SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old October 4, 2006, 02:22 AM
-TW

Default Re: If I showed you a way to make a dollar, would you give me back a quarter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpactYourArea.com View Post

I say hogwash to the notion that you can't make real riches on the Internet.

I never said that.

I said, if you run both online + offline marketing methods to their fullest extent, the offline methods almost always will 'win.'

Of course it's possible to make zillions online. It's done all the time.

But when you look behind the curtain of those who make mega-zillions, it's almost always through offline methods (mostly).

Imo, the main reason for this is: The net/web is great at 'snaging' all who are actively looking for something. Problem is, that portion of any given market is (usually) only a tiny % of the overall market. Imo, the first step in truly effective marketing is to GATHER a list of potential customers -- whether the people on that list WANT to be 'gathered,' or not.

To put it another way, 'permission' marketing is the kiss of death.

The web caters to the consumer's IDEA(L): 'Back off marketers! -- If I want something, I'll go out and find it (for myself).' The web has set it up so that one cannot contact someone without advance permission, as well as eliminating most 'intrusive' marketing, like pop-ups, etc.

Great for privacy -- terrible for marketing.

What most people do not realize is (all else being equal), the INITIAL 'spark' that leads to the vast majority of transactions, eminates FROM the marketER *TO* the marketEE. For the most part, the web does not allow that to happen.

On the web marketEEs can search for marketERs all day long. The reverse is generally not true. Thus the crippling limitation(s).

A capitalist society DEPENDS upon intrusive marketing (and I can prove it).

That is why offline methods are better. They can be intrusive -- and therefore more effective.

Cheers!

-- TW

PS: I find it somewhat amusing that you are defending online marketing, but are pushing an offline method (mugs). ;-)

Last edited by Dien Rice : October 4, 2006 at 03:29 AM. Reason: fixed up quoting...
Old October 4, 2006, 08:44 AM
ImpactYourArea.com

Default Re: If I showed you a way to make a dollar, would you give me back a quarter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by -TW View Post
I find it somewhat amusing that you are defending online marketing, but are pushing an offline method (mugs). ;-)

So TW,

It looks like a created a paradox.

I'm glad I made you laugh. It's good to laugh.

Clearly understand, I will defend ALL MARKETING, whether online or off.

After 15 years of having an online business and 2 offline businesses, I have learned that, offline marketing is not better than online marketing, and neither is one more effective than the other. That's not my opinion, it's just been my experience.

But if we're talking cost, online advertising is cheaper than offline.

From the Trouse
Woody Quiñones
ImpactYourArea.com
Old October 4, 2006, 09:02 PM
-TW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpactYourArea.com View Post

But if we're talking cost, online advertising is cheaper than offline.

ImpactYourArea.com

What do you mean by 'cheaper?'

Are you talking (raw) cost... or value(ROI)?

If you're talking cost, then yes.

Vaulue? No, web mrktng is not 'cheaper.'

Here's a question I ask small biz owners sometimes...

"Which is a better form of marketing:

1) A free or almost free method that produces a profit of $30,000

or

2) A method that costs $50,000 and produces a profit of $900,000?

Hint: the answer is NOT "depends if you have the $50,000 in the first place."

John Reese is an online marketing guru. His most famous product is "Traffic Secrets." He is a BRILLIANT marketer. The product launch for "Traffic Secrets" of LEGENDARY. He did all the marketing ONline. He covered ***ALL*** the bases in terms of ONline mrktng! The product is something that almost ANYONE with a website could benefit from (and that's EVERYone!).

When the 'big' launch day came (and remember he did everything RIGHT + BRILLIANTLY) -- he sold..............

1,000 copies.

Yes, it was $1,000,000 (gross) in one day.

It was considered a legendary success!

Now... bring those figures to anyone at, say, Gunthy-Renker, and they will laugh their heads off!

1,000 orders is the same (statistically) as NO ORDERS AT ALL!

It is chump change.

Cheers!

-- TW

PS: your mugs are a great way of marketing precisely BECAUSE they are an INTRUSIVE form of mrtkng. And.... for every ONE customer you get via ONline methods, I can show you 10,000 truly QUALIFIED potential customers who you will NEVER be able to reach via ONline methods. Why? Because your online methods are not REACHING anyone, in essence. The net/web is not set up to allow you to REACH potential customers. And who reaches whom is the most improtant part of marketing.
Old October 5, 2006, 12:49 AM

Talking Re: If I showed you a way to make a dollar, would you give me back a quarter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by -TW View Post
John Reese is an online marketing guru. His most famous product is "Traffic Secrets." He is a BRILLIANT marketer. The product launch for "Traffic Secrets" of LEGENDARY. He did all the marketing ONline. He covered ***ALL*** the bases in terms of ONline mrktng! The product is something that almost ANYONE with a website could benefit from (and that's EVERYone!).

When the 'big' launch day came (and remember he did everything RIGHT + BRILLIANTLY) -- he sold..............

1,000 copies.

Yes, it was $1,000,000 (gross) in one day.

It was considered a legendary success!

Now... bring those figures to anyone at, say, Gunthy-Renker, and they will laugh their heads off!

1,000 orders is the same (statistically) as NO ORDERS AT ALL!

It is chump change.

Cheers!

-- TW

That just made me laugh. 1,000 sales maybe chump change for Guthy Renker when the product price is $50. Not when the product sells for $1000.

I'm not sure about this - but for statistical analysis - all they need is 40 orders. 1000 orders is definately not insignificant.

Lets make a somewhat relative comparison...

When Gary Halbert sold his big ticket stock exchange product (which I think cost about $900) using offline direct mail - it took him 2 months or so to generate the same number of sales!

And his gross profit was way lower than John Reese's.
Old October 5, 2006, 01:19 AM
-TW

Default Other examples...

No, I meant $1,000,000 in sales is chump change.

In the real world (if anyone still remembers that), a $5 mil company is considered tiny-tiny.

What is Gunthy-Renker? A 10-20 mil company? I don't know.

Compare their OFFline ROI with their ONline ROI -- I bet there is NO comparison.

As I've said before, the 12-month millionaire made 77 million in 2 years, and (because?) he had the good sense to avoid online marketing altogether!

How? Mainly by plowing through 40,000 names per month, every month -- direct mail.

He stated his case TO the audience *HE* selected -- whether they WANTED to have his case stated to them... or not.

Intrusive marketing.

Not possible and/or illegal online.

I must mention this caveat though...

Online works great in the JV department.

Other than that aspect (JVing), online marketing can safely be ignored + dismissed, imo.

UNLESS (as you know I've said before) you HAPPEN to be in a biz where if-you-need-it-you-need-it-and-if-you-don't-you-don't. Like a plumber or lawyer or tow truck. THEN the web is great -- because 100% of your potential market *IS* actively searching for you.

Cheers!

-- TW

PS: I just advise that one keep one's PERSPECTIVE level-headed about what the web can and CANNOT do, in terms of marketing. Everyone tends to put it at the TOP of the list, when more often than not, it should really be at the BOTTOM of the list.
Old October 5, 2006, 11:27 AM
-TW

Default The problem is, the risk...

The only reason (imo) most people are afraid of doing offline mrktng is... the risk.

That is, if you KNEW you'd get 2-3 dollars profit for every 1 dollar you invested, how many dollars would you invest? As many as possible, right?

How often would you do it? All day long, every day, right?

In other words, when the risk is removed, money (+ SPENDING it) no longer is an issue.

Yes, offline mrktng COSTS $$$.

But the ROI can still be waaaay better than online methods.

To remove a lot of the risk, do a lot of testing (first).

At this very moment, mind boggling amounts of $$$$$$$$ are being spent on OFFline marketing.

How can this be?

How could SPENDING money actually bring in MORE money than NOT spending money???

Because the ROI turns out to much more appealing than ONline methods will bring (alone). That is, after enough testing has been done to 'perfect' the "MARKETING MACHINE" first.

Thus eliminating a lot of the risk.

Imo, really good markting machines tend to realize that online methods are limited and can only represent smaller 'cogs' in that overall machine.

Even when you look at ONLINE businesses, most of the biggies use OFFline methods to promote their sites. WHY? Becuase they HAVE to! The ROI is just too attractive. They MUST take their marketing to the HIGHEST LEVEL possible...... by using OFFline methods!

Same applies to most businesses -- even (especially?) small businesses!!

Cheers!

-- TW
Old October 5, 2006, 04:07 PM
-TW

Default Pay before = risk. Pay after = no risk.

Talking about that Traffic Sectrets product launch... question is: How much did he spend on marketing to gross that $1 mil?

Was his ONline marketing blitz "free?"

No, actually.

He ended up SPENDING (probably) $500,000 for his marketing!

The difference is -- the risk.

He only had to pay that amount -- in the form of affiliate $$ -- AFTER the sales were ASSURED!

No risk.

It's not FREE mrktng.

It's low/no RISK mrktng.

The difference between the money spent on online mrktng vs. the $$ spent on OFFline mrktng isn't the MONEY -- it's the RISK.

And, as with most things, the HIGHER the risk, the HIGHER the payoff.

OFFline mrktng DOES mean greater risk -- but it also means (usually) greater retrun too. Much greater, in many cases. Thus making OFFline mrktng more effective and more valuable -- and capable of much greater returns than ONline markting (all else being equal).

Cheers!

-- TW
Old December 15, 2009, 07:51 AM
Burgess3

By the way here is an emergency london plumber site provided..Hope it would be an interesting stuff for you...
Old December 15, 2009, 10:44 AM
Adman

Default Excellent example of a "Contractor Directory"

Wow! That "Masterfix" site is "inspirational" (to me, anyway)

Even though the Real Estate market is way down, people are still buying houses.

So....why not set up a "Local Contractor's Directory" where you list the same Categories shown in "MasterFix".

You could list 2 Contractors in each Category.

Charge them $500 a month.

Now...here's how you can command that much;
1) Get a list of "Home Buyers" each month
2) Send them a Large PostCard that has a "Welcome To Your New Home" and your "Contractor's Directory URL"....along with a "$50" discount coupon that can be used towards any service from any participating contractor.
3) Set up a Sample website similar to MasterFix.
4) Call local contractors in each category and tell them your program.

You would also place ads in the local newspaper and even send postcards to existing homes.

20 Contractors paying $500/mo = $10,000 PER MONTH!

Feasible?

Can this be done in our Recession? Hey! Some of these people are going out of biz BUT...many are staying in and the ones who KNOW the importance of MARKETING....will participate.

Heck....for a Roofer....just one $20,000 job would keep him happy.

Worth considering.

Don Alm...."idea-guy"