SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old July 15, 2008, 04:36 PM
Scott S.

Default Re: Tape vs Digital Camcorders

Don,
I am pretty new to creating videos but I just purchased a high-end vhs camcorder off ebay for $60.00 + shipping. I will purchase a converter next week for around $80.00. I will then have the video on my pc in digital form. From there I can do what I want with the video (but it will take a few extra steps).
I think that getting a higher quality vhs camcorder was better than purchasing a lower quality digital. But I will also keep an eye open on craigslist for a digital to throw in the car just in case the need comes up. I don't know if this is the best route but it is an option if, like me, someone has a limited budget.

Scott S.
Old July 16, 2008, 12:48 AM
Adman

Thanks Scott....some months ago I bough an el cheapo BUT....for doing DVD's it's el-stinko. Plus, the one I bought did NOT have a way to be anchored to a tripod...so I wound up taping it to the tripod.

My old Panasonic does not provide the quality so, I'm looking for a replacement.

Don Alm
Old July 16, 2008, 01:44 PM
Ravedesigns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Also, if you're just shooting short clips at your desk and that sort of quality, you might want to consider something like the RCA Small Wonder EZ205 that I just picked up last week at Circuit City for $89 that records up to 2 hours, or 30 minutes for the higher DVD quality setting. You can also find last years EZ105 (60 minutes) around for $50-$60, or even the EZ101 (30 minutes) for around $30.

The RCA camera Rod suggested is great for video. I got it's cousin, a Flip cam for about $90 last year at Costco and have been happy with it - and one of the best features is you don't have to worry about losing or damaging it as much as you would worry with a $600 cam.

If you need more features or better quality, a $300 - $600 cam from Sony, Canon or just about any major company should work.

Depending on the editing you plan to do, Sony's entry level Vegas software is great for under $100.

Steve
Old July 16, 2008, 02:44 PM
Rod Carr

Thanks Steve. You're right, I'm not talking el cheapo, but good quality for webcam type video to post on Youtube. I've been amazed at what you can get for under $100, even under $50. And it's really easy to get carried away and blow a lot of money on video equipment that you don't need for the audience you are intending to reach. Plus, a STRONG OFFER will always overcome any perceived lack of quality in terms of how you choose to deliver a STRONG OFFER.

Cheers,

Rod
Old July 16, 2008, 03:38 PM
Adman

Default Hey...Steve & Rod

On those video cams;

You are RIGHT! It's really NOT the "quality" of the presentation....it's the CONTENT!

Example: My first venture into "Selling stuff via Video" was the following;

1) Old Time Panasonic Video TAPE camera with an external Mic connection
2) Lighting - a ClampOn Flood Light I got at the local hardware store

I found a Video Dupe company in Caleefornya that would dupe my vids for $2 in quanties of 100 and I proceeded to "sell" over 7,500 of these...for which I received $20 each (my Preview Videos)....and these Vids helped me sell 500 of my Biz Ops at $1,500 a whack.

It's called....If ya got a GOOD topic...ya can sell it on "Toilet Paper"!

In fact, I called my Vids...not "Guerilla Videos"....I called mine "Jungle Videos".

They were so bad they were laughable.....BUT....they SOLD!

WHY! Because they were "Hokey"! In fact, many people who bought my program/s told me that my Vids were so bad...they bought my stuff BECAUSE they were "Hokey" and NOT professional.

Don Alm

1) do they have a way to attach to a tripod
2) have an External Mic connection

Thanks,
Don Alm
Old July 16, 2008, 04:41 PM
wolfdogg

I use Pinnacle Studio 11. Vegas is quite nice too.

I enjoy doing chroma-key (green screen) videos. You'll have to get into that next. It's quite addictive!!
Old July 17, 2008, 04:59 AM
MichaelRoss

Default Question about Youtube Vs DVD

Rod,

Thanks for sharing the info you have.

Quick question...

With these small Cams - the RCA one you mentioned and the Flip also mentioned. Even though you say they are good for Youtube, can a DVD be made of reasonable quality, which is played through a normal DVD player and viewed on a TV?

Michael Ross
Old July 17, 2008, 05:37 AM
Pete Egeler

Default Re: Question about Youtube Vs DVD

Michael,

I'm not Rod, but I say "yes".

My daughter-in-law has a digital cam she bought at Wal-Mart. Think she said it ran around $350 +/-.

My Grand-daughter uses it and makes DVD's constantly, and they look just fine, even on my wife's new HD Flat Screen.

Pete
Old July 17, 2008, 01:01 PM
Adman

Pete....what about "editing"?

I was told that either you can't edit (insert or remove scenes or insert Title Breaks)....or it's very dificult.

Whereas with "tape" units it's very easy to edit using "Movie Studio" in XP or Sony Vegas. But...you then must "convert" the tape to digital which is an extra step. And, digital goes right onto your hard drive or onto YouTube.

Don Alm
Old July 17, 2008, 01:48 PM
Rod Carr

Michael & Don,

I have not created any DVD's with the RCA. But, you can record in a DVD Quality or Regular setting. And, it does comes with a plugin to watch them on your TV (the quality is surprising good). So, I don't see any reason why you cannot create a DVD with that same file, do you? But when I can get around to it - it's a short summer here - I've got a bunch of clips that I want to put to DVD, and will report back.

I haven't used the Flip video. But I first heard about it, and watched a very positive testimonial about it from Mike Stewart (Aka the Internet Audio & Video Guy). And you might want to check with his site.

I would also recommend to anybody who's interested to sit down and spend a good 3-4 hours with Windows Movie Maker. Because it is also pretty amazing what you can do with these little clips in terms of editing and effect. Like pausing your video clip frame by frame and saving an individual frame to make a separate photo (jpeg). Which you can also edit with another free program (GIMP) to add most any expensive Photoshop type effect.

Cheers,

Rod