SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old December 13, 2008, 09:51 PM
Onwards and upwards!

Default How do you visualize?

Visualization ... Many people swear by it! From Maxwell Maltz and "Psycho-Cybernetics" ... to soccer superstar David Beckham and celebrity chef Gordon Ramsay [see the article below] ... to a lot of "New Age" gurus...

However, there are two different ways I have "visualized" in the past.

1. The first way is by imagining I am doing something, as if I am doing it. That is, I am "seeing" things from the point of view of myself doing it.

For example, if I want to visualize myself successfully writing an article, I see through "my own eyes", typing away at the computer keyboard.

2. The second way is by imagining I see myself from "outside" of myself. It is as if I am someone else, looking at myself doing whatever it is I want to do.

For example, again if I want to visualize myself successfully writing an article, using this approach I'd be seeing myself from "outside" my body, watching myself typing on the computer keyboard.

Which method do you use? Or do you use both? Or do you use a completely different technique?

Just curious what others do.

Best wishes,

Dien

P.S. Here is the article I was referring to... Some might find this interesting...

From http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/foo...osh-Spice.html
Gordon Ramsay and David Beckham are 'the same' says Posh Spice

Here's the important part...

Quote:
Rather she said they [i.e. Beckham and Ramsay] shared the same method of visualisation for achieving their goals.

Just as 'Golden Balls' [i.e. Beckham] pictured a goal and then scored, she said, the chef [i.e. Ramsay] visualised a delicious meal and then cooked it up.

Speaking about how she had increasingly used visualisation techniques since moving to California, where Beckham plays for Major League Soccer team LA Galaxy, she said: "I was talking to Gordon Ramsay and David about this the other day, and they're the same.

"Gordon visualises a meal, then figures out how to prepare it. David visualises the goal."

She used the same process to work out what costume she would wear the next day, she told The Times.

"I'll lie in bed and think, what kind of look do I want to go for tomorrow? Then I find the pieces in my mind to create it."
Old December 14, 2008, 04:08 PM
Sandi Bowman

Default Re: How do you visualize?

Depends on the subject, Dien. If it's to get well, I visualize the time/place/circumstance and tell myself I am healing that part of my body. I often have to do some research first to learn what that part looks like etc but it sure seems to speed the healing, even if it requires other intervention as well.

For driving, I visualize an event, say going into a skid, then I visualize myself remaining calm and handling it appropriately. This way my reflexes are prepared if and when such occurs. It's a kind of mind/body programming, I guess.

For problem solving, it's not quite so straight forward, unfortunately. It's a matter of exploring all the angles, gathering information, then leaving it alone and refusing to think about it until the answer occurs in a thought or dream.

I also use a variation of this technique to do complex writing chores. It works for me like a charm...study, examine angles, leave it alone. When I do sit down to write, it's all there and usually requires very little or no re-writing. It's magic!

Sandi Bowman
Old December 14, 2008, 09:36 PM
Bozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandi Bowman View Post
For driving, I visualize an event, say going into a skid, then I visualize myself remaining calm and handling it appropriately. This way my reflexes are prepared if and when such occurs. It's a kind of mind/body programming, I guess.

My partner and I developed a simple way to use visualization to stay safe on the job. For us, a safe mission would have us back at the loading area getting ready to do it again. So, before takeoff we'd just see a picture of sitting back at the loading area. It worked for me.
Old December 15, 2008, 03:09 AM
MichaelRoss

If visualizing worked as it's made out to, there'd be a lot of men having sex with Supermodels and other Celebrity women.

Unfortunately, those who Praise visualization suffer from Selective Memory. They remember when they did it and what they imagined happened. But forget when they did it and what they imagined did Not happen.

Visualizing results in nothing. While wanting something results in visualizing. Think about it.

Michael Ross
Old December 15, 2008, 03:28 AM
Onwards and upwards!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelRoss View Post
If visualizing worked as it's made out to, there'd be a lot of men having sex with Supermodels and other Celebrity women.

Unfortunately, those who Praise visualization suffer from Selective Memory. They remember when they did it and what they imagined happened. But forget when they did it and what they imagined did Not happen.

Visualizing results in nothing. While wanting something results in visualizing. Think about it.
Hi Michael,

I think there are multiple types of visualizing...

There's visualizing the process of doing something. I think that's what "Posh Spice" (Victoria Beckham) was talking about in my original post (at least that's how I interpreted it). She talked about it most explicitly when she talked about her own visualizing...

She said, "I'll lie in bed and think, what kind of look do I want to go for tomorrow? Then I find the pieces in my mind to create it."

It's clearly a process of figuring it out. Imagine that - wisdom from the "Spice Girls"!

Then there is just visualizing the end result of what you want. I think that's what visualizing being with a supermodel (for example) would be like. People don't visualize the process of how they could end up with a supermodel. They just visualize the end result, and that's it. As you mention, millions of guys do this - and very few of them end up with supermodels.

I don't think the two approaches are the same...

Then, Sandi brought up something too... Visualizing for "mind/body programming", and visualizing for "problem solving". Visualizing for problem solving is where you have an existing problem, and you use visualization to try to solve it. Visualizing for "mind/body programming" I guess is more about preparing for something in advance.

Also, I mentioned visualizing as if you are "inside" yourself, looking out, compared to visualizing as if you are "outside" yourself, looking at yourself doing something. (No one's picked up on this one yet... Maybe I'm just bonkers. )

Anyway, I think the whole thing is not necessarily as simplistic as many people make out...

- Dien

Last edited by Dien Rice : December 15, 2008 at 03:35 AM.
Old December 16, 2008, 10:38 PM
balsimon

I remember reading somewhere that it's one thing to be able to
meditate in a cave; it's quite another to be able to meditate
when a fist is smashing into your face. I strive for the latter,
but so far fall short.

My visualization is not merely visual. I also engage voice and I
attempt (with varying degrees of success) to feel (kinesthetic).
And it only works when I'm not feeling tremendous anxiety, which
has happened at times like after the Northridge Earthquake in
1994. I had a lot of difficulty letting go after that one. Which
indicates more about me than anything else.

I first "put myself" into a relaxed scene - usually on a beach or
in a forest tree house. I have no idea why the latter relaxes
me; I've never been in a forest tree house.

Then I start tying to sense what it is I want to succeed at; I
visualize the big steps I need to take. Then I ask myself "how,"
and if I don't know how, then it means I've got something to
learn. I've identified many things I don't know by this method.

Another method I use involves going to a local coffee shop and
just doodling on a sheet of paper until something begins to
emerge. I use that as a "visualization seed." I've used this to
create stories and poems, and I'm now attempting to use it to
generate ideas for information products.

Cheers,
Bal
Old December 17, 2008, 09:26 PM
SteveSki

Default Re: How do you visualize? "Change Your Mind, Change Your Life" Np2 Software can help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dien Rice View Post
Also, I mentioned visualizing as if you are "inside" yourself, looking out, compared to visualizing as if you are "outside" yourself, looking at yourself doing something. (No one's picked up on this one yet... Maybe I'm just bonkers. )

Hi Dien, More people are becoming aware of doing what you described while visualizing. Most will see themselves doing something in their minds eye. They will for example see themselves sitting in a roller coaster having fun as if they are being an outside observer watching others.

Better to visualize exactly what you would see, hear and feel looking out from inside your own self rather than watching yourself from a distance. Almost everything you do starts with a visualization of what you are thinking. You then choose to act on your vision or dismiss the thought for another one.

What you choose to visualize and act on will move you closer to your goal. To produce the results you want it really helps to focus on the exact target you want to hit in your minds eye before you act instead of striking blindly. You have to see your target before you can take aim to hit it.

Have you read the book "The Inner Game of Tennis"?

Here's a link to the Neuro-Programmer 2 website.

http://www.transparentcorp.com/produ...FRs-awodRXIPSg
The Neuro-Programmer 2 (NP2) is an innovative software application for the PC, built to help you stimulate your brain and achieve lasting personal change. NP2 combines brainwave entrainment, hypnosis, visualization and other psychological techniques to help you transform your mind and enhance your mental abilities

Cheers,
Steve Shulenski

Last edited by SteveSki : December 18, 2008 at 09:27 AM.