SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old December 20, 2008, 12:44 AM
L.B. Jenkins

Default What Top 5 Books Will You Read In 2009?

I am a bookworm!! I'm sure many of us here, members, non-members and lurkers alike all delve into some form of reading to pass the time away.

So what will you focus on this coming year? Below is my list but to make it interesting let's also place a number next to that book for how many times in 2009 you will reread that particular book and why.

1) How to Win Friends and Influence Others - 3 Times / Establish Better Relations
2) Take the Cold Out of Cold Calling - 2 Times / Learn how to research more effectively
3) Excel 2007 for Dummies - 1 Time / Continue teaching myself Excel
4) Secrets of Closing the Sale - 1 Time / It's one of those books that draws me back
5) 7 Steps to Freedom II - 2 Times / I have a personal goal to read this text book twice in one year.
Old December 20, 2008, 09:22 AM
Pete Egeler

Default Re: What Top 5 Books Will You Read In 2009?

Good question, L.B.

If I were going to read a book, it would probably be #2 Take the Cold Out of Cold Calling since I'm working with local businesses, and intend to keep it up through the coming year.

I've got to admit though, I don't see much "cold calling" in my future right now as I'm able to get to my prospects via email and referrals.

In fact, just picked up my first client Thursday. $1000 for sure (I've already got half up front), with the possibility of another $2000 right after the Holidays.

SWEET.

Pete
Old December 21, 2008, 06:41 PM
Unregistered

Default Ben Gay Worked With Napoleon Hill-My Favorite Book on Selling

Dear Pete,

Thanks.

You are right.

Cold calling and cold door knocking is for ignorant folks.

WARM referrals are much more profitable.

Less stressful too.

My Favorite book on selling is "The Closers II" by Ben Gay III.

Amazing.
Amazing.
Amazing book.

Every time you open it you Find NEW ideas to sell with. And after each sale a new layer opens up. The book is like an Onion.

Not a one time read.

That's for sure.

I get all my clients and prospects to read his stuff. Especially his ADVANCED SELLING Closers II book.

After reading 1000's of books on HOW TO SELL. Ben's is right there at the top.

Tell Ben that Glenn Osborn sent you.

He'll sign your book for you.

Ben is the ONLY guy I know of who (as a young man) worked side by side with Napoleon Hill for years. Built a huge company and sold it.

His sales lessons and stories are in the book.

Glenn

Here's the website...(You can learn a lot just by watching what he does there.)

http://www.bfg3.com/

Call this # (California) and you get Ben himself... 800-248-3555
Old January 9, 2009, 08:38 PM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Here are a few books on my list...

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.B. Jenkins View Post
I am a bookworm!! I'm sure many of us here, members, non-members and lurkers alike all delve into some form of reading to pass the time away.

So what will you focus on this coming year? Below is my list but to make it interesting let's also place a number next to that book for how many times in 2009 you will reread that particular book and why.
Hi L.B.,

Thanks for posting about this! Books are crazy, hip, and cool... (Yeah, I know, those words are so... uh... out of date! I feel like I'm positively out of the "jazz age"... But onwards. To the list of books!)

I'm tempted by Malcolm Gladwell's new book, "Outliers". Has anyone read it? From the reviews I've found, it sounds like his main point is that "emotional intelligence" is a big factor in determining success. Though, from leafing through the book at the bookstore, it seems to be about a lot more than that. Has anyone read it?

Another book I want to go through more thoroughly is the famous "Art of War" by Sun Tzu. I've read the book before, but I read it again recently. Contrary to popular opinion, the "Art of War" is not mainly about how to win through battles, but ideally it's about how to win without having a battle at all. A lot of it is about psychology!

I've also started reading some Elmer Wheeler again. There's some wisdom in those "old classics"! And... I also feel the urge to re-read Joseph Sugarman's "Advertising Secrets of the Written Word".

Well, that's my list so far. I'm sure more books will be added to it...

Best wishes,

Dien
Old January 10, 2009, 05:03 AM

Default Outliers - A Review

I just finished reading Outliers yesterday. Its a good book. But after reading it, I am left with a feeling that its just half the book it should have been.

One of my fav quotes is: "Environment trumps discipline" - Howie Schwartz

Thats the entire concept of Outliers. Gladwell's big point is: when and where you are born matter a lot in making you a success.

Yes - he talks about emotional intelligence a bit. But only to show that IQ doesn't have that big an effect in predicting success. And that EQ is based on what kind of family raises you and your early years.

Gladwell also talks about how it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert. But even then, his agenda is to show how when and where you are born helps you in getting those 10,000 hours in.

Example: He talks about how Bill Gates put in 10,000 hours on the computer before he was 19. But he then says that Bill Gates was one in a million to get to use a computer as far back as 1968 when his school got one of the first computers. If Gates would have been born 4-5 years too early or too late - he would have missed the boat.

His point is not false. But its not entirely true either. Because how many other kids were in Gates school too - who had access to the computer but didn't make use of it in 1968? A few hundred?

So Gladwell downplays the hardwork and the smarts element and has made the entire book about the luck element. When and where you are born makes you successful. Something you have no control over. Which will displease a lot of his readers.

Gladwell talks a lot about how environment makes a difference. But he doesn't delve into how you can improve your environment at all - except very subtly towards the end. And thats why - this was just half a book for me.

I would have loved him telling us a bit more about how to change your environment - and not let your environment hold you back.

The tag line for the book is: Outliers - A story of success. It should have been: Outliers - A PARTIAL story of success.

The good part now:

As usual, Gladwell's writing style is superb. He is the master story teller. The way he makes connections with stories and takes you on a well crafted journey and then persuades you to his conclusion is awesome.

The stories and research he has picked is brilliant too. You will definitely get a few "whoa" moments while reading the book. It definitely makes you think. Its well worth the $8.50 and 4 hours I spent reading it. (Might be more expensive outside the Indian subcontinent...)

(Disclosure: Malcolm Gladwell and Robert Greene are 2 authors after whom I've conciously tried to model my writing after. I love his writing style.)

In summary:

Outliers is a good book. You should read it once - especially if you like Gladwell. But its not a must read. And thats because you have to look very hard to gain the how-to part from it.

Rating: 7/10.
Old January 11, 2009, 03:04 PM
Duane Adolph

Default Environment Trumps Discipline

Hi Ankesh,

It's funny "Envirionment Trumps Discipline" is one of my favorite quotes as well.

The first person I heard say it though was Tim Ferris in an interview that David Deangelo did with him just after the release of the 4 hour work week.

Regardless of who said it, it is a great quote.

cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankesh View Post
I just finished reading Outliers yesterday. Its a good book. But after reading it, I am left with a feeling that its just half the book it should have been.

One of my fav quotes is: "Environment trumps discipline" - Howie Schwartz

Thats the entire concept of Outliers. Gladwell's big point is: when and where you are born matter a lot in making you a success.

Yes - he talks about emotional intelligence a bit. But only to show that IQ doesn't have that big an effect in predicting success. And that EQ is based on what kind of family raises you and your early years.

Gladwell also talks about how it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert. But even then, his agenda is to show how when and where you are born helps you in getting those 10,000 hours in.

Example: He talks about how Bill Gates put in 10,000 hours on the computer before he was 19. But he then says that Bill Gates was one in a million to get to use a computer as far back as 1968 when his school got one of the first computers. If Gates would have been born 4-5 years too early or too late - he would have missed the boat.

His point is not false. But its not entirely true either. Because how many other kids were in Gates school too - who had access to the computer but didn't make use of it in 1968? A few hundred?

So Gladwell downplays the hardwork and the smarts element and has made the entire book about the luck element. When and where you are born makes you successful. Something you have no control over. Which will displease a lot of his readers.

Gladwell talks a lot about how environment makes a difference. But he doesn't delve into how you can improve your environment at all - except very subtly towards the end. And thats why - this was just half a book for me.

I would have loved him telling us a bit more about how to change your environment - and not let your environment hold you back.

The tag line for the book is: Outliers - A story of success. It should have been: Outliers - A PARTIAL story of success.

The good part now:

As usual, Gladwell's writing style is superb. He is the master story teller. The way he makes connections with stories and takes you on a well crafted journey and then persuades you to his conclusion is awesome.

The stories and research he has picked is brilliant too. You will definitely get a few "whoa" moments while reading the book. It definitely makes you think. Its well worth the $8.50 and 4 hours I spent reading it. (Might be more expensive outside the Indian subcontinent...)

(Disclosure: Malcolm Gladwell and Robert Greene are 2 authors after whom I've conciously tried to model my writing after. I love his writing style.)

In summary:

Outliers is a good book. You should read it once - especially if you like Gladwell. But its not a must read. And thats because you have to look very hard to gain the how-to part from it.

Rating: 7/10.
Old January 20, 2009, 08:39 PM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Re: Outliers - A Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankesh View Post

Hi Ankesh,

Thanks for your very helpful review!

The example of Bill Gates that you shared with us is instructive. Bill Gates put in 10,000 hours on computers back in the very early days. Of course, he had that opportunity, and had the focus and drive to do that. And computers ended up becoming very important.

However, many of us have the opportunity to put in many hours into new technologies. How many of us take the opportunity?

E.g. New technologies that have appeared in recent years are... blogging, podcasting, online video, etc. What's next? What's new that's coming up?

Perhaps the "lesson" here is to look at what's coming up, make an assessment of how important it will be, then put in the hours to "master" it if it looks sufficiently promising!

Just some thoughts...

Best wishes

Dien
Old January 10, 2009, 05:21 AM

I doubt if I'm going to re-read any of the books this year. Except maybe Good To Great - and that too if I end up writing a report / post or something on the life of Chanakya. (Good To Great reveals 6 principles of successful companies. Chanakya's life shows us the same 6 principles. Some time, I would like to compare the 2...)

Right now, on my amazon books wishlist - I have 35 books. None of them available in India. But I plan to read about 15-20 of them in 2009.

* The Four Steps to the Epiphany - by Steven Gary Blank.
* Either Inventor's Bible by Ronald Docie - Or - How To License Your Million Dollar Idea by Harvey Reese.
* Either ebook by Jim Novo - or books by Brian Woolf - on CRM and loyalty.
* Poor Charlies Almanac - by Charlie Munger.
* No Eraser Needed: Mistake Proofing Your Business - by Ronald Buckley.
Old January 10, 2009, 08:49 PM
Administrator

Default My January reading list...mostly oldies.

Here are the 5 books I'm reading this month:

The Science of Marketing by Mail by Homer J. Buckley

How to Increase Your Money-Making Power by John Alan Appleman

The Path of Least Resistance by Robert Fritz

The Power of Psychic Awareness by Kingdon L. Brown (Parker Publising)

The Hero With a Thousand Faces by Joseph Campbell

All are RE-reads with the exception of the one bolded. Although I have a pretty complete Parker Pub library, I didn't have this one.

Also, January is a review month for me, so I'll be going over the bookshelf looking for lost nuggets of wisdom from a variety of sources.

Books that I reach for every January:

Psycho-Cybernetics by Maxwell Maltz
The Sale Begins When the Customer Says No by Elmer Leterman
The Prophet by Kahil Gibran
Norvell's Dynamic Laws of Successful Living by Anthony Norvell
Giant Steps and other works by Barry Neil Kaufman
And a complete review of Harvey Brody's course on Toll Positions.

I read every day. It is a lifelong habit, like writing every day. Best investment I ever made was in Harry Lorayne's memory course with a speed reading section in it.

I can't find much NEW stuff that holds my interest. If you have a NEW must read book, please let us know.

Gordon Jay Alexander

PS. And I'll be reading some of my old stuff too, the early 90's stuff is filled with great advice I wish I would have taken...HA!
Old January 12, 2009, 10:46 AM
MGeorge

Hi Gordon:

I got an old copy several years ago of the book Psycho-Cybernetics by Maxwell Maltz. It changed my life because it gets to the heart of the matter which I think has to do with deep seated limiting beliefs that reside in the subconscious.

That book led me to another book I have enjoyed reading which is "The Key" by Joe Vitale. It talks about many methods to get clear of limiting beliefs in your life and be able to move forward.

Great reading for this time of the year.