SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old December 1, 2006, 11:04 PM
Pappy

Default Gun shows.......

need unique products...... When I go to a gun show I don't go to buy sunglasses. I go to look at civil war items... Guns, knives, etc...

People who come to gun shows have money. Remember who the consumer is....... people who want guns, knives, products related to these items..

Unique guns (modern and antique)
Unique knives (modern and antique)
Civil war items (swords, buttons, bullets, patches, uniforms, etc...)

Yep the top three......

Everything else.....

Hunting guns
Modern guns
Automatic guns (ak-47....)

Cases to display their guns
cases to display their knives
Ammo products (reloading info, etc...)
Gun publications... (new and old)
Booklets (how to turn my semi auto into an automatic)
Software

Sunglasses........ ????????

I've been to a lot of gun shows and I can honestly say I've never seen a sunglass vendor.

Maybe its just a "south" thing. I can see it now...... Someone going into to a 7-11 with a pair of blue blockers saying "give me all your money or I'll glare you".

see ya...
Pappy
Old December 2, 2006, 09:18 AM
Frank

Default Re: Sunglasses Vending

In my original post I was simply referencing the post that was about selling gadgets at gun shows. I have never been to a gun show in my life, so I don't have a clue whether sunglasses are sold there. I have been to many flea markets though. I suppose nobody ever went to a flea market to purchase sunglasses either; it's an impulse item.
Old December 2, 2006, 11:45 PM
gadgetbob

Smile Re: Sunglasses Vending

I couldn't resist...I sell tools and gadgets at Gun Shows in the Phoenix area
and have for the past three years.

I have seen sunglasses displays many times, they usually take two tables.

People love to buy my gadgets at these shows, last show, Sat and Sun I sold over $700.00. Many of the same people come to these shows and I hear what have you got thats new..a lot

I used to sell at the Swap Meet ( Flea Market) but the gun shows are so much easier...all indoors...cool in the summer, warm in the winter, clean restrooms. nice snack bars and the tables and chairs are already there, just throw on a table cover and you are in business.

I am limited, can only do the shows in the Phoenix area....BUT it is wide open for the rest of the country

If I can be of any help...just let me know....Bob Downs
Old December 3, 2006, 12:44 AM
Pappy

Default Re: Sunglasses Vending

Bob: I'm sure someone is selling sunglasses somewhere at a gun show. No doubt. There's a blue blocker seller on every corner of my town. And I'm sure they have migrated to Gun shows. The thing is I have never seen a SG vendor at a gun show. I have seen Shooting Eyewear vendors who sell sunglasses. But never a regular ole sunglass vendor.

But think about this...... you are trying to maximize your profit at gun shows. Who is the consumer? A person who wants to buy gun related items. I've seen dealers selling shooting glasses. $50 bucks a pop and up. They are maybe paying $15 bucks a pop for $50 glasses. But you still have to pay for the eyewear..... If you decide to sell sunglasses you still have to PAY for the inventory.....

Even in your business you still have to buy gadgets to sell. If you have a credit account they still have to be paid for at some point. They don't produce themselves.....

Software - Once you've bought the resell rights the only cost you have is putting it onto a cd. Make up some marketing promos and have at it. You don't have to send a check to the widget co. for some more widgets........

Write it yourself or buy it from someone else...... The profit is tremendous.....

At a gun show put a sunglass vendor next to a gun collection software vendor and see who's smiling on Sunday afternoon.

later..
Pappy
Old December 3, 2006, 11:30 AM
gadgetbob

Smile Re: Sunglasses Vending

Thanks Pappy

You have given me something new to think about...software, I had never even thought about it...The idea of selling for dollars, that costs pennys
I like that...Bob
Old December 3, 2006, 02:21 PM
MichaelRoss

Default Gun Collection Software?

Pappy,

Thanks for revealing the "Pennys to Dollars" Bill Gates Money Making Method.

Before my Govt coerced me with threat of fine and jail time, even though I am a law-abiding citizen and did nothing wrong... Oops, I mean asked me kindly to hand in Some of my guns and register the rest of them on a National gun database... I didn't have enough guns to warrant keeping track of them with software. So I don't understand....

What does Gun Collection Software actually do?

Michael Ross
Old December 3, 2006, 11:02 PM
Pappy

Default Gun collecting software......

Well....... I'll give you an example. My neighbor growing up had a MASSIVE collection of guns, knives, weapons, etc. He was an FBI agent. He had them all in lighted wall display cases throughout his house. I believe the collection at the time of his death was valued over $1 million (circa 1960).

I didn't know him because I was born in 1961. But I got to know his wife throughout the years. I delivered the newspaper to their house and she would invite me in to look at his "little" collection.

He had umbrellas that were guns, knives that were guns, guns that were knives, brass knuckles, illegal weapons (automatic), tons of rifles, pistols, ammo etc....

BUT the unique thing about this man is that he killed the most wanted criminal in American history at the time: John Dillinger. He also tracked and captured the big boys of the time too, Baby Face nelson and Pretty Boy Floyd.

So you can imagine all of the stuff he had taken from these guys displayed at his house. His house was like a criminal weapons museum. If he was alive today he could have used some software.

But I digress.... There are many people who have collections like that one. And ones that are smaller. I have a friend who's collection is valued around 500k. Software is useful for insurance purposes, keeping track of your collection (where is the gun), seeing what your collections worth, or just the pleasure of looking at your collection thru the eyes of the software. That's why people buy "gun collection software".

BTW my neighbors name was Melvin Purvis. When he shot and killed himself they say it was suicide. But later I think they determined that it was actually a lodged bullet that went off. Now you know the rest of the story......

later...
Pappy
Old December 4, 2006, 03:42 AM
MichaelRoss

Default Re: Gun collecting software......

Pappy,

Thanks for explaining some more.

I guess that's the difference between Australia and the US...

We NOW need a Permit To Buy for each firearm we want to buy, which is issued by the police. And I guess if They deem you have enough weapons you won't be issued any more permits. Heck, we even need a permit for an Antique firearm which has been Disabled - just because it's a firearm nessitates the need for a permit (air rifles are included, as are BB guns!). And Plastic Replicas are Banned from sale. Grrrr.

I can certainly Understand, with a firearm's accessibility, that people Would have a Collection - guns and knives and other weapons. (BTW, Stun Guns are also illegal in this country - although - they are NOW being issued to police.)

Michael Ross