SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old May 18, 2007, 08:56 PM
MichaelRoss

Default WANTED: Your Participation - The info in this post could make you money

Forum "Friends"

Thanks for checking out this Entry.

Please take your time and see your Payout further on. YOu may get a Brain Explosion.

It is said, where there is little to lose by trying and Much to gain, then by all means Try. And it is That Thought I'd like you to keep with you as you go over these words...

On this and other Boards, we often mention Interesting businesses and business ideas. However, a lot of those businesses and ideas are really Population Dependent - you need to live in a suitably large town/city for the idea to work, because it just won't work in Small Town USA. Not enough to Make A Living (MAL).

And we talk about Home Based businesses. But again, running a business from home could be applied to any Builder, Carpet Cleaner, Pest Guy and so on. Their businesses are Home Based (Based/Operated from the Home). And as such, they are also Population Dependent.

Even some of the quirky money making things (I recall one about taking photos of car crashes, or selling a Kit to drivers to keep in the glove compartment in case of crashes) require a Large Population Base to be profitable.

And so we then have the Make Money Online (MMO) idea. Where we can Stay Home and make our money. Enabling us to live just about anywhere, including that mythical hammock on the beach. But the MMO crowd is somewhat circular - make money online selling info on how to make money online... arrrrggghhhhh.

And I am wondering if the Wrong Question has been Asked all this time. Instead of the usual Forum Question of "how can I make money at home" or "how can I make money online" - which are somewhat general and vague - I am thinking a slightly Different Question needs to be asked. Such as...

"How can I generate an income (MAL) no matter Where I live?"

Or more specific...

"How can I make $X a year no matter Where I live?"

And even more specific...

"How can I make $X a year starting with less than $X no matter Where I live?"

See the difference from the Original "how can I make money at home" question. Answers to which include...

Home typing, home sewing, home dress making, drafting house plans from home, home office psychology service, home massage therapy room, home worm growing, home woodworking, and so on and so forth.

Answers to the "how can I make money online" Restrict you to selling downloadable information, software and site access - either stuff you create yourself or as an affiliate. And can take as much time, and in some cases more time, than a normal offline job. Something Ricky Higgs alluded after he appeared from nowhere, sold his MMO ebook and then subsequently disappeared as if he'd never been. Discovering for himself about the Myth of the Online Megabucks, that it was Easier to Work A Job for the same money (get up, go to work, come home is easier than learning all about webpage and search engine optimising, marketing via forums and email and so on).

And while everyone Can write a Hotsheet, many people don't want to or simply won't. Maybe they can't write well, or feel that way. Maybe they can't be bothered. Or have their own reasons. Other's can't be bothered to learn to write software Code, or spend money at rentacoder or elance to have something created that might not fly. Creating a site, or selling anything as an affiliate is, again, something they might not want to bother with - requires all that website registration, email list building and marketing and stuff.

I once asked, "If you were totally restricted to marketing only to people in LA, would you even bother starting a Direct Marketing/Mailorder business"? I asked because that is the reality of people in Australia, as far as population goes. And it's even worse for people in New Zealand with a population of around 3 million all up.

And again we find, all the Business Ideas are Population Dependent. So if you live in tiny Tonasket in Washington State with a population of 995, any "sew from home" or home-based pest business or whatever, just ain't gonna enable you to MAL. You can do that IF you live in a town/city with a large enough population to allow you to do that, but not from any small town.

And That's why I ReFormulated the question. So an Answer to it would help a City Dweller as well as a Small Town Dweller. The question again...

How can I generate an income (MAL) no matter Where I live?"

Or more specific...

"How can I make $X a year no matter Where I live?"

And even more specific...

"How can I make $X a year starting with less than $X no matter Where I live?

And I'd like to Throw Open the question to YOU. And ask to think Beyond my examples below - although Expanding or Adding To those examples is fine. And while it'd be great if you would share your answers to the question, if you don't want to, then don't. But at least try to answer the question For Yourself.

I feel The Usual Suspects will be the only ones to Chime in. But even if you are a lurker who has never posted before, jump in even as a Guest and offer a thought.

My preliminary and general anwers include...

Finding. Jim Straw's written The Bible on Finding, in case you want to know more. And the way I see Finding is this... if a person is Willing to Spend 40 hours a week for 50 weeks a year (2000 hours in total) for $30k, then they should be willing to spend the same amount of time to Find something which will also make that, and certainly which will make a Lot more. Yet they won't. A 1% fee on a million dollar machinery deal is $10k. An amount which would take 4 months to make in a job but which people won't bother Finding if they haven't done so in a couple of weeks. Go figure.

Toll Positions. Similar to Finding but with Ongoing Residuals - something which Could be put into place with items you find. Toll Story...

Guy is in Germany on vacation. Sees a product not being sold Outside of Germany. ASKs if he can acquire the World Wide rights for $100,000. They accept. He puts down $1,000 deposit, with the rest to be paid in 6 months. Has a lawyer draw up Country Rights and sells 80 country rights for $25,000 a pop, making him a cool two million smack-a-roos, and pays the remaining $99k for his rights. But the deal is better still because he also gets five cents for each Unit sold. If they sell a million a year he makes an extra fifty grand - a grand a week, easy money.

Import/Export. Like Finding, Jim Straw has a work on this too, in case you want to know more. Though his work covers Exporting more than Importing, which is fine. And if exporting, like finding, you find an overseas buyer and put the deal together (to put it simply and without going onto those "how to" details). But here is a variation on how one guy did it...

He found a supplier of a product overseas. He got prices from them. Added on his Profit and then Physically went and Got Orders From Retailers. When the combined orders totalled a Shipping Container Full he brought it in, then distributed them to his customers. He made a Killing on each container - in fact doing this made him a multi-multi-millionaire in a couple of years - but it did require him to Travel. Travel to make the sale and travel to deliver the goods once they had arrived.

Another guy would ASK Permission to supply Samples and Prices for Blazer Badges. If agreed to his request the Client would Send him a Badge Sample (an image was fine) and he would send the sample to Several businesses in Pakistan and India and request they make Samples (so he could see their work quality) and provide prices. He'd take the Best Quality and Price, add his Profit and then Send the Sample to the client with a Bid. He knew nothing about making such badges and owned no badge making equipment.

Dropshipping. Jim Straw comes to the rescue again with his Mailorder report. Basic idea is... you sell a product, the customer sends you the money, you take your cut and send the rest to the supplier who ships to the customer. And while a viable idea, does require an ability to generate a list of some description.

A guy I know has a Friend who makes money doing this with Replacement Parts for Radio Controlled Cars. And he does it via a website. People visit his website catalog and buy a part. He takes his cut and sends the Order Request to his supplier in Hong Kong who ships it to the customer for him.

Ebay Chattling. Another guy I've spoken with runs ads in his state for car parts to a certain car. He arranges to meet those who respond to his WANTED ads and goes on Weekend Buying Trips. He then sells these car parts on Ebay and makes some Nice money.

There are Other Methods I have in mind but want to hear your thoughts and see what you have to say on it.

What Methods or Examples do you know of that allow a person to MAL regardless of where they live (assuming they do live in a Modern country and not in a tent in the middle of the Malaysian jungle)?

Michael Ross
Old May 18, 2007, 11:04 PM
SteveSki

Default Re: WANTED: Your Participation - This post will only make money for those who act!

Michael, Thanks for making me think. I do pretty good with a home based portrait studio but I’m still limited by population density. The only way for me to expand is to travel more myself. I could do more shoots by taking my portable studio to my customers home or place of business or hire and train others to duplicate my system in their own area or charge a percentage of the profits they make using my setup. Also can sell written instructions and video trainings online. But what I do can only be duplicated by someone who is passionate about photography.

To answer your question…..
“What Methods or Examples do you know of that allow a person to MAL regardless of where they live (assuming they do live in a Modern country and not in a tent in the middle of the Malaysian jungle)?”

How about an example of someone using access to free computer time at the local library because they don't own a desktop or laptop they can take to the beach with them?

How about an example of a 15 year old Mexican girl who uses pay per click ads to promote affiliate programs? Seems to me anyone could do that but most won’t so many people are forever restricting themselves to a regular 9 to 5 job in the offline world.

Chris Carpenter who wrote “Google Cash” back in 2003 has just released
a new, fascinating free report called “Google Cash Strikes Back”.

It appears to be a brilliant viral campaign for him because anyone who downloads the free report is paid 50/Cents for every person they tell who also downloads it.

Plus you are entered into a free contest to win a trip to Mexico to spend a week with Chris showing you the ropes. His free report also contains a link to a free video where he gives you a $20,000+ per month campaign to copy.

Chris says profitable PPC ad campaigns are being targeted by those quick to use new intelligence tools like his cash detective. He compares someone who has created a profitable Google Adwords PPC to a miner using a pick and shovel to dig his gold. Then one day someone shows up with a steam shovel, bulldozer and a dump truck and puts you out of business by stealing your claim. But he compares his new tools to a space ship. He has an image of a UFO shooting a beam down to earth on the cover of his free report and gives an example how a 15 year old Mexican girl he shared this with is making money.

I was wondering if there are any independent reviews from people using his tools? I suspect that question will likely go unanswered by those who are profiting from these tools. Chris will profit from both using and selling the tools. Kinda like selling picks and shovels to the gold prospects back in the 1800’s but today it’s selling high tech UFO like tools to people who will purchase them but never get around to actually doing any digging with them. The little guy working his fanny off will never know what hit him when others use technology to gain a completive advantage.

Anyway someone with a laptop can promote affiliate programs using PPC or ads on websites like your ads on SOWPUB for the “The Success Report” from just about anywhere including the beach.

Chris Carpenter's 60 second video spiel is done from a windy Mexican beach. If you haven’t read his report or seen the video you can do a google for “Google Cash Detective or click on visit this link http://snipurl.com/GoolgeCashDectective if you don’t mind him paying me 50/cents for sharing it.

Cheers,

Steve Shulenski
www.MaverickPhotographer.com
Old May 19, 2007, 01:27 AM
DBeavers

Default Re: WANTED: Your Participation - The info in this post could make you money

Michael,

Online sales work for a lot a people, and not just the usual eBay selling.

I remember reading about a online entrepreneur who set up a website selling only black socks. He went on the proposition that some people will buy online to avoid going to a store to buy something as everyday as socks.

Only after he had established his "black socks only" sales, did he expand and offer online sales of "white socks only".

There are at least 2 major groups buying online - individuals and business/industry buyers. Instead of purchases of one of these and a half dozen of those ($10 to $1000 purchases), the business buyer offers the possibility of online customers ordering 100 to 10,000 items as a time or literally ($100 to $100K) per purchase.

I don't know about you, but given a choice, I'd rather make a small percentage of the business orders, rather than a mountain of the small orders.

KAESER & BLAIR, INC.

I've been selling for them for over 13 years, but I have sufficient market to do well in my local and regional area. But others with limited markets, as well as some who have no desire to do face-to-face selling are capturing part of the online market for promotional advertising products. Since the US market for promotional items is $18 Billion annually, a person getting a reason niche of the online orders can easily MAL selling to the online buyers.

Kaeser & Blair has several dealers who are selling 90 to 100% of their volume via the internet, including a handful who are in the "Top 30" of K & Bs approximate 4000 dealers. These are individuals achieving sales volumes of $300K and up from the comfort of their home, and definitely reaching the MAL zone.

Because I established my 23-year old business offline well before the internet was a possibility, I focus on serving those offline customers I have established, but have added online sales to boost my total volume and income.

One of the great thing about selling promotional products online, is that a buyer can expect to build a residual income from those customers who will order both the same item as well as different products on a regular basis. I have some online clients who have been ordering from me for 4 to 5 years, including one university in California and a health insurance support internet support company in Virginia who started ordering 6 years ago when they were based in Florida.

My online order average is considerably larger than my local order ($1000 compared to $400), but the bigger difference has been in the bigger orders. I've had single orders from online buyers between $1000 to $38,000 several times in the past 6 years, including one that was for Panasonic.

Although the K & B dealership is restricted to US residents, there's no reason why an online entrepreneur in Canada, Europe, or even Down Under couldn't find a promotional products distributor in their country who would be interested in having an online salesforce bringing them orders off the internet.

As long as the US resident has regular access to the internet (not 2 hours per day 6 days a week at the library), I don't see why anyone is the states couldn't expect to MAL online if they can drive targeted buyers to their website.

And, since the K & B dealership is free, with no products or inventory or buy and resell, this opportunity meets the second criteria for your online opportunity.

Dennis Bevers
BASSCO, Inc.
www.CuttingEdgeAdvertising.com
Old May 19, 2007, 01:54 AM

Default Re: WANTED: Your Participation - The info in this post could make you money

Stock Exchange. No crowds needed for trading stocks.

Similar example is Forex.

Writing.
Painting.
Drawing cartoons.

* Anything that can be "syndicated" allows you to work and make a living from anywhere in the world

* Or if the work can't be syndicated, then if you find a broker who can sell the things for you - you can work and make a living from anywhere

(For eg: there are quite a few people in India who live in villages that have a population of 200-300 people and create traditional Indian jewelry or clothes or pots etc. They don't sell their wares in their own villages. But rather, sell it to just 1 or 2 brokers who come to them once or twice every month. And these brokers than sell the stuff in big cities.)
Old May 19, 2007, 02:23 AM
Goldblogger

Default This May Sound Stupid... But It Works...

Aloha Michael,

Fantastic question -- and one that is familiar to me.

I took a left turn with my business in December. I decided to start weening myself from incestuous "Make Money On The Internet" stuff I was doing. I see big changes coming down the pipe.

I decided to pack up my belongings and moved from big city Atlanta, Georgia to the small coastal town of Blaine, Washington. In fact, Tonasket is just on the other side of the cascades from me...

What do I do? I decided to take my love of martial arts and combine it with my love of marketing.

I became a marketing consultant for martial arts school owners -- and do everything via phone!

My blueprint and business model?

Jeff Paul's course "How To Make A Surgeon's Income As A Part-Time Home-Based Business Consultant" that I bought on EBay for $27.

My first client fell in love with what I was teaching him -- and I was hooked! With what I have learned about Information marketing and copywriting over the years, I know I will be able to squeeze millions out of this niche.

Aloha,

Jason Cain
Old May 19, 2007, 03:24 AM
Phil

Michael,

In Today's high tech world...

I Don't think we're really restricted or Population Dependent...

The Offline and Online business possibilities are Unlimited by imagination and hard work...

Whether you Need Local demographics, population or niche Search demographics...

Google, MSN, Yahoo... and all the Free research & Help to get the required info...

http://www.refdesk.com/factpop.html
http://www.freedemographics.com/
http://www.keywordworkshop.com/pages/Free-Tools-Listing
http://freekeywords.wordtracker.com/

Focusing & Starting just One business idea is the Real Problem for Many...

The Perfect Solution to your post...

Here we go Again...

Light Bulb Moments With Perry Marshall
Sharon Odom Fling
http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthre...SPECTING+ideas...

Phil
Old May 19, 2007, 09:31 AM
jfstraw

Default Thank you, Michael ...

I do greatly appreciate your kind remarks.

Over the past 50 years, so many people have asked me ... "Can I really be a millionaire?" ... I sat myself down and wrote a new report ...

"You Can Be A Millionaire"

And ... I'm giving it away to anyone who wants a copy.

Get yours at: http://www.businesslyceum.com/millionaire.html

Read it in good wealth.

Jim
Old May 19, 2007, 09:32 AM
Skip Rosell

Default Re: WANTED: Your Participation - Not That Hard, IMHO

Hi Michael,

Thank you for asking.

Before I give my answer let me say I have not posted lately but I have been lurking and picking up all the great ideas that are given freely on this board. Thanks to all who have given so much to so many.

Today with the Internet I believe anyone, anywhere, can make a living. With a computer and an Internet connection you can twist and turn what you find as you surf the net into CASH.

Here is an example. In Jan. 2007 I ran across the book $7 Secrets. Most of you know about this book but how many have made money with it?

If you read the book and said, that's great, but I don't know how to make a web page or I don't understand PHP and all that coding, you most likely put the book up on your computers bookshelf and did nothing with it, right?

Some people, even Sowpubbers, have made a ton of money with the IDEA behind this book without a website, auto-responder, list, programming, etc. I have seen the signature links for this book on many forums, including here and these people are making money without their own website or any of that other mumbo jumbo. No it is not a full time living to sell this one book…..

BUT, let’s take this a step further and twist and turn it a little bit. After I bought the book I received an email from Jonathan Leger about a site he started to let other people sell their books using his method. I went to the site and found over 100 books listed that I could sell by just changing the URL to include my Paypal address and get the CASH right away into my Paypal account. Now today there are over 550 books listed.

So I set up a PPC campaign (which does not take much knowledge because Google walks you through the process) and between early Jan. and the first of May, I sold over 1,000 books. I won’t say how many over a thousand but I am happy.

I spent about 30 minutes a week to do that. No long hours hunting keywords, all I did was list the Author and Title as keywords with misspellings and that was my total keyword list. Now I’m not telling you this to brag, I am telling you this to lay the groundwork for a free offer. I don’t even want your email address (or your first born ) to get the information. I want to show you that anyone that wants to try can make a full time income from anywhere if you think of how to twist and turn an idea.

Now I took this one step further and thought how would this work with other Authors, even more famous Authors? It worked like a charm. I would list a popular book with the Authors name and send them to a book club site for that category of books. If my listed book was a mystery then I sent them to a “Mystery Book Club” page and of course I get a commission on any purchases.

By twisting and turning an idea it can lead to other ideas that bring in CASH. How about taking that same idea and set it up for people who love woodworking? You could send them to a site that sold woodworking plans, woodworking equipment or woodworking tools. And you make money on each and every buyer. Heck, just pick a category and find the popular Authors for that niche, set up a campaign and off you go.

Now I have made this sound easy, IT IS NOT. You have to work to learn and to search out the Authors and to write the ads and so forth. But once you learn you have that knowledge FOREVER.

On some of my $7 offer campaigns I got a total of 10 or 15 clicks a month with a sale or two but they were profitable. I had to set up quite a few campaigns to make those sales but I did the work and now they just set there bringing in the CASH.

Now it is your turn if you want to do the work. I will give you a head start by given you the knowledge. I wrote a quick report just for Sowpubbers that you can download FREE. No email address needed.

http://makemoneyalert.com/sowpub.htm

Best of success,

Skip

P.S. By the way Michael, I don’t think the Auto Accident Kits are “quirky money making things” but then I am the author and love my work.
Old May 19, 2007, 11:16 AM
MichaelWinicki

Good question Michael...

I think my answer is more for the person that is looking to generate a consistent 6-figure income year after year using a reliable system.

I personally like a system where:

1. You offer a product that is already being searched for on Google.

2. You either go head-to-head with existing vendors and attempt to beat them based upon...
A. Better marketing/sales copy.
B. A lower price to the end-user.
C. Faster delivery.
D. Additional "bonuses" given.
OR
You offer a slightly "better" product at either the same or less money.

Heck you could actually employ both strategies at once via two separate sites.

3. Use a fulfillment company to process and ship the orders.

What kind of product should you consider offering?

My gosh with the ability to have just about any product under the sun made, improved upon or just "knocked off" let your imagination run wild!

Is this business model going to cost you some up front money in order to get it going? You bet. But if you played your cards right I'm sure it would cost less than $10,000 to start.

And if you don't have that sort of scratch to get it going use one of the other methods listed at the start of this thread. That's what I did, I sold info products mostly via ebay until I built up enough of an "investment war chest" which allowed me to take my business to the "next level".

But the fact is this type of business model can be used just about anywhere in the world that has Internet access.

Here's a real life example of how one business is using the net to access customers in a way that you would not have thought was feasible...

In my business I go thought a ton of address labels and for the last 2 years I've been getting them from this one website that offers reasonably fast service and decent prices... http://www.addresslabels4u.com/

Well come to find out they're located in the U.K. and they've done a wonderful job of selling to customers within the U.S. and Canada. Heck by looking at the site you wouldn't know they were based in the U.K. They have done a wonderful job at eliminating "borders", "oceans" and entire countries from the buying decision.
Old May 19, 2007, 07:05 PM
MichaelRoss

Default Lightbulb Bux

Phil,

Thanks for a Bright thought.

Company in Australia imports and sells lightbulbs. Sales were OK but they wanted better. So they...

1: Approached businesses with the offer to Change Lightbulbs As Needed - on call and via a regular schedule - via a Lightbulb Maintanance Contract

2: Charge the business on a Til Forbid basis which gets up to X visits a month for free (like how elevator companies work with their Maintanance Contract).

3: Having worked this system well, they then offer Franchises - other people pay them for the right to sell their lightbulbs to others under the terms of the first two steps. Thus the company Increases sales of their imported lightbulbs.

Note: I just ReVisited their website and they have changed the above, just a bit. Buit essentially it is the same. You can see their site here: http://www.mrglobologist.com

Essence of what they do...

1: Import Consumable Product
2: Offer Replacement Schedule on Til Forbid basis (or on call)
3: Offer others the Chance to jump in at step 2, to sell the product they import.

Similar to MLM, but a tad different.

It's close to being able to MAL from anywhere, for them. But it didn't start that way. Though their Model is a good one to know.

Michael Ross