SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old May 4, 2008, 07:44 PM
Duane Adolph

Default Re: UPDATE Duane...since the thread got pulled out of archives..

Hi Gordon,

Thanks for the update and PROOF of the power of the "Infrastructure Secret"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonJ View Post
Duane,

Let me give you an update. On that map, just a couple of miles South on Rt. 8 you'll see Seasons road. They are building an exit there. So what?

Just this past week, the cities of Cuyahoga Falls, Stow and Hudson all signed a joint venture agreement, and a local hospital is going to build a new hospital at that intersection.

So what about the real estate? YEP, it's still one of the most desirable areas with some nice property, and very little at bargain, recession rates.

IF we had bought a house in this area when this post was originally posted, and we "flipped" it today...it would have turned a much higher than average profit. The state has committed millions of dollars to the INFRASTRUCTURE of this highway, cities have ponied up more millions with tax incentives to create an industrial zone...and once the new section of Rt. 8 gets finished, it opens up the East side of Cleveland to millions of people.

Just a mile or less off of this expressway in the making, are beautiful lots, older homes with acreage and some nice homes being built too. This area is as close to recession proof as it gets.

Infrastructure, it's the secret to look for still.

Gordon
Old May 13, 2008, 04:47 AM
MichaelRoss

Default More Info....

Duane,

Thanks for remaining interested.

Let me throw in something else to think about, and then, show how one guy in Nashville makes his bucks following the same Infrastructure Rule.

Ok. You've probably seen Reports in the Media about Mean House price changes. Well. Here is how such reports are next to meaningless...

Imagine a town where All 2 bed Condos sell for $200k, all 3 bed homes sell for $300k and all 4 bed homes sell for $400k. And, those prices remain FIXED for the next ten years. And each year, only ten properties sell.

Year 1: 8 two-bedders sell and 2 three-bedders. That gives total sales of 8x$200k + 2x$300k = $2,200k in sales. Or a $220k each.

Year 2: five 2 bedders sell and five 3 bedders. For total sales of 5x$200k + 5x$300k = $2,500k. Or $250k each.

Year 3: Four 2 bedders sell, four 3 bedders and two 4 bedders. Total sales are 4x$200k+4x$300k+2x$400k = $2,800k or $280k n each.

I don't think I need to go on for you to get the point... that even though the prices remain the same for each dwelling, the Mean changes depending on How Many of each type of dwelling sell in any given time period.

Also understand by this example... that different Types of Property sell in different amounts over time. Again, going Against whatever doom and gloom the media is reporting. Not to say the media isn't reporting what they are given, just that most people don't know what it Means when something is reported.

Ok. Now to something similar...

I was doing a bit of a search for Patrick McAlister. Trying to find his website. Anyway. I stumbled upon an article about a guy in Nashville called Patrick McAlister who is a bit of a real estate encyclopedia. And what *I* call Infrastructure he calls Arteries. And he throws in a couple of other thoughts as well. Well worth the read at http://www.growthstockwire.com/archi...007_jan_04.asp

Michael Ross
Old May 13, 2008, 07:05 AM

Default Re: More Info....

http://www.growthstockwire.com/archi...007_jan_04.asp

Thats an excellent excellent article.

Thanks for sharing Michael.
Old May 14, 2008, 12:57 AM
Duane Adolph

Default Re: More Info....

Thanks Michael,

I would have to agree with this statement

"most people don't know what it Means when something is reported.

Same goes for "studies" or "experiments". the numbers can be twisted to reach almost any conclusion in some instances. But that is another topic.

I appreciate the article. You mentioned you were doing a bit of a search for Patrick McAlister, not sure if you saw the $89 .pdf on the "Arteries" he is selling at

http://www.buildersanalysis.com/?page_id=2

Thanks Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelRoss View Post
Duane,

Thanks for remaining interested.

Let me throw in something else to think about, and then, show how one guy in Nashville makes his bucks following the same Infrastructure Rule.

Ok. You've probably seen Reports in the Media about Mean House price changes. Well. Here is how such reports are next to meaningless...

Imagine a town where All 2 bed Condos sell for $200k, all 3 bed homes sell for $300k and all 4 bed homes sell for $400k. And, those prices remain FIXED for the next ten years. And each year, only ten properties sell.

Year 1: 8 two-bedders sell and 2 three-bedders. That gives total sales of 8x$200k + 2x$300k = $2,200k in sales. Or a $220k each.

Year 2: five 2 bedders sell and five 3 bedders. For total sales of 5x$200k + 5x$300k = $2,500k. Or $250k each.

Year 3: Four 2 bedders sell, four 3 bedders and two 4 bedders. Total sales are 4x$200k+4x$300k+2x$400k = $2,800k or $280k n each.

I don't think I need to go on for you to get the point... that even though the prices remain the same for each dwelling, the Mean changes depending on How Many of each type of dwelling sell in any given time period.

Also understand by this example... that different Types of Property sell in different amounts over time. Again, going Against whatever doom and gloom the media is reporting. Not to say the media isn't reporting what they are given, just that most people don't know what it Means when something is reported.

Ok. Now to something similar...

I was doing a bit of a search for Patrick McAlister. Trying to find his website. Anyway. I stumbled upon an article about a guy in Nashville called Patrick McAlister who is a bit of a real estate encyclopedia. And what *I* call Infrastructure he calls Arteries. And he throws in a couple of other thoughts as well. Well worth the read at http://www.growthstockwire.com/archi...007_jan_04.asp

Michael Ross
Old May 14, 2008, 01:05 AM
Duane Adolph

Default More Infrastructure Proof? Another real life example from my neighbourhood

Could it be Synchronicity? :->

On the topic of Infrastructure I found this article in my local newspaper. I found it online as well.

New transit lines will drive house prices
Resale values can jump 20% with expansion of transportation routes

http://www.thestar.com/Business/article/422263

You can a .pdf of some of the findings here.
http://www3.thestar.com/static/PDF/0...ion-effect.pdf

Now how is THAT for a money map :->

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane Adolph View Post
Thanks Michael,

I would have to agree with this statement

"most people don't know what it Means when something is reported.

Same goes for "studies" or "experiments". the numbers can be twisted to reach almost any conclusion in some instances. But that is another topic.

I appreciate the article. You mentioned you were doing a bit of a search for Patrick McAlister, not sure if you saw the $89 .pdf on the "Arteries" he is selling at

http://www.buildersanalysis.com/?page_id=2

Thanks Again

Last edited by Duane Adolph : May 14, 2008 at 01:43 PM. Reason: spelling
Old May 14, 2008, 04:25 AM
MichaelRoss

Default Different Pat

Duane,

Thanks for mentioning the $89 PDF. Interesting.

The Pat McAlister I was searching for was the one who had an Association with Bill Myers. I Thought his website was patm.com but that just brings up some Happy Snaps website.

Last I Heard, Pat had given away Marketing Products and was the happy owner of a trailer park.

Michael Ross
Old May 14, 2008, 03:23 PM
MichaelRoss

Default Near By But Not Next To

Duane,

Thanks for linking to those articles.

I don't know that a Study is needed to find this info. out. Just observation over time. Unless you call my Observation, or Gordon's and now Yours a Study.

Anyway. While the Map is interesting, it's only about Train Lines. And down here, Residential property is generally worth Less when it is Next to train lines.

Best position is Near something but Not Next To it. A couple of blocks away from a shopping center but not next to it. A few blocks away from train lines and station but not next to them. A few hundred yards to a mile or so from a Major Highway/Motorway/Freeway/Whatever-You-Call-It but not next to it.

In this way we have the Convenience Without the Headache of it. And by being slightly away from it, If at some point in time the road needs to be expanded, your property is not likely to be in the resumption zone.

Of one of the places which I identified - yes, I do have investments in those areas so am putting my money where my research is - the Artery is in the process of being upgraded. Eventually the entire road but for now a major merging zone where another main road connects.

Anyway. Right next to this Artery is a Service Road. When the Artery is expanded the service road will be gone, as will homes along it.

At the moment one guy has Refused to sell. Reckons the govt didn't offer him enough money. So he has taken it to write signs on his fence and on his roof. Calling it Theft By Law and asking for help due to his poor offer.

Thing is, at the time of his offer it Was good. Also, ALL property sold has one encumbrance... the govt (In Aust). This encumbrance grants the govt the Right to take your property away - check your title and you'll see it there. As it's part of buying, this fellow bought with this encumbrance on the title and is now complaining about it because it is being enacted.

This is generally prevented when you buy Near By but Not Not To main thoroughfares and other infrastructure.

Michael Ross
Old May 17, 2008, 09:16 AM
Ruth Robins

Default Re: Announcement 1: The Secret Life Of Michael Ross

Man, thanks for this post and it is a real pleasure to be a part of this community.Thanks for accepting me a new member in this forum.

Last edited by MichaelRoss : May 17, 2008 at 04:30 PM.