SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 2, 2019, 10:34 PM
Administrator

Default A little trick I use, may help...or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dien Rice View Post
I've had some free time lately, and it's been difficult to figure out what to focus on (i.e. which project) to fill it...

I recently made a huge "issue tree" of all the projects I could work on... Plus sub-branches of those projects. Let's just say, the final result was pretty huge.

Now to work on whittling it down...

One thing I've been working on lately has been to focus on better decision making. As a result, I've looked into new tools to use, like making issue trees, decision trees, and so on.

I used to figure that "success" (assuming you already have the motivation) was based on...

* Your knowledge
* Your skills
* Your resources (which includes your people networks)

So I worked on all of those. (I'd say I've done pretty well by doing that...)

But now I believe I've missed one...

* The ability to make the best decision

This is not always an easy thing! You can have knowledge, skills, and great resources, and still make awful decisions which cause you lots of pain.

Improving my decision-making skills (by improving my decision-making tool box) is something I'm working on now...

Best wishes!

Dien

Yes, we all can relate.

Here is a trick. A technique, which is very powerful, and this is only a small part of it.

It comes from several sources, but 2 of the most known are THINK AND GROW RICH by Napoleon Hill and his oft cited "weird" section on INVISIBLE guides. Using his imagination he created a round table of dead men to ask them for their wisdom. It is probably the least read or used chapter in his book.

The second source, is from Mike Marvel (aka Frank Rudolph Young) another very "weird" idea guy. FRY wrote several books on yoga, health and mind magic, etc. Anyhow, here is the gist of the method.

I have real people, alive, that I can confer with. I have others, like Harvey Brody, albeit still alive, I consult with the many hours of audio I have with him, and then there are people from my past who I can easily recall.

Say health. I had a friend in the Navy, Jack. He was the most fit, energetic guy I knew.

Today, as I'm focusing oh what goes into my mouth as part of my regimen toward good health, when I come to the decision I ask myself, out loud,

what would Jack do? What would his choice be to maintain his great health, fit and athletic body, high energy levels? What choice would he make?

What would Jack say to me, right now, about what I am about to decide?

Man O man, it is MAGIC. Or seems like it. I can almost hear him, very clearly see a pic of us, which I look at from time to time, with us both sitting on a bench at the beach in our swim suits. He looks like the California surfer, the sort of like Frank Kern only with good looks...and I am there all Lumpy AND Ohio flabby.

What would Jack do?

I have other go to MODELS, OR CONSULTANTS, on my decision making methods.

And one other tid bit secret, I flood myself with the emotion of being there with Jack (or whomever) and get to laughing, soaking up his energy and thanking him for his good advice. Which I can always ignore (but he does give me a disappointing look).

Weird? Well that's never bothered me.

But using invisible consultants, living or gone from this world, and choosing ones you respect and have a lot of good feelings about, comes in so handy.

Every once in a while, in a face to face situation, I ask, What would Elmer do? And gosh darn, both those dapper old salesmen of yesteryear come to my aid and give some pretty good advice. Often, I hear something about sizzle and commissions don't fall from heaven (or you don't get paid, laid or made doing nothing).

Who would you confer with re: a decision about investing? What would he/she do?

Try it, might be surprised.

Just be aware, both Napoleon Hill and myself lost our minds with the help of invisible friends, HA!

GordonJ