SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old January 17, 2019, 10:23 AM
Samir

Default Here's my plan for turning $3000 into $13000 in 1 month

Are there any coffee drinkers here? If yes, you may have noticed there are new coffee shops opening up every day all over the U.S. and in fact, all over the world. While this is happening, coffee beans are trading at the lowest prices seen in the last 14 years. There are some valid reasons for this such as Brazil, which is the largest producer of Arabica coffee beans, had a bumper crop last year and produced more coffee than it ever did. When supply outstrips demand, prices fall but this time the prices have fallen so much that farmers have been forced to abandon their crops in droves.

I think all that is about to change. Brazil has been experiencing dry weather and there are good chances o El Niņo hitting this year which could be devastating. Also on the currency end, the Dollar seems to be retreating which is good because a strong dollar hurts most commodities.

So how do I plan to make money out of this? I just bought one contract of Coffee Futures for close to $3000. Current price of coffee is 102.30. If it goes to 103.30, that's $375 profit. I expect my money to at least double by the end of this month and quadruple by the end of Feb. You can follow the price of Coffee here: https://www.barchart.com/futures/quotes/KCH19

If I am wrong, I will lose $3000. No risk = No reward. Educated risk = Big reward.
Old January 17, 2019, 10:48 AM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Not so knowledgeable about futures, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir View Post
Are there any coffee drinkers here? If yes, you may have noticed there are new coffee shops opening up every day all over the U.S. and in fact, all over the world. While this is happening, coffee beans are trading at the lowest prices seen in the last 14 years. There are some valid reasons for this such as Brazil, which is the largest producer of Arabica coffee beans, had a bumper crop last year and produced more coffee than it ever did. When supply outstrips demand, prices fall but this time the prices have fallen so much that farmers have been forced to abandon their crops in droves.

I think all that is about to change. Brazil has been experiencing dry weather and there are good chances o El Niņo hitting this year which could be devastating. Also on the currency end, the Dollar seems to be retreating which is good because a strong dollar hurts most commodities.

So how do I plan to make money out of this? I just bought one contract of Coffee Futures for close to $3000. Current price of coffee is 102.30. If it goes to 103.30, that's $375 profit. I expect my money to at least double by the end of this month and quadruple by the end of Feb. You can follow the price of Coffee here: https://www.barchart.com/futures/quotes/KCH19

If I am wrong, I will lose $3000. No risk = No reward. Educated risk = Big reward.
Hi Samir,

I don't have experience with futures, but I know something about options...

I do know that with options, you can definitely make 10% to 20% in a day. You can also lose that amount (or more) too!

If you do the math, you can definitely potentially quadruple your money in a month. (In fact, if you made 20% a day, you would more than quadruple your money in 8 trading days, which is a little over 1.5 weeks. If you made 10% a day, you would quadruple your money in 15 trading days, which is 3 weeks. There are just 5 trading days a week, since the market isn't open on weekends.)

But... you can lose a lot (or even all) of your money too!

I'll just say, it's easy to lose money... For people who are interested, but don't want to take the "plunge" yet, you can paper trade, and see how you would have done if you did invest, without "real" risk...

It's not exactly the same, but I still feel it is worth doing, as you will increase your understanding by doing it...

- Dien

Last edited by Dien Rice : January 17, 2019 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old January 17, 2019, 03:39 PM

Default Be Careful SAMIR - "Futures" are Not A Level Playing Field

Thanks Samir,

I have a Client who put 10Grand into a Future Bet.

BEFORE the Market opened - the next day.

Mark Checked his munny.

SOMEONE, on the inside, had already taken 3000.00 of his 10Grand AWAY!

So.

You Should EXPECT 1 or more INSIDERS to have their Hands in Your
Pocket.

Meaning - You May not make The Munny You EXPECT to make even if
the Coffee supply goes in the Direction You Predict.

All of my mentors say IF YOU WANT to Make Munny
Steadily - Dependably - You Must CONTROL the munny Making Project or
Process.

Thanks,
Glenn
Old January 17, 2019, 04:30 PM
Samir

Default Re: Be Careful SAMIR - "Futures" are Not A Level Playing Field

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
Thanks Samir,

I have a Client who put 10Grand into a Future Bet.

BEFORE the Market opened - the next day.

Mark Checked his munny.

SOMEONE, on the inside, had already taken 3000.00 of his 10Grand AWAY!

So.

You Should EXPECT 1 or more INSIDERS to have their Hands in Your
Pocket.

Meaning - You May not make The Munny You EXPECT to make even if
the Coffee supply goes in the Direction You Predict.

All of my mentors say IF YOU WANT to Make Munny
Steadily - Dependably - You Must CONTROL the munny Making Project or
Process.

Thanks,
Glenn

In the stock market, the only thing you can really control is your risk and I think that's what you're alluding to.

I'm not sure I follow what you mean by "Insiders". Commodities are not companies, there are no Insiders. Unless you mean someone with a deeper knowledge of why Coffee is priced where it's at and not higher?

Thanks
Samir
Old January 17, 2019, 06:12 PM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Big moolah from commodity futures...

Quote:
In the stock market, the only thing you can really control is your risk and I think that's what you're alluding to.

I'm not sure I follow what you mean by "Insiders". Commodities are not companies, there are no Insiders. Unless you mean someone with a deeper knowledge of why Coffee is priced where it's at and not higher?
Hi Samir,

I do know that sometimes people try to manipulate the markets, including for commodity futures. I don't think you can manipulate the markets long term, but you can do it short term...

Here's an article about this which recently came to my attention (the guy is now under arrest)...

'Tricks from the master': How a Sydney trader landed in the centre of US fraud bust
https://www.smh.com.au/business/mark...16-p4zruh.html

On the other hand, if you figure out how to trade commodity futures, you can become a billionaire.

John W. Henry is one such guy, now worth around $2.6 billion dollars, who made his big money in futures. He also owns the Boston Red Sox.

One thing which is not widely known is that early in life (before he was famous), John W. Henry worked for Harvey Brody as an employee. (We've talked a lot about Harvey Brody here...)

John W. Henry and commodities (Wikipedia)
* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_W._Henry

John W. Henry and Harvey Brody
* https://www.90min.de/posts/5123077-t...college-degree
* https://books.google.com/books?id=pp...ots=PZKus-lHgB

(To my understanding, the above stories have it a little bit wrong, as Harvey Brody's book on blackjack to my knowledge was co-authored with Allen Goldberg. But, John W. Henry did work with Harvey Brody as an employee when he was in his early 20s or so, and undoubtedly learned some useful business insights while he worked for him...)

Of course, people don't usually reveal how to do it... If everyone knows, then it becomes less effective...

Another guy who knows how to do it is Paul Tudor Jones, who's now worth around $4.7 billion.

Paul Tudor Jones (Wikipedia)
* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Tudor_Jones

If you want insights on how he does it, find the 1987 documentary about him called "Trader". Paul Tudor Jones tried to buy up all copies of this documentary, and remove it from circulation (speculation is that he feels he reveals too much in it). However - you can find it online - it's just difficult. (Yes, I've watched it.)

Best wishes!

Dien

Last edited by Dien Rice : January 18, 2019 at 10:08 AM. Reason: clarification
Old January 17, 2019, 06:52 PM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Re: Big moolah from commodity futures...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dien Rice View Post
If you want insights on how he does it, find the 1987 documentary about him called "Trader". Paul Tudor Jones tried to buy up all copies of this documentary, and remove it from circulation (speculation is that he feels he reveals too much in it). However - you can find it online - it's just difficult. (Yes, I've watched it.)
When I watched it, it used to be hard to find! Since then, someone's put it on YouTube (a couple of months ago)...

Of course, who knows how long it'll last there...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cy43vfYaxk0

One amazing thing is, in this documentary, you see Paul Tudor Jones predict the 1987 stock market crash (and profit from it)...

He was also one of the few people who predicted (and profited from) the 2008 Global Financial Crisis!

Best wishes,

Dien
Old January 22, 2019, 01:52 AM
jeffpanicker582

Default Re: Be Careful SAMIR - "Futures" are Not A Level Playing Field

First of all, thank you for your advice. if you want to make money it doesn't happen in an overnight. you need to focus on one vision and mission.
Old January 18, 2019, 09:06 AM
Administrator

Default I like it Samir. Risk is high, reward could be too. Gamblers take chances.

Quote:

Good for you Samir.

Shawn Hackett is still bullish on coffee. My old classmate, Dennis Gartman, as seen on MSNBC, is a commodities expert, you might want to check out his newseltter, he offers a free trial. He too, keeps an eye on the weather in commodity crop countries.

I hope you guessed right.

I think, I'll play along on paper this month, only instead of 3k into coffee, I'll put my 3k of monopoly money into the LOTTERY. Could lose it all, but, could turn 1 dollar into $100,000.00 in the Ohio Rolling Cash 5 game.

3 thousand for 30 days would be 100 bux a day. Should I post my pics?

GordonJ

PS. Dennis has done pretty, pretty, pretty well in his gambling efforts.
Old January 18, 2019, 09:40 AM
Samir

Default Re: Here's my plan for turning $3000 into $13000 in 1 month

Quote:

Current price of coffee is 102.30. If it goes to 103.30, that's $375 profit. I expect my money to at least double by the end of this month and quadruple by the end of Feb. You can follow the price of Coffee here: https://www.barchart.com/futures/quotes/KCH19

As of 9:30am Est this morning, Coffee Futures are trading above 105. I was not expecting price to react so quickly but I'll take it . I am already up over $1200 and I've moved my Stop to 103.30. Now, not only will I not lose any money but if things go south from here, I will still earn a minimum of $375.
Old January 19, 2019, 07:56 AM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Re: Here's my plan for turning $3000 into $13000 in 1 month

Quote:
As of 9:30am Est this morning, Coffee Futures are trading above 105. I was not expecting price to react so quickly but I'll take it . I am already up over $1200 and I've moved my Stop to 103.30. Now, not only will I not lose any money but if things go south from here, I will still earn a minimum of $375.
Hi Samir,

That's awesome!

I think it is important to use stop-losses with this kind of thing... You can watch your losses go down, believing it will reverse - until you've lost a lot more than you should have... It's easy to do...!

(Spoken from experience. )

Best wishes,

Dien