SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > Original SOWPub Forum Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old June 15, 2003, 10:38 PM
Michael Ross (Aust, Qld)

Default Migrant Success Secrets

There seems to be an imbalance to success when migrants are added to the numbers.

From the outside, migrants appear to have a higher proportion of successful people from their numbers than people born within the country.

And this out-of-whack ratio applies to all western countries - migrants succeed in Australia more than Australians, migrants succeed in the US more than people born in the US, migrants succeed in the UK more than people born there.

We can, in an initial and dismissive way, attribute this to some kind of work ethic - they work harder.

And while that may be the case, that would be an observed result of something else.

In other words... they tend to do jobs other people don't want to do. They tend to do menial tasks. "Idiot work." Often, it is thought, they do these jobs because they don't have the formal qualifications to do anything better (but what does "better" mean?).

And while that may be true, there are many natural born citizens who also work those jobs and who do not succeed.

Without formal qualifications many start their own little businesses. But again, if starting a business was all that mattered than plenty of natural born citizens would also go on to the success migrants do. But it doesn't happen.

As a group, more successes come from migrants than from other groups.

Why is it so?

There is one thing all migrants have in common that gives them an advantage over natural born citizens. It is something all natural born citizens can also have, if they want to.

Before I reveal it I want to hear what others think it is...

So why do migrants tend to succeed more so than natural born citizens?

Michael Ross
Old June 15, 2003, 11:44 PM
Jack Lunn

Default Migrants are "Hungry"

My opinion is that someone who is willing to migrate from their homeland to a strange country is:

1. in search of something better
2. takes great risk in order to find that something.
3. is willing to do whatever it takes to succeed unlike the 99% of their countrymen who stay put.

It takes a different type of person to do something like this. That's why I think they succeed much more than natural born citizens in the same line of work.
Old June 16, 2003, 05:57 PM
Michael Ross (Aust, Qld)

Default Good point... but

> My opinion is that someone who is willing to
> migrate from their homeland to a strange
> country is:

> 1. in search of something better
> 2. takes great risk in order to find that
> something.
> 3. is willing to do whatever it takes to
> succeed unlike the 99% of their countrymen
> who stay put.

> It takes a different type of person to do
> something like this. That's why I think they
> succeed much more than natural born citizens
> in the same line of work.

Here's an interesting thought... we do not choose in which country we want to live. We are born in a certain country and most people remain living in that country until they pass away.

A migrant chooses not to be bound by that. They decide (choose) in which country they would rather live and go live there. Truly taking action on what they want to do.

So by that token alone - their willingness to take action in being in control of their life - they are ahead of natural born citizens. And that ability is something they can carry over into the other areas of their life - such as building wealth.

(By the same token... most people stick with the name that was given to them by someone else. A person in full control of their life would choose their own name, would they not?)

And while this is an interesting point and observation - in search of something better, etc. - and while it may apply, it is not the one thing I have in mind. What I have in mind is intrinsic to migrants. They have no choice in it.

Michael Ross
Old June 16, 2003, 04:59 AM
Simon Latouche

Default It's An Open Secret...

It's An Open Secret...

The migrants think 'step-by-step'.
He/She needs $20.
Just $20.
You can buy a lot with $20.
You take ANY job, do anything to earn those $20.
Then you set another 'goal' - to earn $20 MORE.
And so on, and so on...

You DON'T have global ambitions, you are NOT thinking about 'building the Internet empire'... or 'writing a book'...

If an immigrant sells books he tries to sell just ONE book, and then another, he is not 'dreaming' of selling to millions of people...

If an immigrant is to find a client he finds ONE client and then one more....

For an immigrant a 'success' is DEFINED by one-step-at-a-time...

For an immigrant everything is IMPOSSIBLE unless it can't be done NOW (and hence - by small portions).

Actually, as one sage put it, there is NO way to achieve 'success' except for putting one foot forward and then another foot forward. Period.

Stop whining about your site 'not-getting-enough hits, customers, buyers'.

Find only ONE buyer, one listener, one reader...

This is how you get a 'migrant' mentality WITHOUT being a migrant...

No 'ambitions', no 'desires', no 'wants', no 'passions'.

Just $20 at-a-time...

Simon
Old June 16, 2003, 06:07 PM
Michael Ross (Aust, Qld)

Default Close...

> He/She needs $20.
> Just $20.
> You can buy a lot with $20.
> You take ANY job, do anything to earn those
> $20.
> Then you set another 'goal' - to earn $20
> MORE.
> And so on, and so on...

Simon, you are close to the answer I am looking for. Very close. Go one step deeper. One step prior. The reason for wanting the $20 in the first place.

Why do others want to have instant riches?

Why is the migrant happy to make $20?

What is the difference between the two?

The advantage I am looking for is part of being a migrant. They can lose their advantage, sure. But they have it the moment they arrive in the country.

The answer is actually quite simple. Not mystical. Plain. People will even be disappointed when they find out what it is. But it is obviously hard to see (invisible?) otherwise it would have already been mentioned.

Michael Ross
Old June 16, 2003, 10:31 PM
Simon Latouche

Default Do I Have To Spell Everything Out? They Have NOTHING..

They Have NOTHING... And Have To Buld Everyhting

1. no cash
2. no clothes
3. no furniture
4. no home
5. no savings (hence, - no 'security')
6. no car
7. no insurance
6. no medical insurance
7. no language
8. no credit history (status)
9. no employment history (status)
10. no rental history (status)
11. no driver's license (and record)
12. NO EXPERIENCE of working-for-a-living in the new country (perhaps this should count as #1)

Everything of the above has to be BUILT one-day-one-step-$20-at-a-time.

They literally build their lives anew - only this time making choices by THEMSELVES.

And this 'I-Have-Nothing' CHALLENGE can be repeated by anyone....

BTW, the close mindset is observed among people that went through bankruptcy... and/or prison...

Simon
Old June 16, 2003, 10:51 PM
Michael Ross (Aust, Qld)

Default All true. But there is one other thing...

Simon:

Everything you say is true. There is no denying that.

However, there is one other thing you did not mention. It is that one other thing I am looking for.

Yes. It is frustrating. I am hinting at something. Hotter. Colder. Karol mentions it without realizing it.

Okay... here is another clue (of sorts)...

The advantage is not something they have per se, it is something they do not have. By not having this something, they have an advantage.

Just about every other person in the country has it, but migrants do not. The nature of being a migrant means they do not have it. And for many of the reasons you mentioned.

(By the time this is revealed everyone is going to go.... "gawd, is that it" and I'll say "yes" and then run away before you throw things at me.)

Michael Ross
Old June 17, 2003, 12:18 AM
James Jones

Default Re: All true. But there is one other thing...

Migrants don't have a family heritage/birthright to fall back on and help them succeed so they have to do everything themselves if they are to succeed.

ClickSalez -- You don't have to be a Migrant to use it.
Old June 17, 2003, 03:38 AM
Michael Ross (Aust, Qld)

Default Another true point...

> Migrants don't have a family
> heritage/birthright to fall back on and help
> them succeed so they have to do everything
> themselves if they are to succeed.

This is like Philip's remark of burning the boats... without a means of escape they are forced to make a living.

With natural borns, they have a support system to help them succeed... and yet they do not most of the time. Some do, certainly, but most do not. They just scrape by their entire life.

Logic would suggest a support system should assist you. But for natural borns it doesn't seem to help.

Michael Ross
Old June 17, 2003, 02:55 AM
Simon Latouche

Default They NEVER worked in this country, they NEVER lived in this country.

They NEVER worked in this country, they NEVER lived in this country.
That's a fact, this is what you call 'inherent' in being an immigrant.

Now, summing up some 'no's (from my previous post):

7. no language
8. no credit history (status)
9. no employment history (status)
10. no rental history (status)
11. no driver's license (and record)
12. NO EXPERIENCE of working in a new country

we arrive at inevitable conclusion:
their EXPECTATIONS ('ambitions') are realistic and MINIMAL.

Minimum attention, minimum consideration, minimum wages...entry positions...

if I move from Chicago to New-York and rent an apartment I (realistically) expect MINIMUM attention from my new neighbors.

If I am new to this board I realistically expect MINIMUM number of readers (one!)...

Same thing...
-----------------
Your 'withholding' is not frustrating. It's only natural that you want YOUR answer.