SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old September 3, 2015, 01:14 AM
Rusaph

Default Some pointers needed on Chatteling

Hello,

Since I could hardly find any information about Gordon's chatteling report on this forum, I was worried that this might not be the best place to ask. With Gordon and Dien both busy, I was hoping someone here was more experience can help me with some hints.

I have purchased the Chatteling report and started to implement it, but kept getting stuck on the way. Some resources mentioned in the guide, that I found locally, are obsolete, or simply because I don't know where to look.

I've tried to look at hints from other threads on this forum concerning chatteling, but may be because I am still not bright enough that I can't figure out where to find the buyer for my first item.

If this is not an appropriate place for this information (due to the little amount of information available on this subject), I apologize.

Thanks,

Rusaph
Old September 3, 2015, 10:05 AM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Re: Some pointers needed on Chatteling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusaph View Post
Hello,

Since I could hardly find any information about Gordon's chatteling report on this forum, I was worried that this might not be the best place to ask.
Hi,

I've sent you a detailed email reply, with a real example, and with "live" data of something you could buy now for $50, and right away "flip" for $80-$90...

These kinds of deals are everywhere (and for much higher profits, too), when you know how to look for them (as the Chattel Report explains)...!

Best wishes!

Dien
Old September 3, 2015, 02:48 PM
ernie

Could you send one to me also Dien.
Old September 3, 2015, 03:06 PM
hockeycoachdoug

Dien- perhaps you could post it here for everyone to see a good live example. Thanks in advance.
Old September 3, 2015, 10:37 PM
Administrator

Default Dien's example.

[...]

Thanks Dien,

I want to note...

this is low end stuff, but, 30 bux a day should get you in the habit of looking for stuff.

Higher end examples go to cars, boats even "distressed" merchandise...the store BIG LOTS is an example of corporate chatteling and there is still opportunity to buy here sell there, even if here is USA and there is India (or wherever) the old adage,

one ze's junk is anther ze's treasure is also true of countries too.

The one place where most chattelers fail is, not getting to know a market and not using time to make connections.

But 30 bux, 300 or 3,000 a day are all levels people are chatteling at, and this still pretty much at local levels.

Gordon

Last edited by Dien Rice : September 3, 2015 at 11:36 PM.
Old September 4, 2015, 03:04 AM
Rusaph

Default Re: Dien's example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonJ View Post
[...]

The one place where most chattelers fail is, not getting to know a market and not using time to make connections.

Gordon

That's where I'm having the problem. With things like classified ads and phone books going away, I have trouble thinking of places that I can make the connections. Buying is easy once I know the prices are good, (by following the guide, or using Ebay), it's the selling that I'm struggling with
Old September 4, 2015, 08:01 AM
Administrator

Default Can you share some examples?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusaph View Post
That's where I'm having the problem. With things like classified ads and phone books going away, I have trouble thinking of places that I can make the connections. Buying is easy once I know the prices are good, (by following the guide, or using Ebay), it's the selling that I'm struggling with

What have you bought? How did you try to sell it?

Dien and I can offer some help to all members of the forum who may be new to chatteling.

Today, I still look in the classified ads of local papers BECAUSE there is a small segment of the population which doesn't want "craigslist types" coming to their homes, and somehow think local readers are different...

BUT, I could just use craigslist, Amazon and eBay as the only tools I would need, however, knowing people in your community who specialize is a valuable asset.

Gordon
Old September 4, 2015, 10:02 AM
sandalwood

How about freecycle? I haven't used it to get anything so I am wondering if anyone has done so. From what I read a person can get some decent items for nothing and sell them for a few bucks.

Just asking to get a feel for this particular source.

Thanks...
Old September 4, 2015, 11:16 AM
trevord92

Freecycle is a race.

I've used it to get rid of stuff I didn't want and almost everything goes super-fast, even a heavy old-school CRT television that I stated need two people to lug it out of the property.

And a working tumble drier was not just claimed but also collected within about an hour of posting.

If you're super fast then you can pick some good stuff up but you will need to be lightning fast if my experience is anything to go by.

When I've listed stuff there, I've kept a waiting list (because people have asked to be kept on it) but rarely had to use it. And I kept the total list to one person as from experience if the first person doesn't collect (rare) then the second will be round like a shot.

To date, about the only thing I couldn't give away on Freecycle was a corded phone.
Old September 4, 2015, 12:35 PM
Administrator

Default I'm personally not big on Freecycle or local facebook groups.

Facebook groups have become popular due to a risk associated with craigslist, we are the county where the "craigslist killer" got his start.

I agree freecycle is a hustler's game, I like daily MUNDANE, nothing heavy, back of the car, easy to transport UNLESS, it is a bigger deal, where moving and trucks are involved.

I also preach against storage, I know some, like Mike Senoff, teach to wait for the right price, I still believe that circulation beats storage all day long.

I find plenty on craigslist, but, if your area is more rural, you may need other venues.

The objective is to keep the money in motion, and build it up.

Gordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevord92 View Post
Freecycle is a race.

I've used it to get rid of stuff I didn't want and almost everything goes super-fast, even a heavy old-school CRT television that I stated need two people to lug it out of the property.

And a working tumble drier was not just claimed but also collected within about an hour of posting.

If you're super fast then you can pick some good stuff up but you will need to be lightning fast if my experience is anything to go by.

When I've listed stuff there, I've kept a waiting list (because people have asked to be kept on it) but rarely had to use it. And I kept the total list to one person as from experience if the first person doesn't collect (rare) then the second will be round like a shot.

To date, about the only thing I couldn't give away on Freecycle was a corded phone.