SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old February 16, 2011, 10:26 AM
Skip Rosell

Default Coffee Mugs Another way to sell them

Hi my friends,

Since there has been some talk about coffee mugs lately I found another report that I will give to you for free.

I think I wrote this report in 2003 or 2004 when real estate was hot! Now that it looks like it may be rebounding it is a good time to be the first in your area to start this business up again.

The "cheap" realtor's, as Don calls them, will love this program because it is free to them.

Here is the link and best of success.

http://makemoneyalert.com/openhouse.pdf

Skip Rosell

Last edited by Skip Rosell : February 16, 2011 at 11:42 AM.
Old February 16, 2011, 11:04 PM
Mugs Across America, Inc.

Smile Re: Coffee Mugs Another way to sell them

Hi Skip,
It's an interesting idea, but seems like an awful lot of work getting a lot of people to play ball, Seems very time consuming and what if the person you bring the mug to doesn't want to participate after you just spent $11 to make 1 mug up for them? If 10 people say no after doing that you start out losing $100 plus freight cost of shipping each one to you and all the time you have wasted laying out the ad for the potential purchaser... and again as I stated in earlier posts with Don Alm, about selling ads onto restaurant mugs, which we do and have now for 25 years, It's tough to get advertisers to pay $500 to put an ad on mugs, especially if not that many people are going to get one. At least when you sell the ads to local businesses to have their ads printed on restaurant coffee mugs, the amount of people that will actually take the time to read the ads is phenomenal. Hundreds of people every day, day in and day out for a full year. The mugs we use are fully vitrified and we have completely eliminated the "age old " Breakage and chipping problem you get when using ASI cheap promo mugs or those cheap ceramic chemically coated dye sublimation mugs. The dye sub mugs are the worst. They are ceramic, not even porcelain, and the handles will actually fall off of them after being subject to several washings in the heat of the commercial dishwashers. I do wish you luck with your realtor program though. If someone has the drive to line up all the different players, you can make it work. If you would ever welcome the idea of selling the ads on the Restaurant/commercial grade vitrified mugs that we offer free to restaurants, We pay over 55% commission when the ad price is set at $189.
You sell each ad at approx. $189 to run 1 year and we pay you $100 of the $189. That leaves us only $89 per ad to buy the highest quality mugs made, layout all 8 ads for you, send each ad proof to the customer and get the art /proof approval for you, make the silk screens, pay my screen printers to print each mug, fire each mug at $1600 degrees. (Glass temp) not low fire 1100 degrees that asi suppliers fire at, where ink can chip off after restaurant abuse. --- then repack them and ship them directly to the restaurant. WE PAY FOR ALL THAT WITH OUR $89 while you are paid $100 of the $189 for selling the ad. I know for a fact that there isn't a company in this world that pays that well. If you chose to sell the ads for $285 instead of the $189 that we suggest, YOU would make all the difference your self. If you sell the ad for $285 to run 1 year on every mug in the restaurant, at least 180 mugs, We would still only keep $89 per ad and you, the ind. contractor would be paid the remaining $196 in commissions X times 8 ads equals = $ 1568 in commissions and you'd be selling ads at about 1/2 of what DON ALM would be charging. Check us out at mugsacrossamerica dotcom
we would love to set you up or anyone interested in this concept, especially in Oregon! We provide you protected territory also. If you would like to see a few pictures of the quality products we offer to our Ind. Contractors who want to claim a small section of this beautiful country of ours as their own personal territory of Mugs Across America, Inc. Check out the web site at mugsacrossamerica .com and click on "Restaurant Mug Advertising" We also have the unbreakable poly carbonite tumblers and beer mugs, and pint glasses with ads imprinted on them too.
We use only all AMERICAN MADE pint glasses and beer mugs and we high fire them twice so they become "Tempered" and resist breaking. Hope to hear from you or anyone else interested in truly " The easiest sale ever made" 1 year long ads on every mug in the restaurant for under 198 dollars a year!
Old February 17, 2011, 09:55 AM
Skip Rosell

Default Re: Coffee Mugs Another way to sell them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugs Across America, Inc. View Post
Hi Skip,
It's an interesting idea, but seems like an awful lot of work getting a lot of people to play ball, Seems very time consuming and what if the person you bring the mug to doesn't want to participate after you just spent $11 to make 1 mug up for them? If 10 people say no after doing that you start out losing $100 plus freight cost of shipping each one to you and all the time you have wasted laying out the ad for the potential purchaser...

Hi Mark,

Thank you for responding.

You seem to have a good program and I'm sure a person can make money from your plan. But I must not have explained my plan right. You only spend about $12 to set up the whole program Until you received the money from advertisers.

Here are the steps.

1. Order 1 mug with Realtor's business card printed on it. (You can use any Realtor in the area you are working.)

2. Take that sample to any Realtor and let them know you will put THEIR info on 100 mugs like the sample and give them the mugs for free to hand out at open houses.

3. Take same sample to businesses in the area and put Their business card in the mug with small candy samples so the mug looks like a gift Item.

(If you do not have their business card, pick one up at the front desk and place it in the cup before seeing the boss.

The best way to find businesses that will advertise is to get business cards off of bulletin boards or use business card size ads out of newspapers and hand outs.

If using ads just print the ads on card stock from your printer and cut to business card size or use preform business card stock from Staples. (One card for each advertiser as a sample in the mug.)

4. pick up deposit from advertisers and order mug with copy for whatever Realtor you are using for that area.

5. Fill each mug with business cards or Frig magnets for each advertiser and deliver to the Realtor. ( you can also sell each advertiser the business cards or the magnets)

6. The Realtor signs for the mugs with an agreement to hand out at open houses.

7. Collect the balance from the advertisers.

By doing the above you only spend $12 until you have the advertisers deposit to pay for the mugs. In fact you will have some of your profit when you pick up the deposits.

If a business wanted to send a mailing to 100 prospects it would cost at least one dollar to put together an envelope and flier and mail it. Plus the cost of a prospect list on labels or on envelopes.

To get targeted prospects (like new home owners in the area) each name would cost at least 50 cents. And that is not the best list because the list brokers use the county deed records that are recorded months later.

In fact I do not know any other way besides "open houses" to get to the new homeowner prospects so you are the first to contact them with advertisers info.

You can also make this more powerful by making the business cards into discount coupons.

You only spend $12 of your money and all the rest of the expenses are paid for by the advertisers up-front.

Hope that clears up cost issue.

Best of success,

Skip Rosell

Last edited by Skip Rosell : February 17, 2011 at 10:02 AM. Reason: add info
Old February 17, 2011, 01:46 PM
Adman

Hey Skip.....to make "Sample Coffee Cups"....
...Go to a Dollar Store and buy "C" Handle Cups for cheapo
...Go to Staples and buy a pack of "White, Full Sheet Labels"
...On a Graphics Program (I use MSPUB) make up some "Labels" 8"wide by 3"high....with Sample Logos or Ads
...Cut Labels to the 8 by 3 size and stick on Cups making sure Label is evenly spaced from both sides of handle

I can make up as many Samples as I need....instantly. I tell prospects that this is a "Label"...actual pieces will be "Inked".

Also....Nice AD for "Mugs Across America" guy. I'd rather use Google and my Telephone to find a "Mug Supplier"....where I can buy "Vitrified Coffee Mugs" for 57 cents ea....SCREEN-Printed in lots of 180 = $102.60 + $16 per box shipping x 5boxes = $80....= $182.60 (I can make my own ads with MSPub and send to Mug Co)

Reminds me of the old saying of...."Nothing Moves Unless Something Is Sold!"

IF I...as a "SalesMan" am going out to "Sell"....I'd prefer to make as much moolah for my TIME and TALENT...as I can.

For MY Time and Talent....I prefer to pay $182.60 for 180 VITRIFIED Mugs (I can make the ads and do the proofing)....rather than $89 x 8 = $712 for my "Return" on MY Time and Talent!

Don Alm...."Sales Man"
Old February 17, 2011, 08:28 PM

Hey skip,
You are correct. I had misunderstood the plan. I had thought you were going to make up mugs for each potential advertiser which would be expensive if they did not buy the program. You have a great idea there.
......................as for Don,
You seem to think you can get 180 commercial grade / vitrified coffee mugs purchased , and screen printed and fired and shipped for $182. You are either dreaming or on heavy meds. If you are so sure of this, I am asking you to Prove who you are going to buy 180 vitrified mugs from, and then print and fire them for less than a dollar. What did you say ...like 78c each. ..not to mention the screen charges of $40 to $55.....I won't hold my breath.
and if you want to spend 4 hours laying out the 8 ads for the mug job and another day or two getting proofs approved, all to save $100, more power to ya. You don't get the concept that we do all the B.S. for our Contractors
Old February 18, 2011, 08:24 AM
ThePromotionalGuy.com

Default Reference to ASI Suppliers and their Mugs

Hey Mark,

I've noticed that you've referenced ASI Suppliers and the low quality of the mugs they put out.

Each supplier of mugs has low end mug lines and high end mug lines. If someone here is going to create and develop a mug program I would recommend that they ask the supplier for more details.

Regardless if Don's program is in use or your program is in use top quality products must always be used. Agreed the inexpensive "C" handle mugs look appealing but high end dishwashers will destroy them.

The other recommendation I would suggest is don't assume that one washing determines the life of that mug. If you have mugs at different locations go back and size up any losses after 3 months. That data will enable you to rethink product quality.

Peace
Old February 18, 2011, 12:17 PM
Skip Rosell

Hi Don,

Thanks for responding.

Hey Skip.....to make "Sample Coffee Cups"....
...Go to a Dollar Store and buy "C" Handle Cups for cheapo
...Go to Staples and buy a pack of "White, Full Sheet Labels"
...On a Graphics Program (I use MSPUB) make up some "Labels" 8"wide by 3"high....with Sample Logos or Ads
...Cut Labels to the 8 by 3 size and stick on Cups making sure Label is evenly spaced from both sides of handle

I can make up as many Samples as I need....instantly. I tell prospects that this is a "Label"...actual pieces will be "Inked".

For my program I would rather have an "Inked" sample with a Popular Realtor's ad on the mug Since I'm not putting the advertisers ads ON the mug. It looks more professionial.

Also....Nice AD for "Mugs Across America" guy.

I'm not trying to advertise for anyone but if a person does not have your talents and salesmanship they are better off focusing on the sales and let a professional do the rest. If a person does not have a supplier for the mugs, does not have ad design knowledge, does not know about breakage of mugs, etc. then they are better off using a person like the "Mugs Across America" guy for his talents and knowledge. That is called outsourcing.

Now if there was a program out there that teaches all of the above and is a reasonable price it may be better to learn all the ins and outs if the amount of profit is worth it.

I'd rather use Google and my Telephone to find a "Mug Supplier"....where I can buy "Vitrified Coffee Mugs" for 57 cents ea....SCREEN-Printed in lots of 180 = $102.60 + $16 per box shipping x 5boxes = $80....= $182.60 (I can make my own ads with MSPub and send to Mug Co)

Reminds me of the old saying of...."Nothing Moves Unless Something Is Sold!"

Your saying is true and "Nothing happens unless you do something" is also true. If knowledge of designing an ad is stopping someone then they would be better off using someone like Mark to get started.

IF I...as a "SalesMan" am going out to "Sell"....I'd prefer to make as much moolah for my TIME and TALENT...as I can.

For MY Time and Talent....I prefer to pay $182.60 for 180 VITRIFIED Mugs (I can make the ads and do the proofing)....rather than $89 x 8 = $712 for my "Return" on MY Time and Talent!

If they have the talents needed, your report on mugs may be the way to go, because as a salesman you can teach a lot about how to SELL the program. But if you are using MS Publisher then you can not teach them to design in a more professional program like PhotoShop or Illustrator.

Best of success,

Skip Rosell
Old February 18, 2011, 12:31 PM
Skip Rosell

Hey skip,
You are correct. I had misunderstood the plan. I had thought you were going to make up mugs for each potential advertiser which would be expensive if they did not buy the program. You have a great idea there.

Hi Mark,

Thank you the kind words. (You have a great idea there)

That idea came about because (way back then ) I did not have design ability and all I could do is copy and paste a business card.

So I designed the program to what I knew at the time. That is a lesson in itself, do what you can, but just DO IT!

Best of success,

Skip Rosell
Old February 19, 2011, 04:14 PM

Hey Skip, Thank you for the kind words.
I mean it!! You are a smart man!
you are 100% correct about saying, If someone does not want to deal with all the legwork and tedious paperwork, the ad layouts, the proofing, the making of the film positives and the silk screens, the printing and firing, and dealing with the freight companies and negotiating LTL shipping discounts etc.. and simply focus on selling the mug ads at a reasonable price.(under $196 per year) and get paid over 50% of total revenue in commissions, they can come to us and get all that done for them at an extremely low cost. They can focus on selling, which is where they are going to make money!
I just want to set the record straight.
You nor I, nor Don Alm, can buy vitrified mugs for his claim of 57c ea.
not even close. We buy commercial grade vitrified mugs by the semi load and we pay over a dollar each (BLANK) UNPRINTED. You then have to ship your mugs to a decorator that knows how to high fire vitrified products and pay that person a minimum of 55c each, because they have to fire up their kilns and lears to 1600 degrees. It's expensive! Plus each case of mugs weighs 40 lbs or more. Shipping is at least $100 using a truck line or UPS with Doublepacking each carton, so there is no breakage. And you have screen charges. Don does not have a clue. As far as using publisher to do ad layouts, I don't think that there is a decorator alive that accepts that format these days. Vector art is the wave of the future. most decorators require art in adobe illustrator format. If you've never used it, plan on taking a college course!
Old February 19, 2011, 07:10 PM

Hi Woody,
You are correct. There are a few ASI decorators that sell high end vitrified mugs but they are very expensive and there is an extra fee to have them fired at Vitrified temperatures of 1600 degrees. More than what we charge. I noticed you said that the C-Handle mugs get destroyed in the commercial dishwashers.
Am I correct in saying that white c handle mug is the mug you started your "Little White Mug" program with. That is the point I was making with Don Alm and his Full color dye sub mugs. It's the same cheapo ceramic C-handle. If we have a customer today that wants that style we use a similar mug made of a different Clay body-& bright white.
I am curious about something I read in your little white mug manual (where you sell this whole ads on mugs concept) When you said you got the idea from seeing a guy holding a mug with several small ads imprinted on it in a website somewhere. Do you remember what site that was? I would like to know. Thanks in advance if you can remember. I was actually surprised that since you lived in Central FL. when you started your manual, then you must have seen the mugs that Mugs Across America had done all over Orlando area, Kissimmee, St. Cloud, Titusville, Haines city, Deland, Orange City...etc. We brought the concept to Florida ( Titusville actually ) back in 1989. I left Mich in 1989 to live the snowbird life and did my first 4 ad mug jobs in Fla. in Titusville, Orange City, Sanford and Apopka. We still supply those same restaurants today. I first started out using those C-handle mugs and learned that in a few months to never use them again.
You have to have Commercial grade mugs. How long did it take for you to realize the horrible breakage of using that mug back in 2006 when you sold your first couple of orders?