SOWPub Small Business Forums  
 

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

 

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old June 12, 2015, 02:17 AM
trevord92 trevord92 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 30
Default Re: Outsourcing... Any experiences?

Thanks Dien!

On iWriter my instructions are usually a variant of these:

Please don't write in the third person ("one" etc.)

Please make the style several bullet points/tips (5 or 7 works well).

Please make sure your work is split into paragraphs, not just one long article.

Please don't over-do the keyword density - just write naturally.


Writing is relatively straightforward and is probably the easiest thing to outsource.

Graphics you need to check it's not infringing copyright - not always easy but Google's image search has helped. Or one project the designer sourced the images & I bought them from the recommended stock site.

Coding can be anything from a simple fix to a really big project.

Spaghetti code is always a problem - difficult to specifiy as most programmers have their own style.

Bug testing is the part I really hate as you can't assume that whatever got corrected last time has stayed corrected or something else hasn't got broken in the next iteration.

Microsoft don't get all the bugs fixed and they've got stricter procedures and bigger budgets.

There are so many variables to test and check for.

Even Google "broke" the internet a while back when something they hadn't trapped for happened.

Testing takes longer than you ever plan!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old June 12, 2015, 09:32 AM
Rob Yaggie Rob Yaggie is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 20
Default Thanks Dien and Trevor... and nice chapter.. TTS

I appreciate the input both of you gave on places to outsource. I'm a programmer by trade so I can agree on the challenges on outsourcing programming tasks. Two programs can technically accomplish the job but can be night and day apart in terms of quality.

Anyway, Dien I enjoyed the chapter 3 that you presented. And on a side note, I just discovered text to speech voices have come a long way. Last week I purchased Textaloud 3 and the premium voice Ava from nextup.com. Very impressive! Not only did it make reading that chapter easier on my aging eyes but I will likely incorporate it as the voice over in some upcoming videos.

Thanks,
Rob Yaggie

P.S. Demo for voices...
http://www.nuance.com/for-business/t...index.htm#demo

I like American English ... Female Ava, Male Nathan. Note, Nathan is not available yet for use on Textaloud but I hope it will be in the future.

P.P.S. - I also used Textaloud to proofread this post
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old June 13, 2015, 10:37 AM
Dien Rice Dien Rice is offline
Onwards and upwards!
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,687
Default Re: Outsourcing... Any experiences?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevord92 View Post
Thanks Dien!

On iWriter my instructions are usually a variant of these:

Please don't write in the third person ("one" etc.)

Please make the style several bullet points/tips (5 or 7 works well).

Please make sure your work is split into paragraphs, not just one long article.

Please don't over-do the keyword density - just write naturally.


Writing is relatively straightforward and is probably the easiest thing to outsource.

Graphics you need to check it's not infringing copyright - not always easy but Google's image search has helped. Or one project the designer sourced the images & I bought them from the recommended stock site.

Coding can be anything from a simple fix to a really big project.

Spaghetti code is always a problem - difficult to specifiy as most programmers have their own style.

Bug testing is the part I really hate as you can't assume that whatever got corrected last time has stayed corrected or something else hasn't got broken in the next iteration.

Microsoft don't get all the bugs fixed and they've got stricter procedures and bigger budgets.

There are so many variables to test and check for.

Even Google "broke" the internet a while back when something they hadn't trapped for happened.

Testing takes longer than you ever plan!
Thanks Trevor for these tips... Excellent ones!

Also, a great list of "do's" and "don'ts" for writers, too...

On graphics, that's good advice. I haven't actually checked to make sure that the graphics I've had made up weren't "stolen" from a copyrighted source. I'll make sure to find out the source in future (to make sure it's legal)! You don't want to have legal headaches down the track!

I know from my brother's experiences that hiring programmers can sometimes be difficult. I think his experience was more or less that you get what you pay for - and he did find that the more expensive programmers were better "quality" - they wrote better code, which was easier to modify or fix up later...

The thing which I didn't realize for a long time is that, hiring is a skill. I naively thought, if you want something done, you just hire someone, and it gets done! Of course, it's rarely that straightforward... However, the more you do, the better at it you get!

Best wishes,

Dien
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old June 13, 2015, 10:50 AM
Dien Rice Dien Rice is offline
Onwards and upwards!
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,687
Default Re: Thanks Dien and Trevor... and nice chapter.. TTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Yaggie View Post
Anyway, Dien I enjoyed the chapter 3 that you presented. And on a side note, I just discovered text to speech voices have come a long way. Last week I purchased Textaloud 3 and the premium voice Ava from nextup.com. Very impressive! Not only did it make reading that chapter easier on my aging eyes but I will likely incorporate it as the voice over in some upcoming videos.
Hi Rob,

That's interesting!

For a while, I was doing some "academic editing" work on the side... I partly kept doing it because I kept learning things, and I'd get the occasionally interesting paper... I'm a "sucker" for interesting stuff...

Anyway, I found that sometimes using "text-to-speech" helped with the editing process. I could sometimes catch errors by "listening" to them! (It was especially useful if I got tired of reading...)

On Ch. 3 of "Thinking Like an Entrepreneur" - Peter Hupalo makes a good point, I think...

One point is you'll never be great at everything! You might be great at a couple things, good at a couple others, yet suck at other things. For example, maybe you are great at creating websites, but you really suck at selling your services.

The point is, you could then focus on what you're great at, and hire or partner with one or more people to do what you suck at. So, in this case, you could make websites, and partner with someone, or hire someone, to sell your services for you...

The more complex the business gets, the more this is true...!

A friend of mine started a website building and branding company. He's a great graphic designer, so he focuses on that side of things (I think he does most of the "selling" too). Another partner does all the "coding" stuff related to the websites. And a third partner focuses on the financial side of the business. And in their case... their separation of responsibilities works very well, and they're quite successful!

Best wishes,

Dien
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old August 30, 2019, 07:46 AM
abbyrobinson's Avatar
abbyrobinson abbyrobinson is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 1
Default Re: Outsourcing... Any experiences?

The advantage of reducing operating costs! It appears because of the difference in wages between countries or just cutting employee compensation costs and office space expenses (and itís still significant savings). You can save up to 60% of your budget by outsourcing some tasks to another company, so it's definitely the right choice for a business.

Last edited by GordonJ : September 2, 2019 at 11:51 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old September 2, 2019, 11:52 AM
GordonJ's Avatar
GordonJ GordonJ is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: West Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 2,664
Default We prefer you pay for ads here, is that OK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbyrobinson View Post
The advantage of reducing operating costs! It appears because of the difference in wages between countries or just cutting employee compensation costs and office space expenses (and itís still significant savings). You can save up to 60% of your budget by outsourcing some tasks to another company, so it's definitely the right choice for a business.

Dien may accept paid ads, ask him. But until then, we prefer participation, which is why I deleted your signature link.

Gordon
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Other recent posts on the forum...


Seeds of Wisdom Publishing (front page) | Seeds of Wisdom Business forum | Seeds of Wisdom Original Business Forum (Archive) | Hidden Unusual Business Ideas Newsletter | Hotsheet Profits | The Art of Leverage | The Success Report | Persuade via Remote Influence | Affia Band | The Entrepreneur's Hotsheet | The SeedZine (Entrepreneurial Ezine) | The Fly Low Collect Dough Update Hotline

Get the report on Harvey Brody's Answers to a Question-Oriented-Person


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.