SOWPub Small Business Forums  
 

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

 

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old November 11, 2022, 10:31 AM
GordonJ's Avatar
GordonJ GordonJ is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: West Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 3,346
Default Part time jobs which paid squat, led me to thousands of dollars.

As I rock away...

Part time work. I've had scores of them. Today, I focus on the why of a few of them.

Companies I worked for include the Akron Auto Auction, Adesa Auto Auction, and American Auto Drive...a fun one.

If you've ever been to an auto auction, they pull the cars in every few minutes and the bidding is fast and furious, and over fast, car leaves, next one in.

I was one of the guys driving those cars. Did that at both auction houses, only like once a week, but the reason wasn't for the wonderful minimum wage...but to get a first peek, a look at what was up for auction that week. So my brother and I had a plan.

In addition to the on site driving during auction day, at Akron Auto, I also was part of a fleet team. We loaded a van up with 10 to 12 guys, drove to NY, NJ area and each driver was dropped off at a car to bring back to Akron. These cars were part of a fleet leasing program. For example, maybe a company like
Progressive had leased a fleet for it's New York sales force, and the lease was up.

So whichever auction house they worked with, would recover these and drive them back. It was cheaper than trying to bring them to one locale and put on trucks, that was very expensive.

Again, the pay wasn't the thing, it was because we knew fleets were well maintained, and even with 200k on the car, minimum parts and replacements and they went at auction for well under blue book.

My most exciting job as a driver, I drove a Pontiac Trans Am like the one in Smoky and the Bandit, from LA to NYC in 3 days, no speed records, of course, but there were times I let it all out.

I actually did that several times when I was young, stupid and traveling.

I liked to drive back then.

Anyhow, as I rock back to nostalgia times...my point was/is...part time gigs, even at minimum wage can give you insights and education into industries, nothing like being an INSIDER.

So, we flipped cars for several years, and I adhere to the principle I wrote about in Sprint to Freedom...buy over there, sell over here. Even the big Auto Auctions use the same principle. Just an opinion, everyone should flip at least one or two cars a year, and it is dirt simple too...BIG DEMAND, and unlimited (mostly) supply. Some very rich guys in USA happen to be auto dealers.

Speaking of driving, other jobs I've had: Driving instructor for SEARS E-Z METHOD, specializing in teens and old people (cause they were the hardest and no one else wanted them).

Jewelry courier. In fact, courier in general, worked for 3 different courier companies, amazing what needs to be taken down the road NOW!

I had a friend work in a Wendy's part-time for a year, THEN, he became a manager, regional and then a co-owner, and part of business that had scores of fast food chains under their roof. From minimum wage, to 100k a year.

So, if you have an interest in anything, consider working in that area to see the inner workings.

If I were younger, I'd be in TESLA, learning all I could.

Gordon
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old November 11, 2022, 11:17 AM
GordonJ's Avatar
GordonJ GordonJ is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: West Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 3,346
Default The moolah in front of our eyes...

So, driving around, what do you see?

Maybe blame ADD/ADHD, or bless it, I see everything. ON a 3/4 mile strip right down the road is Front St., downtown Cuyahoga Falls. At the North tip, two car dealerships, downtown thriving with restaurants, boutiques, and on the South side, more restaurants and shops and about to get even more.

I see the billboards at both ends of this stretch, I note who is running the ads. I see the new businesses going out of business and ask why?

Here is what I have seen in the last couple of years, during covid...two areas, Seasons Road in Stow, and Howe Rd. in Tallmadge/Kent...two huge companies have built 100,000 sq. ft. WAREHOUSES, at both locations, in fact, they have now a complex of combined of over 500 thousand sq ft...and most of that has already been leased.

What does that TELL you?

I would bet...NOTHING. See, we look at our world every day, and we don't ask the right questions.

Why are they building Warehouses now? What is the safety net for a Warehouse? It is one of the cheapest of all buildings to build with one of the most diverse use.

Why did Dollar Tree become Dollar and Quarter Tree? Why is that church for sale?

Again, maybe it is because I see everything, especially changes (I'm very good at recognizing when women have a new hair do, or their nails, and it makes me quite the charmer {when I want to be})...

But it is not only just seeing, it is being curious. Wondering why? What is going on?

If we could train ourselves to ask questions about our world, and what is going on it it, there would be no shortage of opportunity, and often it is just getting ahead of the curve.

But we often ignore the facts, what is happening, like I will say that if (when?) the Browns beat Miami 45 21, they are playoff bound. Maybe Super Bowl.

That is a case of seeing the facts, looking at something, and ignoring reality. To make some money, stay with what you see and make sure you are not wearing rose colored glasses.

What do you see in your neck of the woods? Anyone know some who got the Zuck's holiday news? This time of the year, we'll see many more thousands laid off...maybe one or two might want to know how to make some moolah online? Or off?

Gordon
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old November 12, 2022, 01:50 PM
GordonJ's Avatar
GordonJ GordonJ is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: West Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 3,346
Default You have 7 days to make a profit...

Several years ago, when I offered my brand of coaching, it was usually for a year.

Today, if anyone asked for my advice/counsel/motivation...I would simply tell them, you have 7 days to make a profit.

What would you do?

Well, that is a pretty wide cloth to cut from, eh? So, offline, you already know my answer, as it has been for decades now, SELL something you already have.

But, even if you did Kondo your household down to a spoon and knife and fork in an all in one camping tool...then you would have to go outside of your home and do something else.

ONLINE? 7 Days? PROFITS? YIKES!!!


Bet most of you know my answer to that too, right? HOTSHEETS.

I'm testing software like SketchWow; excalidraw, canva, pictodraw...we've talked about them before. I can use Canva.

But consider this: For $118 I could easily get the SketchWow product, and start a Fivver career on making HOTSHEETS, and include Infographic in the description. OR, hire a five dollar Fiverr. for a basic gig.

Totally FREE? (BUT time to learn) would be OpenOffice, and maybe a template or two.

Having a drag and drop, like SketchWow, would allow one to create quickly and have ready to go in no time.

A couple of years ago, I bought Barb Ling's HOTSHEET (She called it a cheatsheet, if I recall correctly), for around 4 dollars, it was reported she made over $1,000.00 in a day or two. NOT bad for a one piece of paper with nothing but links on it, is it?

Free or paid, no matter, most of my HOTSHEETS were created in a Document, and then played around with.

WHY would I want my 'student' to make a profit in 7 days? Because of the fast action from idea to cash.

See, I know for a fact.
A fact of life.

Absolute FACT, that majority overthink, over GOALIZE (wth??), and spend too much time getting all the ducks in the row before they fire off.

So, how to, or steps? What is needed?

Today, maybe spend two hours on WIX, watch a video tutorial and set up a free site.

FREE> how about DROPBOX, has made me thousands of dollars since it first came out, without ever an upgrade.
Free> Google Docs. Dien and I just discussed some BIG ticket promotions, like 20 thousand dollars a year, being sold via a Google Doc.

There are those who think they have to learn all sorts of things, but I couldn't or wouldn't work with them.

START.

Create a HOTSHEET. Post it up, somewhere...put a PAY button on it and there you have a product in force, and with just one or two sales, a PROFIT.

Now, if your HOTSHEET is some arcane subject, like The Ohio Valley Ghosts of Mrs. Saginaw, a modern thriller. Probably need the 3 ghost nerds who have ever heard of her in your marketing sights.

How to get FREE software to make money today, might find a bigger barrel to shoot into.

But what I would do with my 'student', is have them first provide an ASSESSMENT of skills, knowledge, experiences and from there, focus on a HOTSHEET which had the most back end potential.

7 Days to Profits, or leave me alone.

Questions? Comments? Always welcome.

Gordon
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old November 12, 2022, 02:14 PM
GordonJ's Avatar
GordonJ GordonJ is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: West Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 3,346
Default And this triggered this thought...

The 7 days to a profit, is a snowball thrown from the top, and it gathers speed and grows. Throw a snowball you've kept in cooler from the top of a sand dune on a summer's day, see what will happen.

I would rather throw it down a snow covered hill, than start at the bottom and try to climb up the hill.

What may be at the heart of this all, is a lack of appreciation for growing money, and doing so quickly.

Now, most of you know I've had several good and some really great mentors, and one of the "speed kills the competition" guys was Ben Suarez.

Ben struggled for 6 years on the edge of bankruptcy, trying to build his business, and then, all of a sudden, huge amounts of money came in quickly, tens of thousands of dollars a month. As fast as he could run ads.

And once he found speed, he never looked back.

Some of us, think and believe we too need to spend years of struggle with a zig zag, try this, then try that routine which drives many to the poor house.

The one piece of education for Entrepreneurs seemingly missing, is scaling up, reinvesting, growth, expansion...how to use the profits, no matter how small, to get more and more, bigger and bigger ones.

Anyhow, start small, work fast, build big.

https://blog.adioma.com/make-money-infographics/
Nice blog post on the step by step, good plan of action.

Gordon

Big P.S.

Around the time of this:
https://www.bmyers.com/public/166.cfm

And today, doing it without the expense of paper and ink, is still a pretty nifty template.

Anyhow, I was online and offering NEWSLETTER development services, mostly out of sight, behind the lines, and most of my early clients knew me from my work on the NPGS HOTLINE UPDATE newsletter I did for SCI.

There were a lot of questions about layout, paper, mailing costs, back ends. The NPGS was a back end to the book, 7 STEPS TO FREEDOM II.

So, by participating in all the forums, groups back then, and being a member of several early sites, like BMyers, there was a built in prospect base for my writing services, and my rates were'nt the cheap Gordon you know today. Before I found the low cost, several offers, build a list model...I liked to get a low 4 figures for this work, 2500 to 4500 seemed to be the sweet spot. Although not at liberty to reveal, and never have, always left it up to those who paid me, if they talk, fine...but my lips are sealed...and I think that led to a lot more work too.

Today, many blogs serve the same purpose of those old world printed on paper and mailed newsletters, to get fresh content out.

Although, the newsletter itself is very viable, eh Dien? Dien publishes great newsletters and his Hidden Business is supreme.

Feeling more like sharing about the early days of IM.

Last edited by GordonJ : November 12, 2022 at 03:43 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old November 13, 2022, 03:53 PM
Millard Grubb Millard Grubb is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: The Ozarks
Posts: 259
Default Re: You have 7 days to make a profit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonJ View Post
Several years ago, when I offered my brand of coaching, it was usually for a year.

Today, if anyone asked for my advice/counsel/motivation...I would simply tell them, you have 7 days to make a profit.

What would you do?

Well, that is a pretty wide cloth to cut from, eh? So, offline, you already know my answer, as it has been for decades now, SELL something you already have.

But, even if you did Kondo your household down to a spoon and knife and fork in an all in one camping tool...then you would have to go outside of your home and do something else.

ONLINE? 7 Days? PROFITS? YIKES!!!


Bet most of you know my answer to that too, right? HOTSHEETS.

I'm testing software like SketchWow; excalidraw, canva, pictodraw...we've talked about them before. I can use Canva.

But consider this: For $118 I could easily get the SketchWow product, and start a Fivver career on making HOTSHEETS, and include Infographic in the description. OR, hire a five dollar Fiverr. for a basic gig.

Totally FREE? (BUT time to learn) would be OpenOffice, and maybe a template or two.

Having a drag and drop, like SketchWow, would allow one to create quickly and have ready to go in no time.

A couple of years ago, I bought Barb Ling's HOTSHEET (She called it a cheatsheet, if I recall correctly), for around 4 dollars, it was reported she made over $1,000.00 in a day or two. NOT bad for a one piece of paper with nothing but links on it, is it?

Free or paid, no matter, most of my HOTSHEETS were created in a Document, and then played around with.

WHY would I want my 'student' to make a profit in 7 days? Because of the fast action from idea to cash.

See, I know for a fact.
A fact of life.

Absolute FACT, that majority overthink, over GOALIZE (wth??), and spend too much time getting all the ducks in the row before they fire off.

So, how to, or steps? What is needed?

Today, maybe spend two hours on WIX, watch a video tutorial and set up a free site.

FREE> how about DROPBOX, has made me thousands of dollars since it first came out, without ever an upgrade.
Free> Google Docs. Dien and I just discussed some BIG ticket promotions, like 20 thousand dollars a year, being sold via a Google Doc.

There are those who think they have to learn all sorts of things, but I couldn't or wouldn't work with them.

START.

Create a HOTSHEET. Post it up, somewhere...put a PAY button on it and there you have a product in force, and with just one or two sales, a PROFIT.

Now, if your HOTSHEET is some arcane subject, like The Ohio Valley Ghosts of Mrs. Saginaw, a modern thriller. Probably need the 3 ghost nerds who have ever heard of her in your marketing sights.

How to get FREE software to make money today, might find a bigger barrel to shoot into.

But what I would do with my 'student', is have them first provide an ASSESSMENT of skills, knowledge, experiences and from there, focus on a HOTSHEET which had the most back end potential.

7 Days to Profits, or leave me alone.

Questions? Comments? Always welcome.

Gordon


I like the idea of a HOTSHEET simply because it is simple. This got me to thinking.

Glenn Osborn has discussed his newsletter experience at the Jay Abraham conferences in various places. This newsletter concept for businesses is a very good one. Could the newsletter concept be used with a HOTSHEET?

Would this HOTSHEET be valuable enough to charge a premium price for it?

How would you make it valuable enough to charge a premium price?

With such a valuable HOTSHEET, say, delivered monthly, would it make sense to sell it face-to-face?

I know it is a lot of questions, but all this talk of HOTSHEETS just got me into overdrive.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old November 13, 2022, 05:19 PM
GordonJ's Avatar
GordonJ GordonJ is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: West Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 3,346
Default Enter the hot tub...time machine.

Joe Karbo was the guy who showed me what a hotsheet was. He got several of them, but that was long before fax, Internet, just good ol USPS snail mail.

The one that caught my eye, was one about boats for sale in S. CA. It cost 20 dollars, and only 200 of them were mailed, weekly. Joe and his boat buddies got this one day ahead price reduction list from some S. CA yacht/boat association. I remember thinking, 20 x 200 for a single piece of paper, a stamp, an envelope...I could do that.

So I think that decades old example might fit the bill as far as what you are asking. A premium priced HOTSHEET requires a good list, with "inside" or advanced information, but it certainly is doable. I think many stock gurus have these types of things.

I feel the VALUE, doesn't come from making the information valuable, that requires selling/persuasion...NO, the value is in the DESIRE, the market, the list of people who already want it, so no selling is required.

Today, I wouldn't be keen on anything face to face, for myself...and my thinking is, if it can be done remotely, do it this way, because you are not limited to an area, location and trust me, the less slop and mess and people you have involved, the better it will be.

Think market first, and choose targets with money to pay for a premium, then you don't need so much effort in selling, but simply allowing for a limited number, use EXCLUSIVITY for higher prices.

Gordon


Quote:
Originally Posted by Millard Grubb View Post
I like the idea of a HOTSHEET simply because it is simple. This got me to thinking.

Glenn Osborn has discussed his newsletter experience at the Jay Abraham conferences in various places. This newsletter concept for businesses is a very good one. Could the newsletter concept be used with a HOTSHEET?

Would this HOTSHEET be valuable enough to charge a premium price for it?

How would you make it valuable enough to charge a premium price?

With such a valuable HOTSHEET, say, delivered monthly, would it make sense to sell it face-to-face?

I know it is a lot of questions, but all this talk of HOTSHEETS just got me into overdrive.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old November 14, 2022, 05:44 AM
Dien Rice Dien Rice is online now
Onwards and upwards!
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 3,239
Default And so much more can be done with hotsheets...

Hi Gordon,

Wow... there's a lot of great stuff in this thread of yours...

I love hotsheets!

I often use them to "punch up" an offer... Give something extra, something to push someone "over the edge" into wanting to buy...

(And people have told me that they work. They say, "it was your offer of the Blah blah blah special report that pushed me into buying...)

So... they work!

And there's so much more you can do with hotsheets, that I haven't even done yet...

They've become a big part of what I do now...

Thanks for sharing the concept with us!

Best wishes,

Dien

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonJ View Post
The 7 days to a profit, is a snowball thrown from the top, and it gathers speed and grows. Throw a snowball you've kept in cooler from the top of a sand dune on a summer's day, see what will happen.

I would rather throw it down a snow covered hill, than start at the bottom and try to climb up the hill.

What may be at the heart of this all, is a lack of appreciation for growing money, and doing so quickly.

Now, most of you know I've had several good and some really great mentors, and one of the "speed kills the competition" guys was Ben Suarez.

Ben struggled for 6 years on the edge of bankruptcy, trying to build his business, and then, all of a sudden, huge amounts of money came in quickly, tens of thousands of dollars a month. As fast as he could run ads.

And once he found speed, he never looked back.

Some of us, think and believe we too need to spend years of struggle with a zig zag, try this, then try that routine which drives many to the poor house.

The one piece of education for Entrepreneurs seemingly missing, is scaling up, reinvesting, growth, expansion...how to use the profits, no matter how small, to get more and more, bigger and bigger ones.

Anyhow, start small, work fast, build big.

https://blog.adioma.com/make-money-infographics/
Nice blog post on the step by step, good plan of action.

Gordon

Big P.S.

Around the time of this:
https://www.bmyers.com/public/166.cfm

And today, doing it without the expense of paper and ink, is still a pretty nifty template.

Anyhow, I was online and offering NEWSLETTER development services, mostly out of sight, behind the lines, and most of my early clients knew me from my work on the NPGS HOTLINE UPDATE newsletter I did for SCI.

There were a lot of questions about layout, paper, mailing costs, back ends. The NPGS was a back end to the book, 7 STEPS TO FREEDOM II.

So, by participating in all the forums, groups back then, and being a member of several early sites, like BMyers, there was a built in prospect base for my writing services, and my rates were'nt the cheap Gordon you know today. Before I found the low cost, several offers, build a list model...I liked to get a low 4 figures for this work, 2500 to 4500 seemed to be the sweet spot. Although not at liberty to reveal, and never have, always left it up to those who paid me, if they talk, fine...but my lips are sealed...and I think that led to a lot more work too.

Today, many blogs serve the same purpose of those old world printed on paper and mailed newsletters, to get fresh content out.

Although, the newsletter itself is very viable, eh Dien? Dien publishes great newsletters and his Hidden Business is supreme.

Feeling more like sharing about the early days of IM.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old November 14, 2022, 07:32 AM
Millard Grubb Millard Grubb is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: The Ozarks
Posts: 259
Default RE: Hot Tub Time Machine

Gordon,

Even though I like people, you are right about selling remotely instead of face-to-face... less slop and mess. It saves time.

In addition, your thoughts about a market that desires what you have... like Halbert's "Hungry market" is a simple fact that many of us forget. (Sheesh)

Thank you for your reminders of the basics ! (Millard slaps his forehead)
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old November 14, 2022, 03:16 PM
GordonJ's Avatar
GordonJ GordonJ is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: West Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 3,346
Default Secrets. Ready to spill my guts, clean up on Aisle Gordo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millard Grubb View Post
Gordon,

Even though I like people, you are right about selling remotely instead of face-to-face... less slop and mess. It saves time.

In addition, your thoughts about a market that desires what you have... like Halbert's "Hungry market" is a simple fact that many of us forget. (Sheesh)

Thank you for your reminders of the basics ! (Millard slaps his forehead)

I've made a lot of moolah selling writing to HUNGRY crowds. They are hidden in plain sight, seldom mentioned, rarely discussed. Mainly, most don't know about them. Or know how.

Thank goodness I'm here...and WILLING (finally) to share some details.

Yea, Halbert had the first half right on...sell to a hungry crowd. WHERE to find them is the more important detail he left off...

And once you know where they are, HOW TO contact them. And WHAT to say to them.

Gary had the right INTERSECTION in the transaction process, and maybe by example, he showed how he did it.

Before I reveal my closely guarded secrets, first...

There is a STARVING crowd outside TACO BELL at 2 AM, or there is a Hungry Crowd waiting for their seat at SUBLIMOTION in Ibiza, Spain.

Both hungry crowds, eh? A big difference between a box of tacos and a 20 course dinner experience.

So, as a marketer, I want a hungry crowd, but not a starving, penniless one outside of the homeless shelter waiting for the soup kitchen to open.

Which is why I harp so much on TARGETS, markets, avatars, niches and telling everyone for the umpteenth time, most profit is made at the choice of your offer.

What that is, like in chatteling, the What doesn't matter...

It is the ratio of hunger to dollars, can they afford it, and why not start with those that can, and do less selling, motivation, less persuasion and influence and find the HUNGRY crowd with the moolah and sell to them?

It it makes any sense to anyone, I'll continue and show exactly what I mean. No interest?

NO problem, I have other things to do.

Gordon
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old November 14, 2022, 03:22 PM
trevord92 trevord92 is online now
Member
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 42
Default Re: Part time jobs which paid squat, led me to thousands of dollars.

Thanks Gordon - where to find the hungry crowd and which crowd to target sounds fantastic!

"Traffic" is almost always the missing link on the web
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Other recent posts on the forum...


Seeds of Wisdom Publishing (front page) | Seeds of Wisdom Business forum | Seeds of Wisdom Original Business Forum (Archive) | Hidden Unusual Business Ideas Newsletter | Hotsheet Profits | Persuade via Remote Influence | Affia Band | The Entrepreneur's Hotsheet | The SeedZine (Entrepreneurial Ezine)

Get the report on Harvey Brody's Answers to a Question-Oriented-Person


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.