SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old October 9, 2007, 10:02 PM
CopyCub

Default Record your way to riches

I have some presentations coming up and I would like to record them in case I ever want to turn them into a product of some sort.

I was thinking of just using a digital voice recorder with a lapel clip microphone. Is this the way to go?

If so, can anyone recommend a recorder and mic to do this?

Also, does it matter if the recorder and mic are stereo if I was to burn the audio files to CD?

Thanks, Ed
Old October 10, 2007, 03:43 AM
MichaelRoss

Default To answer your question...

Ed,

Thanks for asking about recording your voice.

I just happen to have a Hotsheet on recording audio. It's called "How To Make An Audio CD" and it goes hand-in-hand with Gordon's hotsheet "How to Profit From Guerrilla Audio Programs" both of which are available at HotsheetCity - http://www.hotsheetcity.com (Do yourself a favor and pick both of them up.)

Now to your question...

One thing Digital Voice Recorders (DVR) can have a problem with is Sibilance - where there is a Distortion around the letters s, sh, ch, z, j - and it is there regardless of whether you use the built in mic or plug in your own mic.

So before getting a DVR, check it out for Sibilance. Don't rely on online reviews... test the thing in the store. (You can always use an old fashioned micro cassette recorder and still get the audio into your computer.) [I use a Sony MiniDsc for mobile recording and it has no distortion. More pricey than most DVRs but I feel the end result is worth it. Plus, I can use the Discs as 1 gig storage devices]

If you want a lapel mic, just about any will do - make sure it is omnidirectional to be sure to pick up your voice. Omnidirectional mics have a Round Head instead of a flat head.

You'll need software to get the recording into your computer. My hotsheet lists several good softwares that are free besides Audacity audacity.sourceforge.net. And regardless of stereo or not, the software can make it mono. And depending on how you get the audio into the computer, it will be mono anyway.

Hope this helps,

Michael Ross
Old October 10, 2007, 11:07 AM
Joetrevison

Default Re: Record your way to riches

try this I use it on my site: http://www.joetrevison.com/shop/category.asp?catid=5 You can see on my site at Joetrevison.com

It has the price of only a dinner for you and your soul mate.
Old October 12, 2007, 06:58 AM
Pete Egeler

Default Joe..Re: Record your way to riches

1) You've just GOT to get someone to go over your website for you. You'll never get anywhere unless and until you get someone to proof-read and correct it for you.

2) Don't give up your day job! At least not if you're trying to make a living by recording for others. Selling an audio recorder doesn't qualify you as a voice over artist.

By the way, the audio link you refer to on your sales page for audio services doesn't show up as the the "right button on the left side". It shows up as a "click here for my message" at the bottom of your main page.

Pete
Old October 14, 2007, 08:23 PM
Joetrevison

First you have no idea how many English Courses I took over time. None really help and I always got good marks. You explain that. Some of the great ads like Karbo does not have full sentences with subject and verb,did you know that? His ad for "The Lazy Man Way To Riches" is a good example in the first paragraph.

I only said I sale a voice program I did not saying anything else and they can hear it at http://www.Joetrevison.com

I even use word software and that does not always help.
Old October 15, 2007, 09:08 AM
Pete Egeler

Default First of all..

You're NOT "Karbo" or any of the others you love to quote. This doesn't have anything to do with them, but just poor writing on your web page.

Here's what I mean:

"He even has the Guru's questioning what they know. He challenged
one Guru that the Big Companies sometimes are dumb as heck." WHAT??? So what?

"On my site you will see my buttons and if you press on the right
button on the left you will hear me
pitching my newsletters: The
Secrets of Marketing and Business Wizardry." NO Buttons anywhere, Joe!

"I only said I sale a voice program" You do NOT "sale a voice program", you SELL a voice program.

This isn't about Karbo's ads with no subject & verb, Joe. It's about a poorly written website that needs to be cleaned up.

This has been discussed for ions.. Folks are TURNED OFF by poor writing on websites. Especially if the person is selling his "ability" to show you how to do things correctly.

While you're constantly seeking answers on how to improve your business, you are just as quick to blow off simple suggestions that would help you.

All the books you've read don't mean squat. All of the English courses you've taken don't mean squat. If you can't, or won't let someone help you with your site presentation, the amount of income you can expect.. won't be squat.

Joe, people really could care less about what you've read, where you've gone, what you've done. What they want to know is "What can YOU do for ME". Once you learn to give them that information, you'll see a real swing in your business.

It's NOT about Joe. It's about your customer.

You'll have to sell a lot of Avon to make up for the money you're losing.

Pete
Old October 15, 2007, 04:56 PM
Larry Foster

Default Re: First of all..

Quote:
This has been discussed for ions..
Pete, I think it's eons.
Just pulling your leg.
I know what you mean, though.
But, if Joe is happy with his stuff, then he doesn't seem to want to hear it.
I know you're trying to help. But, it may be falling on deaf ears.
Larry
Old October 15, 2007, 06:14 PM
Pete Egeler

Default Larry.. You're RIGHT!

DUH.

An Ion is an Electrical Charge.

An Eon is a lifetime.

See what happens when you DON'T proof-read your stuff??

Pete
Old October 16, 2007, 08:58 AM
Joetrevison

I ask my son who graduated as an English major to look at it and help me correct it. I see some of the errors, not full sentences etc. It may take some time he is very busy.
Old October 16, 2007, 09:30 AM
Brian Bilgere

Default Re: First of all..

As Dan Kennedy has said in the past, for every person that actually says something about it, there are a hundred that think it but don't say anything.