SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old June 18, 2009, 10:40 AM
Administrator

Default Thursday, June 18, 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by writeonbro View Post
Hello Gordon, I'm new to the SOWPub forum but I'd like to retweet, hashmark or ditto (whatever the protocol de jour) Fishman's comments on the ads...

Take your time, just please do share them.

I'm in Erie, PA. I'm looking at hundreds of ads over the last 35 years. Pete Zesinger, the owner of Green Tree Press, Inc. and I are going to figure out a "rating" system that very clearly tells you if the ad was the control, what elements were tested, all the different headlines tested...it is going to take awhile to get everything ready...however, it will be worth it.

Also, Pete is about to launch a summer long campaign to find new writers. His new divisions are the Global Digital Divison and the new Green Tree Press ON DEMAND Divison, so he is seeking content and is getting a flood of great ideas to choose from.

I may have something later today regarding this, and SowPub will be the first to know about it.

Gordon Jay Alexander
Old June 18, 2009, 03:54 PM
donsonic

Default WOW!

Gordon,

Sincere thanks & gratitude for the many years of experience in your reply!

What you have laid out is is a comprehensive marketing plan in a nutshell! As you recommended, I'm going to create the free report to get inquires. After your expert reconnaissance, the plan for both markets is to: 1. Start with the Internet, as it's very affordable. 2. When funding starts to roll in, test classifieds and space ads in print media. 3. When sales & receipts are steady and growing, upgrade to the direct mail route. We already have a good sales letter and am working on the written content as we speak. Like you said, all we need now is a proper" MODEL TO FOLLOW!" From your input and what I have learned here at the forum, it looks like we could have a good winner on our hands!

From your replies, here is what I have learned: 1. You are recommending to go slow and steady with lots of testing, planning and oversight to optimize the marketing dollars for targeting best qualified buyers and prospects. 2. There are several ways to reach the markets we are targeting. Start with
whatever you can afford and go from there. 3. Use guerilla marketing techniques and be conscious of timing, competition and budget.

Please reply and let me know if I have comprehended your marketing strategy and operations plan. I'm 55, and know that... you are my elder. I truly respect you for holding out a much needed hand. Again, I thank you for investing in me and SOWING the seeds of tiding and goodwill on earth for many generations to come.

With Utmost Respect,

donsonic
Old June 18, 2009, 10:10 PM
Administrator

Default My real recommendations are...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsonic View Post
Gordon,

1. You are recommending to go slow and steady with lots of testing, planning and oversight to optimize the marketing dollars for targeting best qualified buyers and prospects. 2. There are several ways to reach the markets we are targeting. Start with
whatever you can afford and go from there. 3. Use guerilla marketing techniques and be conscious of timing, competition and budget.

donsonic

donsonic,

I recommend everyone enter the game at their level of experience, knowledge and pocketbook.

Some come in at the million dollar level. Others at 100 grand. They have the means to BUY experience and expertise...and can afford to test Direct Mail or Full Page Space Ads. They expect a higher return on investment...and often want to be "absentee owners"...SO they outsource their business...in effect.

I think, based on my experience for a person with less than 10 grand to get involved in renting lists and testing direct mail pieces, is not a good idea, unless they are under the very watchful eye of an experienced direct marketer.

I'm from the bootstraps school. Spend NOTHING...and if you can't do that then spend as little as possible testing things. I'm OLD school, from a group of people who started by running small classified ads in the back of Popular Science, guys like Joe Karbo, Jerry Buchannan, Bud Weckesser, Jim Straw, Dean DuVall and many others of their day.

They started small and built their business from their profits and when they had a winner (promotion or ad) they milked it for every penny it was worth and this funded many "tests" which often as not failed. Ben Suarez has ample research under his built to state that it takes 7 attempts to find a winner, but one winner will pay for many times that in testing.

That doesn't mean the other six all lose, they may break even, but if you can hit one in 7 out of the park, you're a superstar. And it could be you fail on the first 13 before you get two in a row.

So what I recommend to everyone, is study, learn, test, and act. I've tested a number of things (still got a lot of sh..uh, flack, for some of the tests, but you have to know if your identified market is going to buy what you have to offer.

BUT, I also recommend that people today study ALL the options, not only product development or product acquistion, but become familar with the "secret" side to marketing...like Finder's Fees and TOLL positions, where you get paid for years for controlling a product that someone else markets. I'll be meeting with a man soon, hopefully, who has made several million dollars in the last few years with nothing more than a signature on an agreement. He doesn't manufacture the product, or sell them. He collects a royalty on each piece sold. To the tune of millions of dollars.

It is an area that I am actively pursuing, and one that requires none of the risk of direct marketing or financing.

Deal making is the most lucrative activity in the world.

But in the marketing of a product, a book or even an ebook, enter the game at your risk comfort level. And PLAN out what you want to achieve, then backward chain the events from the finish to the start to see what path and what activities you have to do to get there. Simple? Yes. Easy? NO. It requires hard MENTAL work followed by purposeful activity and a knowing that failure only takes you closer to success, if you can handle it.

Start at the top if you can. That's what I recommend.

Gordon Jay Alexander

PS. I think you have a pretty good plan, write it out, study it, find the markets, know what they buy, then create/acquire your product and launch ASAP.

Last edited by GordonJ : June 18, 2009 at 10:17 PM.
Old June 18, 2009, 10:54 PM
donsonic

Default Speechless...

Gordon,

Thank you for giving me the encouragement to pursue my lifelong dreams. And also saying you feel I have a good plan. Makes me feel as though I'm on the path to IM/DM Enlightenment. Just like "Sitting at the Feet of the Masters."

Keep up the awesome work you are doing! And I'll keep my eyes glued on SOWPub for more great ideas from you, Dien and forum members.

It was an honor to get a realtime marketing tutorial from one of today's living legends in "Old School Marketing."

You are the best,

donsonic

P.S. Peace, Love and Prosperity to everyone on this board and beyond...
Old June 18, 2009, 11:34 PM
Fishman

Default Let's talk DEALMAKING....

Gordon and all those that have knowledge on "Dealmaking" Toll Booths...

...I found a man who doesn't manufacture his product (he has it manufactured by someone else as orders come in), no accounts payable, no accounts receivable, been in business selling this same product for 25yrs(but, been selling similar type products for much longer, he is 75yrs young).

The product is special made to order, no one else does it like he can (others have tried and failed).

He is old, and tired(his words) and wants to sell- his knowledge and the rights to the product and all that goes with it (name, etc.)

His main motivation?

To keep the NAME of his Inventor/Partner of 37 years (now passed away since 1985) ALIVE.

His Invento/Partner invented the "Jaws of Life".

For those who don't know, this tool is used like a can opener to get people out of wrecked cars.

He also invented a number of other automotive related aftermarket parts.

I've made first contact. Here is where I'm needing help. He also wants $250,000 dollars for his "knowledge". However, he has stated that he will stay on as long as necessary to help keep the "inventors" name alive by keeping this product out on the market.

He is flexible. But I think he would need some kind of monetary down paymentl. I didn't get the feeling that it could be taken over any other way.

He stated more than anything that he wants to keep the "name" alive. And, that he was flexible. But, he wasn't going to give up what he knows for a "five dollar bill".

I asked him if an offer was made that made any kind of sense at all, would he be open to it.

He said yes.

So....

...is there a way?

Someone tell me. If so I'd like some ideas.

Is there some kind of "AGREEMENT" "DEAL" that I could structure to make it work.

Also, from my own biz experience, I think I would need to see the financials for the past 2yrs.(Tax returns, Profit and Loss)

Any input would be great.

Thanks Sowpubers for your time.

Fishman
Old June 19, 2009, 10:35 AM
Administrator

Default A few questions for you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishman View Post
Gordon and all those that have knowledge on "Dealmaking" Toll Booths...

...I found a man who doesn't manufacture his product (he has it manufactured by someone else as orders come in), no accounts payable, no accounts receivable, been in business selling this same product for 25yrs(but, been selling similar type products for much longer, he is 75yrs young).

The product is special made to order, no one else does it like he can (others have tried and failed).

He is old, and tired(his words) and wants to sell- his knowledge and the rights to the product and all that goes with it (name, etc.)

His main motivation?

To keep the NAME of his Inventor/Partner of 37 years (now passed away since 1985) ALIVE.

His Invento/Partner invented the "Jaws of Life".

For those who don't know, this tool is used like a can opener to get people out of wrecked cars.

He also invented a number of other automotive related aftermarket parts.

I've made first contact. Here is where I'm needing help. He also wants $250,000 dollars for his "knowledge". However, he has stated that he will stay on as long as necessary to help keep the "inventors" name alive by keeping this product out on the market.

He is flexible. But I think he would need some kind of monetary down paymentl. I didn't get the feeling that it could be taken over any other way.

He stated more than anything that he wants to keep the "name" alive. And, that he was flexible. But, he wasn't going to give up what he knows for a "five dollar bill".

I asked him if an offer was made that made any kind of sense at all, would he be open to it.

He said yes.

So....

...is there a way?

Someone tell me. If so I'd like some ideas.

Is there some kind of "AGREEMENT" "DEAL" that I could structure to make it work.

Also, from my own biz experience, I think I would need to see the financials for the past 2yrs.(Tax returns, Profit and Loss)

Any input would be great.

Thanks Sowpubers for your time.

Fishman

Fishman,

A few questions. What happens if this gentleman were to die today? What woud happen to the product and his customers? Do his customers rely on this for their business, in other words is it essential to another business? What do the people do who want to buy this and it isn't on the market anymore?

I'm trying to help you figure out the demand for the product. That is going to dictate the "value" of it. There are many of these types of things that have peaked and are on the downside of their market, could this be one of those?

IF you were to "take over" this product, how many units could you sell immediately? What is the size of the market? Is the manufacturer willing to support you? What molding, tools and dies are in place and who owns them? Will they have to be retooled?

Primary question is to clearly identify the market. Why do they buy this thing? Why hasn't someone else been able to "figure it out"? How many have been sold over the years? What support is required?

Is it a consumer item, or a "wholesale" item, or a specialty product to a specific niche?

I think you need to ask a lot of questions, like the ones I just asked you. Get the details. There are many ways to "construct" a deal, lots of avenues to pursue, but you have to know what he wants, clearly defined, clearly agreed upon details and what is going to happen once he dies or if he becomes unable to assit in the "turn over" process.

Gordon Jay Alexander
Old June 20, 2009, 01:58 AM
Phil

Default Re: A few questions for you... Then Study the following...

Fishman,

Definitely follow Gordon's advice...

Along with reading and Brainstorming through some of the following Quick research...

There are Numerous and Creative ways to invest and Buy into Baby Boomer and Retiring businesses these days...

Changing Times have caused lack of Takeover interests for Many reasons...

By using a variety of Smart... Creative & innovative methods...

Snatching those Winning Baby Boomer and Retiring businesses...

Could be Easier than most Think in Today's interesting world of endless business opportunities & possibilities...

Not to be taken as Legal advice...

Definitely Hire an Expert accountant and lawyer to Assist you in Finalizing all business dealings & takeovers...

Make sure you Read through the lines and put a real Good Spin on the wheeling, dealing and negotiations...

http://www.fairmarketvaluations.com/...e%20Scales.pdf

THE BOOMERS: Who's taking over the business?
http://www.lfpress.ca/perl-bin/publi...9734&s=societe

Investor Behavior and Baby Boomers... Children Take Over Society...
http://www.capital-flow-analysis.com...lesson_14.html

Selling Your Business - Be Your Own Banker
http://www.smallbusinessboomers.com/...ur-own-banker/

10 Creative ways to finance your small business
http://www.smallbusinessboomers.com/...siness-part-1/
http://www.smallbusinessboomers.com/...siness-part-2/

Phil

Last edited by Phil : June 20, 2009 at 02:00 AM. Reason: additional info
Old June 20, 2009, 08:36 AM
Administrator

Default HOLY MOLY Phil, you've given someone a great idea...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
Fishman,

Definitely follow Gordon's advice...

Along with reading and Brainstorming through some of the following Quick research...

There are Numerous and Creative ways to invest and Buy into Baby Boomer and Retiring businesses these days...

Changing Times have caused lack of Takeover interests for Many reasons...

By using a variety of Smart... Creative & innovative methods...

Snatching those Winning Baby Boomer and Retiring businesses...

Could be Easier than most Think in Today's interesting world of endless business opportunities & possibilities...

Not to be taken as Legal advice...

Definitely Hire an Expert accountant and lawyer to Assist you in Finalizing all business dealings & takeovers...

Make sure you Read through the lines and put a real Good Spin on the wheeling, dealing and negotiations...

http://www.fairmarketvaluations.com/...e%20Scales.pdf

THE BOOMERS: Who's taking over the business?
http://www.lfpress.ca/perl-bin/publi...9734&s=societe

Investor Behavior and Baby Boomers... Children Take Over Society...
http://www.capital-flow-analysis.com...lesson_14.html

Selling Your Business - Be Your Own Banker
http://www.smallbusinessboomers.com/...ur-own-banker/

10 Creative ways to finance your small business
http://www.smallbusinessboomers.com/...siness-part-1/
http://www.smallbusinessboomers.com/...siness-part-2/

Phil

Phil,

The ONE thing I can't do...is to add hours to my day. Cause iffin I could, I'd be all over this one...

You've given someone an excellent start to researching and developing and bringing to market an INFORMATION product that is needed/wanted (by at least Fishman)...and is current and topical.

SOMEONE, please, jump on this. I KNOW a publisher. He would be very open to a book on How to BUY/SELL a business in today's economy.

IF only I could add a couple of hours to my day...it still wouldn't be enough time to get to all the great opportunities that exist out there ( let alone all the great single mommas..he..he!)...

What a great time to be doing business in America.

Gordon
Old June 20, 2009, 11:17 AM
Phil

Default Re: HOLY MOLY Phil, you've given someone a great idea...

Gordon,

Glad you like that one...

Although, you may have recognized that I kind of “twisted” that out of an Excellent report purchased and read from a particular SowPubber member around 2007...

You probably know Best why that Golden little report had such a short life in the Marketplace...

Always Great to see a few here that can Always read through the lines and see the Big picture...

Unlimited Potential... Possibilities and endless Great opportunities do Truly exist out there...

By the way...

If you can't afford adding hours to your day...

Why not have a little chat with that fellow who wrote that particular report and see if you can convince him to Submit a variety of his Excellent writings to...
http://www.egreentreepress.com/writerswanted.html

I'm assuming we'll be seeing a variety of them in the catalogue once things are set Up and running...

Or maybe Not if it just happens to be a conflict of interest...

Just kind of curious on that one...

And another Quick question...

If things are followed exactly as per the information in your link...

Will submissions possibly be accepted that may be Outsourced, written by a ghost writer, pen names etc. etc... ?

Just thought I'd throw that Question and Curiousity out there as a few others passing through might Also be a little Curious but too Shy to ask...

In case some Newer SowPub members are wondering about that Golden little report I'm referring to...

It just happens to be missing from the following links...

The domain is there But... the actual Fly Low and Collect the Dough has been missing for a couple years...

If you happen to be talking with him, maybe you can ask...

Must be in Marketing heaven just waiting to be Reincarnated...
http://www.flylowcollectdough.com/
http://www.flylowcollectdough.com/flylow/

Phil
Old June 20, 2009, 11:38 AM
Administrator

Default Good questions Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
Gordon,

Why not have a little chat with that fellow who wrote that particular report and see if you can convince him to Submit a variety of his Excellent writings to...
http://www.egreentreepress.com/writerswanted.html

I'm assuming we'll be seeing a variety of them in the catalogue once things are set Up and running...

And another Quick question...

If things are followed exactly as per the information in your link...

Will submissions possibly be accepted that may be Outsourced, written by a ghost writer, pen names etc. etc... ?

Just thought I'd throw that Question and Curiousity out there as a few others passing through might Also be a little Curious but too Shy to ask...
Phil

Phil,

Trust me, HE knows and is working his AZZ off (in a lazy SOB, Maynard G. Kreps sort of a way...Work? WERK??!!)...on several projects of his own.

Good questions about the outsourcing. The short answer is YES. I'm in contact with a couple of writers who will write on spec, maybe have expenses covered, if it fits into one of the new lines. ONE line that I'm advocating for heavily is the "Business Success BIOGRAPHY" type of book, one that gives good clues on how to start and build a business.

The "template" I'm using for this is a book called;
"What a Way to ALive and Make a Living...The Lymon P. Wood Story.".

We'll be referring potential writers to this book to see what we would be interested in publishing. I think there are some great BIO's out there, including Bud Weckesser's as well as Jim Straw, Dean DuVall and a host of other successful publishers. Maybe we'll call it "Student of the Masters" collection??

But the best thing for all of us is IF a person has a work in progress or has been selling it as a pdf for awhile, we'd like to take a shot at it for the real world and run some full page ads to see if we could sell it that way too.

FUN stuff for this old worn out geezer who should be walking the beaches of the world by now.

Gordon Jay