SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old January 6, 2008, 11:22 AM
Administrator

Default The RECESSION of 08, 09, 2010, '11...not much of a limb, but I'll go out on it...

There will be RECESSION...some say we're in it. Not quite. But soon. Very soon.

Mark it, copy it and print it out...rub my nose in it IF I'm wrong. BUT,

the majority of people will get HURT in this recession. A minority will be untouched. And a few...a very few...

are going to PROSPER beyond their wildest dreams. NOT because I say so, but because history says so.

The next US president is going to be facing the worst economic crisis of our generation and it may rival the crisis of the Depression.

Go ahead, and put down your opposing views if you want...go on the record...(but not anonymously...you'll be deleted)...and let the cards fall where they may.

I'm going to address and be in the "few"...those that will continue to prosper and rise above the recession. You can't be of much help to others if you are one of those that are getting "hurt" by the recession.

Your choice is to get hurt...or get healthy, from a financial viewpoint.

OPPORTUNITIES sky rocket in downturn economies...but so does disaster...and there are too many people dancing with disaster.

OK? So what can I do Mr. Recessionitis?

Do your homework and look to history, to see what types of businesses will soar...what was gangbusters in 74-75? LOOK to history for clues to your future. I'll be sharing some of my thoughts on the Great RECESSION of 08-09 etc. so please share yours.

Gordon Jay Alexander

PS. Where you are TODAY, right now...IF I'm right and we bottom out and RECESSION overtakes us...right now...

will you GET HURT? or will you PROSPER?
Old January 6, 2008, 11:47 AM
FirstBorn

Default Re: The RECESSION of 08, 09, 2010, '11...not much of a limb, but I'll go out on it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonJ View Post
There will be RECESSION...some say we're in it. Not quite. But soon. Very soon.

Mark it, copy it and print it out...rub my nose in it IF I'm wrong. BUT,

the majority of people will get HURT in this recession. A minority will be untouched. And a few...a very few...

are going to PROSPER beyond their wildest dreams. NOT because I say so, but because history says so.

The next US president is going to be facing the worst economic crisis of our generation and it may rival the crisis of the Depression.

Go ahead, and put down your opposing views if you want...go on the record...(but not anonymously...you'll be deleted)...and let the cards fall where they may.

I'm going to address and be in the "few"...those that will continue to prosper and rise above the recession. You can't be of much help to others if you are one of those that are getting "hurt" by the recession.

Your choice is to get hurt...or get healthy, from a financial viewpoint.

OPPORTUNITIES sky rocket in downturn economies...but so does disaster...and there are too many people dancing with disaster.

OK? So what can I do Mr. Recessionitis?

Do your homework and look to history, to see what types of businesses will soar...what was gangbusters in 74-75? LOOK to history for clues to your future. I'll be sharing some of my thoughts on the Great RECESSION of 08-09 etc. so please share yours.

Gordon Jay Alexander

PS. Where you are TODAY, right now...IF I'm right and we bottom out and RECESSION overtakes us...right now...

will you GET HURT? or will you PROSPER?

Hi Gordon,

Thanks for the "Wake UP!" Post!

Here's a Q for You:
Where would one go to research the businesses
(Types / Industries / Products/Services, etc.)
that have thrived Historically (as You mentioned)
during Depression and Recession times?

Since things have changed Drastically since the 'Big One'
in 1929, how would that affect what to look for in
money making ventures that will thrive during 'hard times?'

For instance, they [people of the 1920s/1930s]
didn't have the internet and many of the technological
advances that We have today.

What would YOU do if the US would go into a Tail Spin
and get STUCK in a Recession and/or Depression?
(will have to wear the "WWGD" badges... HA!)

I bet a LOT will be riding on the elections and who wins.

Christopher
(Not Anonymous)
Old January 6, 2008, 12:47 PM
Administrator

Default The US is going to go into a tailspin...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstBorn View Post
Here's a Q for You:
Where would one go to research the businesses
(Types / Industries / Products/Services, etc.)
that have thrived Historically (as You mentioned)
during Depression and Recession times?

What would YOU do if the US would go into a Tail Spin
and get STUCK in a Recession and/or Depression?
(will have to wear the "WWGD" badges... HA!)

I bet a LOT will be riding on the elections and who wins.

Christopher
(Not Anonymous)

Christopher,

Instead of 29, let's go back to 1974... similar situation with OIL...

And make no mistake about it, OIL is the problem...or rather, how much of it we get...

One of my secet weapons is a TIME machine...found in libraries and online at places like best sellers of ______ etc. Old magazines and newspapers. Which is why I still harp on visiting the LIBRARY once in awhile. I can find things on Micofilm in a matter of seconds, whereas, online it could take days to track this stuff down...

Anyhow, there are basics. One basic is OIL is in every aspect of our lives, from the grocery store to our transportation. IT is the critical element for us.

All the rhetoric of the presidential candiates isn't going to change squat in Washington. If you drive a car, you buy gasoline...gasoline prices are going up. Bet on it.

Home heating oil: going UP. Electricity: UP. Water prices: UP.
The good news is, real estate is going to hit a low...great if you have some bux to invest...but make sure you have tenants or buyers lined up first.

So Christopher, that is the first place to look for opportunity:

Answer these questions:

How can I help people save money on their electric, gas, water on all utilities?
What products will people want? (Energy efficient ones)

What about JOBS? Today's paper is full of major companies from Kraft to Chrysler who will be laying off thousands of workers this year...what do these job seekers, the newly unemployed want/need?

The March 2008 issue of Small Business Opportunitties has this headline:

"OUR BIGGEST ISSUE EVER!"

According to the Gordon Alexander Economic Indicator Scale...this is NOT good news for the economy...but it is great for those who have material or businesses that can help people earn money...

It will be a great time for CHATTEL (EVEN BETTER TIMES, cause there is no bad time to chattel).

Barter will once again hit the spotlight. Gold. Silver. Diamonds. Pocket watches, etc. will soar.

HOMESTEADING will become HOT again...dust off those old green house plans...and get out the past issues of Mother Earth News.

Help people MAKE more money, SAVE money, keep their money...lower their utilities, have more fun, get and stay healthy...and you'll be one of the FEW that prospers in the coming RECESSION.

Gordon Jay Alexander
Old January 6, 2008, 12:49 PM
Sandi Bowman

Default Re: The RECESSION of 08, 09, 2010, '11...not much of a limb, but I'll go out on it...

Okay, I'm on record as saying that, economic factors may spur people to take actions that lead us into...and, when they're fed up enough...out of recessions but the bottom line is people talk/act themselves into and out of recessions.

It begins with 'what if' and leads to 'just in case'. 'Just in case' leads to 'actions that cause further downturns' that leads to...exactly what they caused to happen.

I have very little patience with the scaremongers who predict this, that, and the next thing and broadcast their doom and gloom everywhere without thought of the fallout...and for the people who refuse to think for themselves and act rashly on the say-so and behaviors of others. A big 'sell-off' by a few self-appointed leaders and next thing you know, the stocks are being sold off, usually at a loss, for no other reason than simple-minded panic.

There are, because of the ridiculous mix of regulations and people with their hands out for anything they can grab from the gov, factors that increase or decrease (occasionally) the natural turns of events but, bottom line is, if everyone just had patience and waited things out, they'd avoid losing money and jobs and recession would be mild, if it happened at all.

Study history if you want but it's not going to be a lot of help. This isn't the 19th century but the people are still subject to 19th century thinking...and that's the real problem we face. That and lawmakers without any sensible restraints on their passing of ridiculous regulations and so on.

What we need to do is repeal 3 laws for every 1 law they want to put on the books, at minimum for starters, then take some of that education for the masses money that's invested in 'garbage' research and educate the masses about cause and effect. Other than that...well, read your history books, bury your money until it is again worth more than the dirt it's resting in, and hang on for dear life.

To those who invest, more power to you, but give some thought to putting that money into things that will keep us out of recession or help the economy and the people thrive instead of taking the profits and putting them into gambles and speculation and then letting it sit. I know it's wishful thinking...but one can dream, can't they?

Sandi Bowman
Old January 6, 2008, 02:43 PM
Administrator

Default Your rhetoric garners sympathy, but it is WISHFUL THINKING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandi Bowman View Post

Study history if you want but it's not going to be a lot of help. This isn't the 19th century but the people are still subject to 19th century thinking...and that's the real problem we face.

That and lawmakers without any sensible restraints on their passing of ridiculous regulations and so on.

What we need to do is repeal 3 laws for every 1 law they want to put on the books, at minimum for starters, then take some of that education for the masses money that's invested in 'garbage' research and educate the masses about cause and effect. Other than that...well, read your history books, bury your money until it is again worth more than the dirt it's resting in, and hang on for dear life.

To those who invest, more power to you, but give some thought to putting that money into things that will keep us out of recession or help the economy and the people thrive instead of taking the profits and putting them into gambles and speculation and then letting it sit. I know it's wishful thinking...but one can dream, can't they?

Sandi Bowman

Dream of what Sandi? That people are going to change because you want them too? Because we can educate them to understand?

Your diatribe sounds like Ron Paul at the debates...probably very righteous thinking...but not practical, not useful, not purposeful at all.

What people are still subject to 19th century thinking? The majority of our visitors here at SowPub? Most of the people in your neighborhood? The vast majority of American citizens?

I don't get who the THEY and them are. What legislation do you want repealed and what are doing to repeal it? What lawmakers do you want out of office and who are you going to replace them with?

Sounding the bell and trying to get people to see the writing on the wall, so they can prepare for bad economic weather if and when it comes...even if it is created by a few...is hardly being a FEAR mongerer.

"I have very little patience with the scaremongers who predict this, that, and the next thing and broadcast their doom and gloom everywhere without thought of the fallout..."

What exactly is the fallout ? of predicting, forecasting and broadcasting their opinions...and preparation is NOT doom and gloom...it is a siren...a warning signal...and you and others are free to ignore it if you want.

Do you have some very specific steps we can take to keep the us from "simple minded panic'?

I'm not acting out of simple minded panic...I see what is happening, how are your drug costs doing? How is teh price of your medication...DOWN? THANKS to Wal-Mart?

Millions of baby boomers ARE impacting our life...not a dream, not a wish, but a fact of life...the aging boomers will have an economic effect upon our health care...upon social security...and I'm not sure who you are referring to regarding

"and people with their hands out for anything they can grab from the gov"

We have to either cut THEIR hands off (whomever you are referring to) or not have anything for them to grab from the gov....right?

Well, I am sympathetic to your anger and frustration and your viewpoint...however, wishful thinking isn't going to be of much help I'm afraid...don't you think PREPARATION is going to do us more good? Or am I understanding you correctly and should I get my plastic coffee can and shovel ready and that's how I can get through any "fake" recessions that we create?

I just can't accept your hypothesis based on THEY and THEM and what we should do and didn't do.

I'm very clearly stating, I BELIEVE a recession is coming.

IF it comes (however it is created) most people are going to get HURT.

Some won't feel a thing. OTHERS will profit and prosper and be in a position to HELP other people because they gave some actionable thought and put well thought out strategy into their bag of tricks. OK?

Gordon Jay Alexander
Old January 6, 2008, 04:07 PM
Sandi Bowman

Baloney, GJA. When I stated the lawmakers...that's who the 'they' are in that paragraph+. When I say 'the people' that's who the 'they' are in that frame of reference. Just read what I actually wrote. Stop being so literal and try to follow the other person's train of thought. That's what Michael did. Try it.

No dream of people changing because I want them to...any more than smokers quit smoking or people stop eating the 'wrong' foods. Even you will surely admit that education does help people to make more informed decisions. Instead of measuring the off-gassing of cows, how about we produce some informative yet captivating videos about the realities of cause and effect and simple economic survival tactics? Most folks are interested in survival and self-preservation so why not capitalize on that?

I'll tell you why no one takes on this challenge: money is the bottom line. The name of the games big brother and others play is profits...and the consequences to others be damned. I, personally, think that's irresponsible when carried to the extremes we are seeing these days. This is where history would be valuable...to prove/show the same attitudes and actions precipitated other recessions etc to those who choose not to believe or see.

I see, I know, I am preparing for any eventuality as much as I can. I would hope that things would turn around in time but it doesn't look promising this time around. That does not mean that we should just sit back and say 'oh, well, they (people) will never learn'. That's foolish thinking. People can, and do, change their minds, do follow through appropriately when it's to their benefit to do so, and effect many other changes...but first, they need to be educated and informed.

GJA, I'm sure you know who puts the laws on the books so let's not go there. If lawmakers can only justify their exhorbitant incomes and dream-scene perks by passing unneeded laws without doing anything to correct prior poorly written or totally laughable laws, then they are to be pitied...and put out of their misery by removing them from office.

As for who is subject to 19th century thinking: the majority of the people on this earth, frankly. Not a one of us does not hold some belief that stems from earlier times. Even the belief in recessions and depressions originates in history, and currently, directly relates particularly to events in the 19th century.

As for the scaremongering and fallout. It is one thing to tell people what you think, believe, see, etc...it is quite another to run around like Chicken Little saying 'the sky is falling! the sky is falling!'. You don't yell fire in a crowded theater but it's okay to ask people to exit through this or that door in an orderly fashion without panicking everyone. See my point? Use discretion when delivering potentially (note that word) upsetting information.

As for the simple minded panic, see the paragraph above about education and people changing their minds/actions.

There's nothing wishful thinking about what I propose...not a bit of it. You see, I'm not quite as pessimistic as some folks. I say, give folks a chance to do what's in their own best interests...once they know what that is.

Sandi Bowman
Old January 6, 2008, 05:50 PM
Administrator

Default The Sky IS falling, so "Chicken Little" can sell sky-proof umbrellas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandi Bowman View Post
Baloney, GJA. When I stated the lawmakers...that's who the 'they' are in that paragraph+. When I say 'the people' that's who the 'they' are in that frame of reference. Just read what I actually wrote. Stop being so literal and try to follow the other person's train of thought. That's what Michael did. Try it.

I read what you wrote Sandi. Including this:
I have very little patience with the scaremongers who predict this, that, and the next thing and broadcast their doom and gloom everywhere without thought of the fallout...and for the people who refuse to think for themselves and act rashly on the say-so and behaviors of others.

Even you will surely admit that education does help people to make more informed decisions.

NO, I won't admit that. It is storied, fabled and we all know of educated people with advance degrees who make absolutely terrible decisions. They are some of the most informed people in the world. Many of them are the "lawmakers" and legislators you want to blame.

I'll tell you why no one takes on this challenge: money is the bottom line. The name of the games big brother and others play is profits...and the consequences to others be damned.

The EPA was established by big brother, not to make more profits...but to do some good. Has it?

I, personally, think that's irresponsible when carried to the extremes we are seeing these days. This is where history would be valuable...to prove/show the same attitudes and actions precipitated other recessions etc to those who choose not to believe or see.

I see, I know, I am preparing for any eventuality as much as I can. I would hope that things would turn around in time but it doesn't look promising this time around. That does not mean that we should just sit back and say 'oh, well, they (people) will never learn'. That's foolish thinking.

I'm sorry, I'm just not following you at all. Isn't yelling "FIRE" in a crowded theater appropriate when there is a fire in the theater? You have NO PATIENCE for fearmongering...and for those who will not make their own decisions...because they are not educated enough...or informed???

The POINT of my post is one of EDUCATION...it is more like showing the exits on the plane at the start of trip, rather than waiting until the plane is falling out of the sky and yelling to people...stay calm, we have emergency exits on this plane...

People can, and do, change their minds, do follow through appropriately when it's to their benefit to do so, and effect many other changes...but first, they need to be educated and informed.

GJA, I'm sure you know who puts the laws on the books so let's not go there. If lawmakers can only justify their exhorbitant incomes and dream-scene perks by passing unneeded laws without doing anything to correct prior poorly written or totally laughable laws, then they are to be pitied...and put out of their misery by removing them from office.

Isn't that what elections are for?

As for who is subject to 19th century thinking: the majority of the people on this earth, frankly. Not a one of us does not hold some belief that stems from earlier times. Even the belief in recessions and depressions originates in history, and currently, directly relates particularly to events in the 19th century.

As for the scaremongering and fallout. It is one thing to tell people what you think, believe, see, etc...it is quite another to run around like Chicken Little saying 'the sky is falling! the sky is falling!'. You don't yell fire in a crowded theater but it's okay to ask people to exit through this or that door in an orderly fashion without panicking everyone. See my point?

NO, I don't see your point. And I don't think I need a translator either, I'm just reading what you wrote.

Use discretion when delivering potentially (note that word) upsetting information.

WHY? Who is it upsetting so much that caution must be used?

Shh, don't tell anyone, but I think a recession is coming? Does that work for ya?

As for the simple minded panic, see the paragraph above about education and people changing their minds/actions.

Again, education does not necessarily translate into making better decisions, informed or otherwise.

There's nothing wishful thinking about what I propose...not a bit of it.

HERE Sandi is where I'm really confused....WHAT exactly are you proposing? I've read it several times, maybe I do need a translator...

You see, I'm not quite as pessimistic as some folks. I say, give folks a chance to do what's in their own best interests...once they know what that is.

Sandi Bowman

I'm extremely OPTIMISTIC. You want to give people a chance to do what's in their own best interest...once they know what that is...according to ????????????

I'm sorry, I don't get what you are saying. You feel that I somehow used a scaremonger approach...that we of the recession soon to be belief are yelling fire in a crowded theater...and that is a bad thing?

You want an educated and INFORMED constituency, yet on the other hand you practically call them idiots for not being able to think for themselves.

I'll try this one last time.

MAYBE it is me who needs translated...

I believe we are at the beginning stages of a very deep recession. It is time to take INFORMED action and make sure you (the readers) are not in the group that is going to get hurt.

OK? I've informed the SowPub readers. I believe they are an educated group, quite capable of understanding this...and I'm presenting opportunities that they can capitalize on.

I'm not blaming an undereducated, underinformed America-at-large NOR am I looking to politicians to change their ways....so, in response to your "Baloney" Sandi, I must say...

HOGWASH!!

Gordon Jay Alexander
Old January 6, 2008, 06:01 PM
Sandi Bowman

To each his own, I say. I've had my say, you've had yours. We obviously don't speak the same language, GJA, and that means further discussion between us would be pointless. End of saga as far as I'm concerned.

Sandi Bowman
Old January 7, 2008, 03:09 AM
Bill

Default Re: Your rhetoric garners sympathy, but it is WISHFUL THINKING

GJ:

I'd be interested in hearing why you believe that Ron Paul's ideas are "not practical, not useful, not purposeful at all".

Bill
Old January 7, 2008, 03:25 AM

Default Re: Your rhetoric garners sympathy, but it is WISHFUL THINKING

Not GJA. But may I answer?

Ron Paul is not machivelian enough. If your aim is to have a smaller government - you don't tell that from before hand.

Like it or not: the US Government is the biggest employer in USA. By saying that once elected, you'll cut the federal funds to balance the budget - you've lost millions of votes.

The businesses love Ron Paul. But the businesses alone can't win him the elections.

Nonetheless - he makes an interesting 3rd wheel. I'll be very surprised if he gets the Republican seat. But he may enjoy the prophet-effect: become a lot more famous afterwards.