SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old October 14, 2011, 08:26 PM
-TW

Default [Another] nifty headline idea...

"I can charge more, if you want."

Would provoke a lot of curiosity -- no?

The "angle" of course would be -- if you can't believe such a wonderful thing is being offered at such a low, low price, then -- if it'll make you feel any better -- I'll just charge you more!

Cheers.

-- TW
Old October 15, 2011, 03:17 PM
homebizdiva

Thumbs down Re: [Another] nifty headline idea...

I don't like that expression. Many times we do run into something that is less expense than what we thought and you my comment "wow is that really the price?'
Actually, I have had a merchant tell me that "I can charge more if you want". I remember I did get a little hot under the collar.
My first opinion stays, it is not nice.
Old October 15, 2011, 07:53 PM
ThePromotionalGuy.com

Default Re: [Another] nifty headline idea...

I don't believe you simply said, "Wow is that really the price?" For a retailer to tell you that means you came into their establishment and insulted them by questioning them on their pricing as though you knew better. Or you put up a stink and wanted them to drop their price and said you can get that item elsewhere cheaper.

Clearly you have never been a retail store owner. If you only knew what overhead, payroll, taxes, permitting, advertising, marketing & a score of other costs their were to maintain that business and keep it open, so you the public can come in and browse, you would be mindful enough to know their profit margins are typically less than 10%.

If you can get it cheaper elsewhere, then move on and go get it. Don't take it out on the retailer by questioning them or complaining about it.

What's really not nice is people complaining about a retailer when they have no vested interest in the business, but think the retailer has to drop their prices just to make you happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebizdiva View Post
I don't like that expression. Many times we do run into something that is less expense than what we thought and you my comment "wow is that really the price?'
Actually, I have had a merchant tell me that "I can charge more if you want". I remember I did get a little hot under the collar.
My first opinion stays, it is not nice.
Old October 15, 2011, 10:05 PM
-TW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePromotionalGuy.com View Post
I don't believe you simply said, "Wow is that really the price?" For a retailer to tell you that means you came into their establishment and insulted them by questioning them on their pricing as though you knew better. Or you put up a stink and wanted them to drop their price and said you can get that item elsewhere cheaper.

Clearly you have never been a retail store owner. If you only knew what overhead, payroll, taxes, permitting, advertising, marketing & a score of other costs their were to maintain that business and keep it open, so you the public can come in and browse, you would be mindful enough to know their profit margins are typically less than 10%.

If you can get it cheaper elsewhere, then move on and go get it. Don't take it out on the retailer by questioning them or complaining about it.

What's really not nice is people complaining about a retailer when they have no vested interest in the business, but think the retailer has to drop their prices just to make you happy.

Woody...

Maybe she was saying "Is that really the price" meaning she couldn't believe how LOW the price was -- then the merchant said, "I can charge more if you want." In which case your reply makes no sense.
Old October 15, 2011, 10:07 PM
-TW

Default Here's ANOTHER one...

"This skips a step."

everyone's looking for how to skip a step -- streamline things -- better -- cheaper -- faster, etc.

Cheers.

-- TW
Old October 15, 2011, 11:28 PM
ThePromotionalGuy.com

TW,

Had she not said this I might have believed her:

"Actually, I have had a merchant tell me that "I can charge more if you want". I remember I did get a little hot under the collar.

Having owned retail stores in the past, the only time customers get hot under the collar when a retailer says that is when you won't drop the price because they saw it somewhere else for less and love to make an issue at of it. I've seen it 1000's of times when I was in retail.

When a customer sees a deal and can't believe they have a better price in front of them and say, "Is that really the price?" and we come back with "I could charge you more if you want" their knee jerk reaction isn't anger but, "No, no I'll buy it! Did you know such and such is selling it for more?" Instead of anger it is "Thank yous and I'm going to tell all my friends to shop here." That's why I don't believe her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -TW View Post
Woody...

Maybe she was saying "Is that really the price" meaning she couldn't believe how LOW the price was -- then the merchant said, "I can charge more if you want." In which case your reply makes no sense.
Old October 16, 2011, 01:08 AM
Phil

Default [Another] nifty Headline idea(s)... The Economic Fog of Uncertainty, Bad Headlines! .

Try Spinning Things just a little...

With... The Economic Fog of Uncertainty, Bad Headlines!

Headlines into {Cash} and A [wHole] Lot More if You Play the Media and particular (Select) Niche, Marketplaces and Industries just Right! ...

Think Specialized... Specialty product... {Niche} Newsworthy Informational PR, Press Releases Etc... Etc...
http://www.google.com/search?q=The+E...ient=firefox-a

Phil
Old October 16, 2011, 05:08 AM
Eternal Optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePromotionalGuy.com View Post

Woody's right - retail stores have very slim profit margins after all expenses are paid. When you're asking for a discount, you're asking the store owner to take a pay cut. I know that there are many parts of the world where haggling really is the norm, but then the initial price of an item is quite probably padded to take account of the anticipated end result.

TW - I have been exasperated enough to tell someone once that "If I have to stand and negotiate discounts on 12 postcards, then the price goes up!" If I'd been offering a deal on postcards that day, then the label would have said so ....

Having said that, there are times when we might give a discount, especially if an item has been in the store for several months. So, it's worth asking nicely, rather than expecting to be offered a deal.

Margaret

ps don't tell everyone I said that, LOL