SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old October 14, 2013, 02:49 PM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Boomers are starting businesses

I just read an article which pointed out that many boomers are starting (or have started) new businesses...

A bad job market is partly the reason. However, I think it's a good thing to start a business (full-time, or part-time)...

I have always tended to think of the various business skills - like sales skills, customer service skills, marketing skills, product sourcing skills, and so on - as "urban survival skills."

Kind of like how Tarzan can survive in the jungle, with "urban survival skills" you can survive in the "urban jungle!"

And one way of learning these skills is through your own full- or part-time business...

Of course, it's always handy to have a little extra money in your pocket, too!

I've had some health problems recently (to do with type 2 diabetes). As a result, I had to stop one side-business I was running while I've been dealing with some of these health issues... It wasn't my main source of income, but that side-business would sometimes put just under a grand a month in my pocket. That extra money won't make me a billionaire - but it was nice extra money to have...!

Anyway... Here's the article on boomers going into business...

http://www.buffalonews.com/business/...neurs-20131010

Best wishes!

Dien
Old October 14, 2013, 10:51 PM
Phil

Default Why Everyone Will Have to Become an Entrepreneur!!

Hi Dien,

As said [many] Times before, your Health is your {true} Wealth! ...

Take really Good care and other Monies/Investments etc., etc... will Flow and Grow very nicely too...

I'm sure you know All about the following and Why? ...

But Hopefully it will Help others passing through and Finally get some Action going in their Lives! ...

Business wise and related in Multiple formats with Unlimited Ideas & opportunities... Your Time has come, Circa 2013-2028...

Think! ... Study and Grab the Sign of the Times! ...

Why Everyone Will Have to Become an Entrepreneur... Your Time has Come!
https://www.google.com/search?q=why+...DMmUiAKh8oCAAg

Talking about Side business ideas... Piles and Piles to choose from, Dig deep, down inside...
https://www.google.com/search?q=side...GqW5igKgqICoDA

All the best,
Phil

Last edited by Phil : October 14, 2013 at 11:02 PM. Reason: additional info...
Old October 15, 2013, 12:18 AM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Re: Why Everyone Will Have to Become an Entrepreneur!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
Think! ... Study and Grab the Sign of the Times! ...

Why Everyone Will Have to Become an Entrepreneur... Your Time has Come!
https://www.google.com/search?q=why+...DMmUiAKh8oCAAg

Talking about Side business ideas... Piles and Piles to choose from, Dig deep, down inside...
https://www.google.com/search?q=side...GqW5igKgqICoDA

All the best,
Phil
Thanks Phil!

Firstly, I think those articles are right, that certainly a lot more people will have to become entrepreneurs as time goes by...

Jobs are going overseas. First, it was manufacturing. Now, many other jobs are going overseas, too. People are hiring overseas programmers, and even people overseas to help them do their taxes. Pretty much, if you can communiciate the job and deliver the result over the internet, you can "outsource" it overseas, for cheaper...

Not all jobs have left. Some people who are doing well, at least here in Australia, are tradespeople. People like plumbers, electricians, people in the building industry. If you want a new concrete driveway, you still have to hire a local to do the concreting for you - you can't outsource that overseas!

So, I don't think all jobs will go overseas. But more and more jobs seem to be doing that...

Being your own boss isn't always easy. There's a big learning curve. But, it's the only way to truly control your own future...!

Thanks also for the links on side-businesses... Lots of ideas there. Some of them pretty good ones, too! I'll be going through more of those articles...

Best wishes,

Dien
Old October 15, 2013, 10:08 PM
SarahMiller01

Default Re: Boomers are starting businesses

I agree. Thanks for the information
Old December 3, 2013, 06:48 AM
michellepinto

Entrepreneurship increases greediness in you. The main ambition becomes getting more profit. you become profit centric. In the process we make others greedy. I understand this is the need of hour. But if our government would have done things better and managed well, there were no need of entrepreneurs. We all would have joined the hand of government and things would have improved for better. Idea of entrepreneurship will increases the number of rich people but that will increase poverty also. What if we would have been responsible for one activity only and the mastery would have been at its excellence.
Old January 15, 2014, 06:28 PM
Onwards and upwards!

Default I'm glad I don't live in an "no entrepreneurship" society...

Quote:
Originally Posted by michellepinto View Post
Entrepreneurship increases greediness in you. The main ambition becomes getting more profit. you become profit centric. In the process we make others greedy. I understand this is the need of hour. But if our government would have done things better and managed well, there were no need of entrepreneurs. We all would have joined the hand of government and things would have improved for better. Idea of entrepreneurship will increases the number of rich people but that will increase poverty also. What if we would have been responsible for one activity only and the mastery would have been at its excellence.
I don't agree with you!

They have tried "no entrepreneurship" societies... One that springs to mind is the old Soviet Union, or another is old China (under Mao).

While such a society can "work" - much is lost... There are few options for people, and it usually ends up that everyone is poorer...

Apparently, in communist societies, lack of motivation can be a big problem. There is little incentive to work harder.

That's why I don't agree!

- Dien
Old January 16, 2014, 12:51 PM
bryanblake

It is no surprise that more and more boomers are starting businesses. The baby boomers were a rebellious generation as it is, so starting a business and continuing to march in their own direction only seems like a logical connection. There are also a large number of boomers who have spent decades in the market gaining and developing specific skills that have become extremely valuable in the market place today. They also have grown to the point where many of them have the investments that will allow for them to start their own business. I imagine that the groundwork these folks develop now will be a solid foundation for the next generation to follow.
Old January 16, 2014, 04:36 PM
Onwards and upwards!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanblake View Post
It is no surprise that more and more boomers are starting businesses. The baby boomers were a rebellious generation as it is, so starting a business and continuing to march in their own direction only seems like a logical connection. There are also a large number of boomers who have spent decades in the market gaining and developing specific skills that have become extremely valuable in the market place today. They also have grown to the point where many of them have the investments that will allow for them to start their own business. I imagine that the groundwork these folks develop now will be a solid foundation for the next generation to follow.
Hi Bryan,

You're right - many boomers have a natural rebelliousness about them!

I'm slightly younger than the boomer generation, but always respected that boomer rebelliousness! (And I often "wished I was there"... )

Going against convention - being a rebel, in other words - can often be good for business. Entrepreneurs trash convention. They can rub people the wrong way by not being part of the "crowd." Often, they don't first ask "permission" - but go ahead and do it, and others better get out of the way.

Your other points follow, too. It would seem like many boomers would be natural entrepreneurs!

Best wishes,

Dien