SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 21, 2021, 08:41 AM
Administrator

Default I assume a lot, and mostly always, I'm right.

Thanks Millard, I'm going to share what I do NOW, quick snack vs. what I did then...recurring income, OK?

Today, it is a LOOK around, ask those FEW questions, tell them I need two days (I really don't) and then go home and write up a short review with 3 to 5 USEFUL, practical tips in this report, always trying to include some shortcuts or time saving things (all businesses and people have them). THEN I OFFER them a choice, a 99 dollar PLAN OF ACTION, or a 199 IN DEPTH review or PLAN and I mostly just walk out with a 99 dollar check or invoice them. A very high rate mainly due to Reciprocity.

A couple of secrets: Stack of Paper. A couple of MAPS of their Zip code with some arrows and circles on them, a little report on marketing, maybe some forms from SBA or SCORE, things which cost me pennies, but add to the PERCEIVED VALUE.

You will find, and do a little shoe leather test in an area you probably won't work, just to do a survey, but you find most places don't do well with staying in contact with customers, referrals or with their advertising if they use any.

Just ask a business, any one you walk into, for example, if they have a Birthday Club or have thought about having one? This one curiosity question gets them thinking, and IF they want to know more, you can say it is just one of several simple little things they can do to increase business.

So, this is in and out, getting contacted from my TALK of the TOWN type websites, we have several mainly because the guy who started it has alienated so many people, other Facebook groups have popped up, but altogether they get around 30k members...and allow advertising, which is where I cull many of my initial contacts from.

They either call me or message me, asking about the FREE MARKETING APPRAISIAL, set up a time, do a little research, show up and try not to spend more than 10-15 minutes. Write up the report (dictate it now), about 10 minutes, put together the "packet" put in envelope and then drop it off at an appointment, go over it, get a feel and most of the times walk out with a 100 bux in hand, try to get several on the same street, and it adds up quickly.

Olden days, tried to sell them an ongoing consulting gig, NOT DOING that now. Now Millard, when one spends a couple of hours in the field, one sees things, I know you will too.

Maybe the signage looks bad, or there is litter, or inside has a musty odor, you will see many things which most ignore or just aren't aware of. But I walk in knowing my MANY years of experience across many businesses makes me the expert, first signal they are hostile, I'm out the door.

As for questions, lead with ones you want answered and have a solution for, for example how many of your customers WALK to your business? (If near a large residential area, a good target for fliers or community boards, see?).

Just keep it simple, keep your time under an hour all told, collect 100 bux or more as often as you want. And always get referrals too.

Gordon

PS One of the best investments ever is: I use an Olympus VN 722PC voice recorder I carry with me. I talk. Then upload the file, and NOW (used to use REV.com to have it transcribed) I'm using Sonix, thanks to Dien. Upload the file and in minutes I have a pretty clean report, add a couple of pics or graphs, it is fantastic. Takes minutes and I can usually talk for five or ten minutes in the car right after leaving their business. Love me some tech gear.

And OH, the difference between 99 and 199? The stack of paper gets bigger, mostly PLR or other free pubs I've gotten over the years, and truthfully, I rarely do one, it is mainly for a buy the cheap one NOW reaction, AND it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millard Grubb View Post
Gordon,

I like your focus on the quick snack.
Do you just look at what they are doing with the simple questions, then give an in-depth analysis with a longer questionnaire ?

I often use an long series of questions that gives me plenty of info for analysis... this series of questions many times is enough for me to pinpoint problems whereby I can offer solutions without me having to do hours of grunt work.

Is this like what you are doing in the quick snack version?

Last edited by GordonJ : May 21, 2021 at 09:00 AM.