SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old January 22, 2011, 12:07 AM
Adman

Default $4,000 A WEEK!

I just finished my 2nd "Coffee Mug" program and it "Rocks!"

In ALLLLLLL my years of selling....I've NEVER had anything that was so easy to sell AND....for GOOD money!

How's 4Grand a week....Cash In Fist!

Some years ago I put ONE-Color Ads (4 across and 2 down) on restaurant Coffee Mugs. I gave them to restaurants, no charge. Charged advertisers $365 ($1 a day for a year)

Ads were hard to see....so....renewals were nil.

However....one ad project I've been doing for last few yrs was providing FREE Menus in FULL Color to restaurants.

I was sitting at one of the restaurants...looking at the Menu I had just updated and a thought struck me;
"My Ads were ONLY Seen when diners are deciding what to eat....they then hand the Menu BACK to the waitress and....there go my ads....never to be seen until the next diners come in. I remembered my ONE-Color ads on the Coffee Mugs.....then...as I was looking at my BEAUTIFUL....FULL Color Ads on the pages of the Menu I had just updated.....I thought; Why don't I put my FULL Color Ads ON THE COFFEE MUGS....WHERE THEY'D BE SEEN DURING THE ENTIRE MEAL?"

WHALA! BINGO-BANGO-BONGO! I HAD JUST HIT THE MOTHER-LODE!

So....I dashed back to my office....made up a Label with my FULL Color Ads... printed it out....cut it to size and wrapped it around a Mug.

Dashed back to the restaurant and asked the owner if I could provide her with FREE Coffee Mugs.

She HAPPILY agreed. I then went to some of the advertisers on the Menu and asked them if they'd like to be SEEN....DURING THE ENTIRE MEAL...IN FULL COLOR! Quoted my price ($10 a week...$520 a year + $30 one-time setup = $550) and.....8 out of 14 gave me the OK!

$550 x 8 = $4400

Now....I had to find a supplier. Googled and found 3 that could make what I wanted.

Went to another restaurant where I had provided FREE Menus with my FULL Color Ads on the pages. Got the owners OK to provide him with FREE Mugs. Went to the advertisers and ....8 agreed to pay $550....another $4400.

So....my costs being about $400 per restaurant (I'm an ASI Member and get great discounts)....I KNOW what I'm going to be doing for awhile.

I've attached a Photo of the ONE-Color Mugs and a FULL Color Mug. The difference is AMAZING! "FULL Color SELLS!"

So....taking just an idea....making up a sample....visiting some business people and WHALA....a Barn-Burner!

GREAT Money-Making Ideas are ALL Around

Don Alm....STILL at "it"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2Samples.jpg (20.8 KB, 107 views)
Old January 22, 2011, 02:30 AM
-TW

Default Re: $4,000 A WEEK!

Hi Don...

Looks cool. How many ads are on each mug? I see there are different sizes of ads (yes?) -- Bigger ads cost more, right?

How much do the mugs cost, how many does each rest need (how many do they need each month (replacements)?

Just wanted to see the #'s before I try this too!

Thanks!

-- TW
Old January 23, 2011, 04:47 AM
Thedealmaker

Those are some nice mugs.

I've been looking for a printer that could do that to a mug. So far no luck.

Also how much does each advertiser pay for the space?
Old January 25, 2011, 07:51 PM
Adman

Just finished my 3rd Mug program. This thing is like "picking dollar bills off the sidewalk".

Don Alm.....STILL selling
Old January 25, 2011, 09:34 PM
Pappy

nice... but you still didn't answer their questions...
Old January 26, 2011, 12:53 AM
L.B. Jenkins

Default REALLY!!!! Oh it's Don again

Hold on there sparky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adman View Post
Now....I had to find a supplier. Googled and found 3 that could make what I wanted.

So....my costs being about $400 per restaurant (I'm an ASI Member and get great discounts)....I KNOW what I'm going to be doing for awhile.

If you are an ASI Member why would you Google suppliers? I'm an ASI Member and members NEVER have to Google for suppliers.
Old January 26, 2011, 11:34 AM
Adman

Sir....I became an ASI Member AFTER....Googling for Mug Makers. When I found one with a "4C" for ASI Members....I THEN joined ASI...to get the 40% discount!

Kapeesh!

Don Alm
Old January 26, 2011, 05:14 PM
L.B. Jenkins

So Don,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adman View Post
Sir....I became an ASI Member AFTER....Googling for Mug Makers. When I found one with a "4C" for ASI Members....I THEN joined ASI...to get the 40% discount!

Kapeesh!

Don Alm

Here's the website link. Tell us which one did you buy. ASI Membership
Old January 27, 2011, 01:08 PM
Randy

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.B. Jenkins View Post
So Don,

Here's the website link. Tell us which one did you buy. ASI Membership

For Don and others ... you do not have to be an ASI member in MOST cases to buy at a discount because these people are just like you ... they are in business to make money.

Years ago when I first had interest in what was then called ad specialties I went to the library and searched for manufacturers of ad specialty products.

If I recall correctly at that time ASI said you had to have already done business with x-amount of promotional product providers (or it may have been that I needed to have sold promotional products to x-amount of customers ... can't recall which as this was years ago prior to a stroke) PLUS pay whatever their fees were for ASI. With this information when I called a manufacturer or supplier and they asked if I were an ASI member I told them I was fairly new in the industry and was working on getting 10 suppliers I had done business with so I could become an ASI member. (I think 10 was the number requested back then.)

Anyway MOST worked with me. I think only a handful of suppliers would not work with me and in those instances I went through Kaeser & Blair if I couldn't find the product elsewhere. Now I didn't earn as much profit with K&B but I got the business.

I'm not certain if those requirements are still in place or not and since I am not in need of that I don't feel the need to use valuable time searching for that but for those who have interest I believe the link is here for you to gather this information.

Let's try to see what we can add in the way of value here. Life is short.

Anyway ... I hope this helps.

Randy

Last edited by Randy : January 27, 2011 at 01:32 PM.
Old January 27, 2011, 04:28 PM
Adman

Hi Randy...good to see you're STILL "Alive and Well"...as I am AND.... STILL "doing our OWN thing"....without....Gummit help.

In THIS economy....ya DON'T need a lot of 'Credentials"!

MY Business Attitude has always been....SEE if it Sells, FIRST.....THEN....find a way to "Supply what you sold"!

So many people I've known.....come up with a good idea (they think)...then, spend HUMONGUS HOURS....and....MONEY.....trying to "perfect" their idea, THEN.....when it comes time to go out to the Marketplace and "Get Orders"...they find their "Thing" won't sell or....they don't know how to sell it.

It's a shame that most people go about this "Bass-Ackwards".

I learned LONG AGO to....see IF you can get orders....then....find out how to fill those orders.

If your "Niche" market won't pay what YOU want them to pay...or...if YOU don't know HOW to sell them to pay what YOU want them to pay.... then...why spend another minute developing your product or "thing"!

Sure....to the "goody-two-shoes" crowd....this technique smells of "Con"!

Horse-Hockey! In REAL Life..."Nothing Moves UNLESS it Sells!" If the creator CAN'T get sales...at the price HE wants....then why pursue.

So....re: my MUGS;
You bet....almost EVERY Mug Supplier I talked with.....when I explained that I wanted to buy their Mugs "for Resale"....agreed to give me the ASI price (4C) even though I was NOT an ASI Member.

It's called...."Money Talks and BS walks!"

Anyway...thanks again for chiming in. Good to see you're "Alive and Kickin". For the last 2 wks I've been trying to contact one of my ol-time Direct Sales buddies (who told me back in Sept that they found "Stage 4 Cancer" in his colon.....at the same time I went in for MY Colonostomy and was found to be "Polyp Free")

Take care,
Don Alm in Semi-Retiremitville