SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > Original SOWPub Forum Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old October 11, 2000, 03:39 PM
Diane Everroad

Default Do You Have This Problem?

Hello,

I have a simple question. But, I can't imagine that there is a simple answer.

But ... maybe.

O.K. There goes.

As your internet business grows, how DO you get everything done?

My "to do" list grows daily. And even though I prioritize my list, it still isn't complete by the end of the day.

Also, I can't frequent the discussion boards like I used to, which I miss. But when I do, I wonder, "Where do they find the time?" and, "O.K.; so, what am I doing wrong?" :-)

Other than giving up that little thing called "sleep," what suggestions do you have?

I ABSOLUTELY don't want to reduce the quality of my customer service. I feel the customer deserves to get the best product and service available.

I look forward to reading what has worked for you.

Thank you in advance for your assistance,
Diane

Close to 2 Million Satisfied Customers!
Old October 12, 2000, 01:09 AM
Julie Jordan Scott

Default Re: Do You Have This Problem?

> As your internet business grows, how DO you
> get everything done?

****Hi Diane!

Tha greatest thing I have done is to hire a Virtual Assistant. In my case, she was a coaching client whose life changed dramatically through our work, so she knew me and what I do very well from a first hand basis.

I turn over to her a lot of my clerical duties, the stuff that to me is very time consuming and non creative. She loves it....so it works out great.

Another example of Win/Win.

Looking forward to seeing other responses as well, Diane. Great question!

With Purpose and Passion,

JULIE

Dare to.............
Old October 13, 2000, 01:46 AM
Julie Jordan Scott

Default One More Quick Thought, Diane

Hi Diane!

Today as I was being the Mommy Taxi, I also thought how I am so much more productive when I take intentional time away from the office, to reflect, rejuvenate and reconsider the "WHYS" behind my work.

I just returned from three days in Southern California with my Mother. We were down there to attend a meeting for my brother, John, who has Down's syndrome, but in addition, we spent quite a bit of time simply "being".

We visited her high school sweetheart, went out to dinner at a restaurant that is literally sitting on top of the surf (I thought I was in heaven) took in a movie matinee, and I wrote a lot in my idea journal. Not complete articles, but strings of ideas, stuff like that.

I did teach one teleclass, because I had made that commitment. An hour on the phone from my hotel room was actually fun, and I must have done something right cause two of the participants have since hired me as their coach. Probably partly because I was so refreshed!

Sometimes on my personal retreat days (Usually I take one day a month) I set aside time specifically for planning. I do my planning sprinkled throughout the day and am very mindful about it. Frequently I have a-ha's on these days. I would be glad to send you a quasi agenda as well, so you can see what I do exactly. The important part is to be quiet and listen to your spirit.

My Mom was too funny. We were running errands and I would opt to sit in the car. I would roll down the windows and gaze up at the blue sky, inhaling the clean ocean air.....pondering and contemplating. Halfway through the trip she asked, "What is that book you write in sometimes?"
and I told her about my idea journal.

I explained that although it did not APPEAR that way, our time together had been EXTREMELY productive for me. It would never have happened if I had been chained here, to the keyboard.

Does that help?

With Purpose and Passion,

JULIE
Old October 13, 2000, 06:07 PM
Dan Butler

Default Re: Do You Have This Problem?

Diane --

I will only speak to the computer side of things as that is what I know. I am *not* the one you want on general time management. Haven't worn a watch or carried a calendar for years. Neither do I use PDA's or other electronic devices. So with that background here are some tips from me.

Look for easy ways to save 10 seconds here and there. Most people try to carve out 30 minutes or an hour. 10 seconds doesn't sound like much but if you save 10 seconds on every email you send what would that add up to? What if you saved 5 seconds on every message board posting you read? (If anyone is interested in how to save time reading message boards like this one I'll detail my procedure)

Let's take the email. Could you save 10 seconds on every email you send? Probably. What are some ways?

- Automatic signatures
- Boilerplate text for frequent responses
- Streamlined addressing
- Filter common tasks
- Use autoresponders instead of answering
- Get a spam filter

Those are some ideas off the top of my head. I've been using a program called Macro Express which will type things in for you, run programs, etc. Putting my signatures and frequent responses to emails in those blocks cuts down my typing and proof reading. Easily gaining me 10 seconds an email. By filtering my mail into folders as it's received I'm able to concentrate on one type of mail at a time - newsletter, personal, etc.

I also use and recommened a program called Info Select from Micro Logic (http://www.miclog.com). It runs in Windows and is a free form database of sorts. You just dump information into it any way you want. It's strength is in searching. I have thousands of items in the program but can find anything within 3 seconds of starting to look for it. So research, code snippets, url's, information emails, ezines, and other things make great items to drop in here. When I need to look up something we've published in the ezine I go here and can find everything about a given topic instantly.

Those are just a few ideas. I hope they get you thinking. Without knowing specifically what is eating up your time it's hard to point you in other directions.

Hope that helps!

-- Dan Butler
ps - the "Hope that helps.." on through my signature and some more of this message was inserted by the program I mentioned earlier. Saved me a good 5 seconds there...

> Hello,

> I have a simple question. But, I can't
> imagine that there is a simple answer.

> But ... maybe.

> O.K. There goes.

> As your internet business grows, how DO you
> get everything done?

> My "to do" list grows daily. And
> even though I prioritize my list, it still
> isn't complete by the end of the day.

> Also, I can't frequent the discussion boards
> like I used to, which I miss. But when I do,
> I wonder, "Where do they find the
> time?" and, "O.K.; so, what am I
> doing wrong?" :-)