SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old February 1, 2011, 07:46 PM
Administrator

Default Anyone in BOSTON? How is the FOOD SUPPLY?

Just got off the phone with a friend in the Boston area. He works in the trucking industry and informs me that FOOD trucks (and trains) are going to be blocked out and that TODAY, there was a "mini run" on the supermarkets in the greater Boston area.

Can anyone confirm? Or deny? Does your supermarket have PLENTY of toilet paper, food?

Have people been "stocking up" for this next round of snow and ice due in town Thursday morning?

A story that has been buried and/or ignored amidst the fury of Egypt and Mugs, is the weather and the impact it is having on the food supply.

We in FL, have had some crop effecting weather back in Dec. and so has Georgia, Mississippi, and other winter growing states.

Has anyone noticed a creeping price in food?

OK, just wondering. I'm always prepared, but, there is some talk about food shortages or food prices being behind the protests in Egypt along with UNemployment.

We Americans will wait for the warm weather before we hit the streets over the cost of food, but, is it headed our way?

Your NON political comments welcome (or your civil political comments are welcome too, however, you know I delete the chest thumping finger pointing crap faster than a speeding bullet {or when I see it} )

FOOD. Is it going to be flashpoint in USA?

Gordon Alexander
Old February 1, 2011, 11:36 PM
LindaC

Default Re: Anyone in BOSTON? How is the FOOD SUPPLY?

Hi Gordon,

Yes...saw higher food prices where I live this afternoon.

A brand of snack cakes I buy was priced last week at $1 per box. Today, that same brand of snack cakes was priced $1.49.

Don't know how the events in Egypt will affect the US but, I do wish we could stop sending 1.5 billion to Egypt.

My Best 2 U,

LindaC
Old February 2, 2011, 03:09 AM
Phil

Default FOOD SUPPLY? Get ready, loaf of wheat bread $23, sugar $62, Orange Juice $45.71...

Gordon,

Not necessarily what you're Looking for...

But! ...

Not much has Changed from Way Back when...

Quick Food for Thought...

HEAVY BUYING IN BOSTON.; Food Shortage Caused by Consumers ...

Published: August 22, 1914...
http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive...D0405B848DF1D3

Uptodate and Up-and-Coming for 2011 & beyond...

Yes! Food Prices are Going absolutely Crazy and It's Only Going to Get Worse...

11/6/2010 - Within a decade, a loaf of wheat bread may cost $23 in a grocery store in the United States, and a 32-oz package of sugar might run $62. A 64-oz container of Minute Maid Orange Juice, meanwhile, could set you back $45.71. This is all according to a new report released Friday by the National Inflation...

Global sugar prices soar as Brazilian crop impacted by heavy rains .... No End Seen to Destruction of Farm Output Capacity and Food Shortages .... wheat supply led to panic buying on August 23 and caused prices of the grain to skyrocket. ... New LED lighting technology embraced by consumers, Total Cost of Ownership ...
http://www.naturalnews.com/prices.html
http://beforeitsnews.com/story/134/4...1 ,_2010.html

Surprisingly! ...

Still Endless Ways to Squeeze & "Spin-Out" Never-ending Opportunities Using our Good ol' protein called Noggin Brain Neurons...

Economic Squeeze Turns Lemons into Lemonade, once Again! "If life gives you a lemon, make a lemonade" goes a wise old adage...
http://www.boloji.com/perspective/004.htm

Food on the Table and A Whole Lot more If you Squeeze All your Lemons in the Right old Direction(s)...

Just One Quick example...

Debra Conrad's Excellent ongoing Sharing of ideas, resources All about the Never-ending Public Domain in just about Every possible Niche...

The hottest topic right now in the U.S. (and I know is watched all over the world):
Anything To Do With The Economy
http://www.publicdomaintreasurehunte...nment-content/

Phil

Last edited by Phil : February 2, 2011 at 03:17 AM. Reason: additional info...
Old February 4, 2011, 03:07 AM
donsonic

Gordon,
Happy New Year 2011...
As a vegetarian in Boston I have notice food prices have increased by 50% over the past three years ! This includes a staple product Quinoa that was $1.99 a pound in 2008. And is now $3.69 a pound. Most recently... A loaf of whole wheat bread last week, at 1.06 pounds just went up from $3.50 to $4.99 in one felt swoop, all within about two weeks. The past two storms were pretty brutal on food stocks and supplies. Shopping at whole foods in Boston, I usually get in there an hour or two from opening 9-10 am, when the breads and baked goods come out the oven. After that, the store is MOBBED before a storm... Overall prices are up anywhere from 10-15% over the past few months.

Donnie D.
Old February 4, 2011, 03:22 PM
Administrator

Thanks Donnie,

I noticed that both the West Palm Beach and Asheville Whole Foods had some significant price increases recently.

Also, I noticed the TV ads for "freeze dried food" popped up last week, they, like the administration; "never let a crisis go to waste"....

And with pictures of Egypt turmoil and the Mid East in "Crisis", we'll probably see more of these "survival" type products. The solar power generator, freeze dried foods, and gardening equipment should spike soon.

Boston has been hit hard, and yet, no one is dying in the streets of hunger (that we know of)...

Along the "flashpoint" note...Houston is about to explode due to the release of police video brutality...only the cold weather has prevented it...

And ACTIVISM from all fronts will come full force this Spring, and with the 2012 "apocolypse" right around the corner...

good time to keep our eyes open and for us of the Entrepreneurial mode, a good time to plan for profits.

Thanks Donnie, I think your Whole Foods is going to see MASSIVE price increases as the Winter comes to an end.

Stay warm, (I'm typing this from the pool, it's over 80 right now...YIKES) and start buying a little bit extra every week for a rainy day.

Gordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsonic View Post
Gordon,
Happy New Year 2011...
As a vegetarian in Boston I have notice food prices have increased by 50% over the past three years ! This includes a staple product Quinoa that was $1.99 a pound in 2008. And is now $3.69 a pound. Most recently... A loaf of whole wheat bread last week, at 1.06 pounds just went up from $3.50 to $4.99 in one felt swoop, all within about two weeks. The past two storms were pretty brutal on food stocks and supplies. Shopping at whole foods in Boston, I usually get in there an hour or two from opening 9-10 am, when the breads and baked goods come out the oven. After that, the store is MOBBED before a storm... Overall prices are up anywhere from 10-15% over the past few months.

Donnie D.
Old February 4, 2011, 08:13 PM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Freezing/flooding possibly due to the "La Nina" weather pattern...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonJ View Post
FOOD. Is it going to be flashpoint in USA?
Hi Gordon,

I've read that this freaky weather could be an effect of the "La Nina" effect in the Pacific Ocean, which is a periodic cooling of the ocean surface temperatures... Apparently, this can wreak havoc with the weather in many places, including the USA and also Australia...

The freezing weather in the USA, and the flooding and cyclones in Australia and flooding in Brazil, are all possibly effects of the La Nina weather pattern...

Here's an article I found about it...

La Niņa brings ice, snow and cold to Midwest

By the way, food prices are expected to go up in Australia too, as many food crops in various places have been wiped out by floods...

- Dien
Old February 5, 2011, 03:43 AM
-TW

Default New book someone could write...

Skyrocketing Food Prices Yield New Weight-Loss Craze...

"The Sticker Shock Diet"

lol

-- TW
Old February 5, 2011, 08:28 AM
donsonic

Thumbs up Re: Anyone in BOSTON? How is the FOOD SUPPLY?

Gordon,
Always nice to hear from you. Things are definitely speeding up.... Prices skyrocketing, while things on the grid are getting much more UNSTABLE. What's happening in Egypt will pretty much impact and have a domino affect in every middle eastern country today... And the fallout from that will spill into our plates. I'd like to really see how the American military and FEMA would respond if we had half-a-million folks demonstrating in the streets for positive change. What's going on today around the world boggles the mind. I'll keep my eyes and ears peeled on SOWPub for any info and opportunities that may arise in the future. Keep up the awesome work you're doing and wish you all the best that life has to offer !

Donnie D.
Old February 13, 2011, 11:01 AM
Steve MacLellan

In the arctic town Nunavut, people are paying $38 for cranberry cocktail, $29 for Cheez Whiz, and a whopping $77 for a bag of breaded chicken.

Arctic Bay-based MLA Ron Elliott said "prices have skyrocketed since the federal government changed its northern food subsidy program in the past year."

The story is on the CBC website if you would like to read it:
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/north/story...od-prices.html

Regards,
Steve MacLellan
Old February 14, 2011, 07:57 PM
Administrator

Default Although OJ is down only 1 % according to USDA...the FL grower's association

is bracing for a huge spike in prices.

The "net effect" of the Winter won't be known until June, by then, many "insiders" are saying OJ is about to become a "luxury"....although, Brazil is geared up for record exports of OJ, orange juice concentrate...

It is a slow creep, but it is steady, like the gas prices are slooowly going back up...

As most of you old timers here know, I'm NOT a survivalist, however, I am a Prepardeness sort of a guy. I encourage all of our American readers to start buying just a tad bit extra food with each trip to the supermarket, and there are plenty of off the shelf types with long shelf lives too...many things like rice and potatoes have "instant" or freeze dried aspects as do many veggies.

NOT doom and gloom....just a little BLISS in case of food runs here in USA.

Something is happening around the world...and since I'm NOT employed by Google, I'm out of the loop of world events...as far as creating or causing them.

Just an opening salvo to SowPubbers...those storm clouds which hit a couple of years ago, haven't gone away, they've been circling and are now forming a "cyclone" type pattern.

Gordon Alexander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve MacLellan View Post
In the arctic town Nunavut, people are paying $38 for cranberry cocktail, $29 for Cheez Whiz, and a whopping $77 for a bag of breaded chicken.

Arctic Bay-based MLA Ron Elliott said "prices have skyrocketed since the federal government changed its northern food subsidy program in the past year."

The story is on the CBC website if you would like to read it:
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/north/story...od-prices.html

Regards,
Steve MacLellan