SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old October 20, 2009, 11:59 AM
Bill Marrone

Default New Member Here......

Greetings,
I read there are a lot of knowledgeable people on SOWPub. I have an idea to help out a good friend of mine and wanted some feedback. She has several health problems and her Doctor says there are various treatments that she needs that her Health Insurance doesn't cover. I was thinking I would try to put together some type of Discount Card with some nice offers on them and then resell them to raise the money for her needs. If anyone has any suggestions or tips, I would greatly appreciate it !
Old October 21, 2009, 07:20 AM
Phil

Default Re: New Member Here......

Hi Bill,

Welcome to Sowpubs...

Great to hear that you're looking to help out a friend...

Quick suggestion That'll put all kinds of Monetization formulas and business ideas in your pockets...

As long as You follow through on Things once you find your match...

Tons of Great ideas and Endless opportunities...

Simply by using Focused keywords & phrases on your related interests using the forum Search feature...
http://www.sowpub.com/forum/search.php

And by Digging out the Golden nuggets throughout the Sowpub archives...

Way more Gold from the Good ol' days/past years than the current world...

Enjoy...
http://www.sowpub.com/forum/archive/index.php?f-3.html
http://entrepreneurshotsheet.blogspot.com/

Phil
Old October 21, 2009, 10:09 PM
Bill Marrone

Thanks Phil,
I scanned some older searches and I like Adman's idea back in April about selling them as "Employee Gift Cards" to businesses. I wonder if Adman would offer me any tips? Is he on here often?
Old October 22, 2009, 04:52 AM
Phil

Default Have a feeling Adman will be popping around one of these days...

Bill,

No problem, glad it helped...

Don recently posted in the following thread, so I'm sure he'll be popping around one of these days...
"$2,500 A WEEK....with Twitter!"...
http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?p=25378

There's still a few of us here Passing through in one forum or another that just can't keep the Cat in the bag when it comes to business ideas...

So I Predict a few more Adman related ideas between Now... The Holidays and just in Time for the Big one in preparation for 2010...

Quick suggestion...

Bring Don's thread you mentioned "Back to Life" by posting your comments on Adman's idea about selling "Employee Gift Cards" to businesses...

Might Help trigger and get Don and a few others sharing a few more tips and ideas on the business model with you...

Another one to read up on in the Archives on related ideas is Skip Rosell for more Great info...

Phil

Last edited by Phil : October 22, 2009 at 04:55 AM. Reason: additional info...
Old October 22, 2009, 02:22 PM
Adman

Default Hi Bill...here's some tips

A few yrs ago, I had some folks at my weekly "Koffee Klatch" ask me if I had any ideas for raising some "Christmas Cash".

Who ME?...I teased.

So...from my expereince with raising money for Band Uniforms (for our local Middle School) to raising funds for a "Jaws Of Life" (for the volunteer Fire Dept) to raising money for a local group starting a radio station...using "Fund Raising Cards".

I'd get 20 local businesses to agree to honor the cards and...because the programs was FREE to them...they offered GREAT DISCOUNT Offers like, "Buy 1, Get 1 Free" or, "$15 Off Dry Cleaning"...etc, etc.

I got the cards printed and we then proceeded to sell the Cards for $10 ea.

I got $4 per Card for my efforts and the "charity" got $6 and we usually sold 1,000 Cards so...everyone was happy.

So...with this background, I put together 2 similar programs NOT involving "Fund Raising";

1) Have participating businesses PAY a fee to participate and give the Cards (at NO Charge) to local Employers, like "the Hospital", Lumber Cos, Manufacturing Firms....for them to give to their employees.
I can comfortably fit 27 Offers on each Card. Because the businesses pay to participate, the Offers aren't as good. I usually get 10% to 15% off...buy 1 get 2nd at half price, $5 Off Oil Change, $5 Off Order of $25 or more, Bowl 2 games, get 3rd Free...etc

2) Offer program to participating businesses at NO Charge. This prompts them to offer better discounts. Then, sell the Cards to Employers for $10 or down to $5 per Card if they buy a bunch. (One gal last year, went right down the street, business to business and sold 1 to 10 at each stop)

Either way, we usually NET $5,000 to $7500 per Card....which come in VERY HANDY for the person doing it.

Don Alm
Old October 22, 2009, 02:33 PM
Adman

Default Or...this one...

I discovered, last Christmastime, that MOST Family Dentists & Doctors & Chiropractors and Professional offices (Accountants, Attorneys)....SEND GREETING CARDS.

They usually have the "lowest person on their staff"...gather the cards, stuff, seal, address, stamp and mail.

However...what if YOU were to offer to provide this service for these people?

1) Get a source of Cards that cost in the area of 50c each. A choice of 5 or 6 is good.
2) Phone offices and ask for "Office Manager"... say that you are providing a "Greeting Card Service" and you'd like to stop by and explain it to them.
3) Show your Samples, quote your fee and get a deposit of 1/2 with balance when you bring cards to their office for THEM to take to PO (This assures clients)

Last year, I helped 3 single moms do this for GOOD "Christmas Cash".

Don Alm
Old October 23, 2009, 11:50 AM
Bill Marrone

Thanks a lot Don(Adman) ! Considering this economy....I like your option 2 from your first post...which was:
"2) Offer program to participating businesses at NO Charge. This prompts them to offer better discounts. Then, sell the Cards to Employers for $10 or down to $5 per Card if they buy a bunch. (One gal last year, went right down the street, business to business and sold 1 to 10 at each stop)"

I tried to send you a PM but I'm not able to yet because I don't have 10 posts since I'm new to the forum. Would you please email me at [email protected]? I really appreciate your input/experience. Have a great day !
Old April 28, 2010, 12:56 PM
Amery

Hi every one,
I am here looking for information on the best Natural health tips for one to be healthy......I hope some one here will guide me in this regard...

Excuse me if i posted in a wrong area...Move me to the correct thread...

Thank you...

Last edited by GordonJ : April 29, 2010 at 11:08 AM.