But you just never know, Sometimes out Pops an Amazing idea!

World economy may lose 51 million jobs
http://uk.reuters.com/article/stocks...50R05020090128

Once again... Apply it to your Life...

The POWER of Positive Thinking...
http://www.etsy.com/forums_thread.php?thread_id=6007460

And a few more Quick picks... Interesting reads that just might Give some a little food for thought and a Full time income...

Why Entrepreneurs Love a Downturn
http://discussionleader.hbsp.com/ger...e-a-downt.html

Recession got you down? Create your own company by writing a business plan
http://wistechnology.com/articles/5418/

Founder of upscale potato chip brand: Good time to start a business
http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/bus...r_founder.html

Whizkid Bill (18) gives tips on beating the recession
http://www.herald.ie/national-news/c...n-1617336.html

The Printed Blog...
http://news.google.com/news?oe=utf-8... =Search+News
http://www.theprintedblog.com/

Phil

Last edited by Phil : January 29, 2009 at 05:44 AM.
Old January 28, 2009, 04:17 PM
Adman

Default Re: A sign Of The Economic Times?

Unemployment hit 13% last week in my area (Pacific NW)

HOWEVER....2 guys up in Eugene, OR (pop 120,000) started up a website for "Job Seekers" and they are doing GREAT!

www.EugeneJobs.net

Free to Job Seekers and the employers pay for ads. They're now buying TV Ads in my area, 60 mi South.

So...even in the midst of the great depression there were businesses Hiring.

"In all adversity there's ways around it!"

Don Alm
Old January 28, 2009, 10:34 PM
MichaelRoss

Default What Economic Times?

"A sign of the economic times?"

I work with a guy who is the son-in-law of one of the company's Supervisors. He has Another Job too. Works with us for Extra Money.

Nothing different than has been going on for years. Back then we called it Moonlighting. And I recall one of my highschool teachers used to be a waiter in a restaurant at night.

These days, it's a Sign of The Times.

A lot of tradies will work for others if they have Gaps in their time. Some won't and will sit through a small Gap in work. BUT, tell them all the economy is down the gurgler and then they too will call on ads.

Tell others work is scarce and they will want to Moonlight to cover themselves. Just in case.

And others are legitimately out of work.

One thing I've found interesting is the Unemployment Rate vs Number of Job Postings. And down where we are, the Positions Vacant number usually exceeds the unemployment rate - but we still have unemployment.

"What's the economic outlook in YOUR area? The same? Different?"

Recent news says... Unemployment hits 4.5% - as if that's a bad thing we should all take notice of. But it seems to hover around there most of the time anyway. Might jump up a percent or two, then come down. But it's always in that 5% ballpark.

Gordon wrote "Summit unemployment at highest level since 1993". Which means Only Now has it gone above what it was 15 years ago. So 15 years ago it was Worse. But I don't recall hearing Global Financial Crisis 15 years ago. That only seems to be a now-a-days things. Everything is Global now-a-days. The Global WOT, The Global Climate Change thing (man made global warming is so yesterday, now it's Climate Change - with ALL media outlets using the same term as if they'd received a memo to do so.)

People will say the stockmarket has Lost more than it did back in the Great Depression / Crash. But how is that in Real terms and not Devalued Currency Terms? And so the stock goes down, how does that effect the Underlying Business of the company. People still buy Coke and Pepsi don't they, regardless of the stock price?

My area continues to be resistant to whatever financial hobgoblin the media is trying to get us all to buy in to. And people I work with also find the media reporting of it to be Odd. When they look around and see Plenty of work - and companies crying out for People Who Will Work (finding someone who will work is harder than finding someone who wants a job).

And as it looks now, my area is going to remain resistant to the financial hobgoblin for quite a few years to come yet. Still 1,000 - 1,500 people a Week move into the area. They need to live somewhere. They need to spend money upon moving in - on services and goods. Roads need upgrading. And so on. The money flows. Businesses do business.

Sure there are some private projects that have come to a halt. But then again, If You Look you will Always find some project coming to a halt somewhere - regardless of what the media would have us believe.

Certain industries have slower months than others. The one I'm in typically has slow Januaries. Which is why one fellow Always takes all of January off. He doesn't want to come in and do nothing, or do half days. So while he has January off because it's slow, I just did 26 hours work in two days because of the demand - and this is slow for the industry as a whole.

Harley Davidson (HD) sold more units (broke a record) last year than any other time. I already have mentioned how motorcycle sales here have been up for ten consecutive years. Make that eleven now as 2008 was also record breaking for the industry. HD had broken its record by Nov 2008 - and HDs ain't cheap down here - $25k-ish.

The outlook for my area...

Current conditions are good. The outlook is good. Sales records are being broken. Unemployment continues to hover around 5% (which tells me that's the official "I Don't Want A Job, I'd Rather Get Paid Sit-down Money" number). And people around here scratch their heads at the reported doom and gloom we just aren't seeing.

Michael Ross
Old January 29, 2009, 01:46 AM
MichaelRoss

Default A Word On Bailouts

Recently, our lefty leader Kevin Rudd, GAVE money to Welfare Recipients to Help Stimulate The Economy. Today, it seems, the Treasurer wants to do it again.

Maybe these Elected Kings have some deeper and more instant insight into how the Country's Economy is going. Maybe they do not. But when presented with... instead of giving money to people, why not reduce taxes and let them keep what they already rightly earned, the answer is No.

And why is that? Why so reluctant to let people keep their own money - while - giving large sums of money to others?

Bailouts. By rewarding bad business practices in the form of bailouts, you discourage good business practices. And reduce fair market competition.

Think about GM for a moment... if GM receives No money from the government, what would REALLY happen. Not Theoretically happen. Really happen. Would they really close down operations? Really?

Or... would it go like this... Private Money comes in and buys them out for a discount. After all, the sale of millions and millions of vehicles (and the profit that can be had from them) is a strong lure to an Existing Motor Company who could save a pretty penny on factory set up costs.

Think about it.

If all GM did was sell 10 million cars a year. It wouldn't be like the demand for those 10m cars dried up. There would still be a market for 10m cars. And it's doubtful an existing factory could ramp up production to cover the short fall. With the result being, GM would be bought out by someone else, and New Management put in charge who could actually run the darn thing, and still sells cars under the GM brands.

And if there truly is no demand for GM cars, why put money into a worthless thing? And what happens next year when the result is the same?

Something damn odd about that, to me.

Michael Ross
Old January 29, 2009, 12:24 PM
Hugh

Default How The Government "Stimulus Package" Works

It's simple:

Peter Producer goes to work, produces a product or a service and pays taxes on his earnings for the priviledge of being a productive person. The government takes that tax money and gives it to Nick Nonproducer and Charlie Criminal. The theory is that Nick Nonproducer and Charlie Criminal will then spend Joe's money, thereby "stimulating" the economy.

Actually, however, the government simply prints and/or borrows the money and gives it to Nick Nonproducer and Charlie Criminal who will happily vote for the people who gave them the free money. Pete Producer, his children and grandchildren then get to pay it back with interest and lost buying power due to inflation . . . only as long as they are productive, of course.

Either way, Peter Producer gets the sharp end of the stick in his eye.

---- Hugh