SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old November 12, 2006, 03:31 PM
bobmcalister

Default gun shows

goodness....

the crowd at the gun show is tremendous ...large ...must really be a dedicated group ?

whatcha think I could market to those guys and gals? except guns ...

we have really been having alot of convention/meetings at the trade show here lately ...and need some ideas on selling sumthing to these guys and gals..

thanks

bob

btw...anyone know anyone within a large corporation marketing department ?
Old November 12, 2006, 08:09 PM
Sandi Bowman

Default Re: gun shows

Hi, Bob,

Try ebooks on CD about gun cleaning how-to, shell re-loading tips, gun safety, gun modifications the average user could do such as trigger guards, sites, scopes, etc...

Most of the accessories such as polishing cloths, swabs, bluing, cleaning kits, and so on would be possible sale items. How about targets for practice? Don't forget holsters, carriers, slings, etc...or even compact tool kits for in-field adjustments or emergencies.

You could also look into gun racks, safes, cabinets and so on if you want to go larger. Find a local woodworker and arrange to have a customized version made and upsell folks so they get exactly what they want instead of settling for best available at the time.

HTH
Sandi Bowman
Old November 13, 2006, 05:39 PM
Pete Egeler

Default Re: gun shows

Hey Bob,

You might try to supply them with a local version of my "Tennessee Fish & Game" Hotsheet!

You can email me if you're interested.

Pete
Old November 13, 2006, 11:49 PM
SteveSki

Default Re: gun shows- How about Money Making Gadgets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmcalister View Post
goodness....

the crowd at the gun show is tremendous ...large ...must really be a dedicated group ?

whatcha think I could market to those guys and gals? except guns ...

we have really been having alot of convention/meetings at the trade show here lately ...and need some ideas on selling sumthing to these guys and gals..

thanks

bob

btw...anyone know anyone within a large corporation marketing department ?

Hi Bob, I know just the thing you are looking for.

I did this at Flea Markets back in 92 - 93 and averaged
several hundred dollars in profits per weekend market.

But gun shows are far better for this than outdoor flea markets.
The guy who I bought all my inventory from is still in business.

His name is Robert Downs and his website is:
http://MoneyMakingGadgets.com

Cheers,

Steve Shulenski
www.PetPhotoBusiness.com
www.PetPhotographyBusiness.com
www.MoneyMakingPhotography.com
Old November 14, 2006, 12:33 PM
bobmcalister

thanks yall ...
Old November 15, 2006, 12:19 AM
Unregistered

Steve, would you mention a few of your best sellers? Also, how did you determine the retail prices?

Frank
Old November 15, 2006, 09:39 AM
SteveSki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Steve, would you mention a few of your best sellers? Also, how did you determine the retail prices?

Frank

Hi Frank, Reading Glasses, Chinese Scissors, and 18” long tweezers were among my best sellers.

I had an artist friend make up two large posters with a sketch of a Chinaman wearing a pointed straw hat on each sign and the words…. “Chinese Scissors $3”. I hung one sign on each end of my table and on each corner I had a battery operated flashing red safety light that would grab attention from a distance and most people didn’t know what Chinese Scissors looked like so curiosity would get them to ask me about them. Did you know that there are over 80 different kinds of scissors?

My top sellers were Sewing Scissors, EMT Scissors, Hair Cutting Scissors, Nose Hair Scissors and both small and large size Chinese Scissors. Other top sellers were… Side toe nail clippers and a combination Tweezers & Magnifier gadget combo and dozens of other gadgets that sold well.

If you visited the MoneyMakingGadgets.com site you saw that Bob had all his stock displayed in trays on his table. I did it a bit differently. I covered my tables with really nice black velvet fabric and I had it covered with bright yellow 4x6” heavy card stock paper. One card for each item I sold with the name, price and a short description of the item printed on it. Next to each card I would place 1 to 10 samples items. This set up was very eye appealing. All the shiny gold and chrome plated scissors would make the table sparkle. I also had a very realistic looking talking mechanical parrot that people just loved. I kept most of my inventory in a box under my display table and would simply replace the items on the display table as they sold.

Another really great Fair / Market seller for me was “Temporary Tattoos”. Tattoos that cost me 50/cents each would sell like crazy for $5 each. My Giant Oversize Tattoos cost me a dollar each and would sell for $15 to $25 each depending on the particular design as some were more popular than others. Tribal designs and bellybutton tattoo's were my best sellers.

What I liked about both ventures was the portability. Just two folding tables, a chair and a couple of boxes to keep my inventory in. Talk about a business in a box. Both are capable of raking in hundreds of dollars daily working the right locations. I suggest you contact Bob Downs about prices and locations. I just followed his recommended retail prices. Buy low – sell high! Put yourself and your display in front of people and smile at them and you will make money. But how much you earn is up to you. I only know that this worked for me because I worked at it. As Woody Allen said… 90% of success is just showing up. Most people would never show up working their own little sideline business that requires face to face contact with people. They prefer to hide behind their computer screens and search forever for automatic online no work money machines and they take great pleasure in warning others about all the scams out there but they don’t want to get off their duffs and offer a real product or service offline because they don’t like to sell. Go figure.

Cheers,

Steve Shulenski
www.PetPhotographyBusiness.com

Old November 15, 2006, 12:15 PM
Don Alm

Default Car Shows

Steve....your "temporary Tattoos" clicked one of my "memory Hooks".

Some years ago I had a buddy who was REALLY INTO Car Shows in Caleeefornya. He had a spiffy "modified" something (I forgot what the make was) custom car that he entered in Car Shows almost every weekend.

He took me to one and I noticed something;
The "Fans" were in their mid-20's to mid-30's for the most part....and...many were wearing stickers and pins and T-Shirts and Jackets and other "Car Stuff". And...because it was Caleefornya with SUN-worshippers....while I was sitting next to my buddy's car and watching this parade of "youngsters" going by....it occured to me that we SHOULD have "something" to SELL to this crowd.

I got a "flash" from my youth growing up in Chgo. We'd go to the beach and one of the "Fads" of those days was writing, with a magic marker, your name and date on the back of your girlfriend while you were Sun-Tanning....so that after a few hours, when the Ink was washed off....the "Temporary Tattoo" was there in WHITE skin with red skin around it.

So...remembering these "cheap Temporary Tattoos"....I did some research and found a co in the LA area that had a line of "Temporary Tattoos". He ALSO had some toos that were applicable to "Car Fans".....and as I recall they were also selling for 50cents each.

I bought 100 that I thought would appeal to the "young Caleefornya Car Fans" and brought them to the next Car Show and put them on a card table with a sign that said (I needed a COOL NAME that would GRAB Young Car Fans).....
"FUN-TOOS".....$5!

"FUN-TOOS" were a BIG HIT and sold out fast....and my bud was selling them at every Car Show he went to.

I don't know if anyone is still offering these BUT....there's a new crop of "Young Car Fans" in Caleeefornya who, I'm sure, would pay 5bux for a "FUN-TOO". AND....because many of the temporary toos were cartoon characters....you could call YOUR "toos"....."CAR-TOOS".

So....something to consider for any Caleeefornyans to make money on weekends.

Don Alm
http://www.donalm.com
Some of my Home-Based businesses