SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old July 19, 2014, 09:26 PM
Cornell

Default Need some help finding an item here on the forum...

The item gave instructions on how to strike up and continue a conversation when in an awkward situation.

I thought I had either saved it or saved a link to it, but can't find it on the computer, nor can I find the posting that had it here on the forum. I thought it was in one of Glenn's or Dien's posts.

I have a teen nephew who tends to be introverted and thought the content of this would help him learn to make and carry on conversation with others.

If anyone remembers it, I would appreciate pointing me to it.

Thanks in advance.

Cornell
Old July 20, 2014, 08:54 AM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Having a conversation if you tend to be a bit introverted...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornell View Post
The item gave instructions on how to strike up and continue a conversation when in an awkward situation.

I thought I had either saved it or saved a link to it, but can't find it on the computer, nor can I find the posting that had it here on the forum. I thought it was in one of Glenn's or Dien's posts.

I have a teen nephew who tends to be introverted and thought the content of this would help him learn to make and carry on conversation with others.

If anyone remembers it, I would appreciate pointing me to it.

Thanks in advance.
Hi Cornell,

It can be scary for people who are not "good" at conversations... And it's a big advantage for those who can get "good" at it!

I tend to be introverted myself (as are the vast majority of people who study physics, I might add)! (I still do some science consulting work, on top of other things...)

By the way, my fiancee was in a weekend class she's taking, and she was explaining to someone what I was like. She wanted to explain that I was a physicist, "you know, like Sheldon from the Big Bang Theory."

Uh... thanks, honey!

(I'm nothing like Sheldon... No, really...)

I don't think I've found the post you're looking for... Here are a couple which may be relevant. If I find more possible "candidates" I'll let you know!

Analytical personalities... logic and emotion...
www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?p=29978

Telemarketing Can Be an INSULT or a COMPLIMENT
http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?p=27161

- Dien

P.S. I read Dale Carnegie's "How to Win Friends and Influence People" when I was a teenager, and found it helpful. The basic idea as I apply it anyway is to find out what the other person is interested in, and talk about that. It's even better if you can find something you are both interested in (otherwise, conversations can sometimes be a little one-sided and more like an interview)...

Last edited by Dien Rice : July 20, 2014 at 09:27 AM.
Old July 20, 2014, 12:12 PM
Cornell

Default Re: Having a conversation if you tend to be a bit introverted...

Thanks Dien for the effort of looking.

You hit the essence of the item I was wanting to find in that it gives a person a walk through of how to open a conversation in an awkward situation with someone by getting them to talk about themselves, and then keep the conversation going.

The item was from a link in one of the posts. Pretty sure it was from SOW as this is the only forum I monitor anymore. Thought it was in one of Glenn's posts.

Sheldon huh..... that's pretty funny

Thanks again.

Cornell

PS: any chance of getting Gordon to pop in briefly and give us an update on what is going on with him?

Last edited by Cornell : July 20, 2014 at 12:15 PM. Reason: signature removal - no longer applies
Old August 3, 2014, 11:49 PM
Don Alm

Default Re: Need some help finding an item here on the forum...

Hey Cornell...goodto see you're alive & well.

Re: starting conversations;

When I got out of Engineering School at Northwestern U.....I was a "Lab Rat" and terribly shy. My first job was with General Electric in downtown Chgo and....2 wks after starting I went to an office luncheon where a secretary came up to me and told me I had replaced a man who was just about to retire when GE fired him and replaced him with me at half-price.

So....I went home that eve and asked me young wife; Let's see....if I spend the next 30 or so yrs and just before I'm ready to retire and collect my "vested retirement goodies".....they Fire me?

I don't think so. So....I spent the next few mos looking for a business I could start and "write my own checks" and NOT have to worry about anyone paying me.

I saw an ad for a new type of Home Burglar Alarm.....went to see the company and bought a dealership for the North Suburbs of Chgo....started up my biz and read EVERY "How To Sell" book I could find.

I remember my dad telling me: Don't spend too much time trying to figure out all the details. Get a SALE....then....you can figure out all the other stuff.

So....went out every evening and weekend for the next 3 wks giving presentations to home owners. THEN.....after striking out on 18 presentations....a dentist said; "OK Don! Let's do it! When can you start?"

That was a Weds eve. I spent the next 2 days rounding up the stuff needed for the installation AND....hunting for an "installer" who could help me on Sat.

Found one and he met me on the job Sat morn. whlile we we working 3 Neighbors came by and asked to give them and estimate for their homes.

Well ....I sold all 3 and the next Mon morn I walked into the boss's office and gave my 2 wks notice.

Well...my boss....my friends....my parents....my wife's parents ALL tried to dissuade me BUT....I would NOT be stopped. I was bound and determined to get my biz started and make it successful.

So.....with $500 in a new bank account and an attorney friend doing the paperwork I set up a corporation (SECURITRONICS CORP) and went on to have 17 employees.

Then...when I sold it a few yrs later I vowed I would never do 2 things;
1) I'd never again have an employee
and
2) I'd never again wear a TIE (unless for a wedding or funeral)

So....I've seen MANY many people get a great idea and fart around trying to get every detail in place until starting.....when they should have done what my dad told me...."GET A SALE OR 2 FIRST"...."NOTHING MOVES UNTIL SOMETHING IS SOLD!" (Thank again Dad)

If you can't get sales....you don't have a business!

Thanks for reading,

Don Alm
Old August 4, 2014, 03:00 AM
Cornell

Hi Don:

Yupper I am still kicking around...also good to see you are still present and active in this old world. Don't see many posts from the old timers of the forum anymore....sometimes wonder if they have faded out, or are still alive and kicking.

I also have had businesses with 30+ employees and it is much easier and less stressful being captain of the ship with no crew. I now outsource when absolutely needed.

Thanks for posting...I am sure newer members and visitors will find it interesting.

Cornell
Old August 4, 2014, 10:13 AM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Thanks for sharing the wisdom you have shared over the years...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Alm View Post
Hey Cornell...goodto see you're alive & well.

Re: starting conversations;

When I got out of Engineering School at Northwestern U.....I was a "Lab Rat" and terribly shy. My first job was with General Electric in downtown Chgo and....2 wks after starting I went to an office luncheon where a secretary came up to me and told me I had replaced a man who was just about to retire when GE fired him and replaced him with me at half-price.

So....I went home that eve and asked me young wife; Let's see....if I spend the next 30 or so yrs and just before I'm ready to retire and collect my "vested retirement goodies".....they Fire me?

I don't think so. So....I spent the next few mos looking for a business I could start and "write my own checks" and NOT have to worry about anyone paying me.

I saw an ad for a new type of Home Burglar Alarm.....went to see the company and bought a dealership for the North Suburbs of Chgo....started up my biz and read EVERY "How To Sell" book I could find.

I remember my dad telling me: Don't spend too much time trying to figure out all the details. Get a SALE....then....you can figure out all the other stuff.

So....went out every evening and weekend for the next 3 wks giving presentations to home owners. THEN.....after striking out on 18 presentations....a dentist said; "OK Don! Let's do it! When can you start?"

That was a Weds eve. I spent the next 2 days rounding up the stuff needed for the installation AND....hunting for an "installer" who could help me on Sat.

Found one and he met me on the job Sat morn. whlile we we working 3 Neighbors came by and asked to give them and estimate for their homes.

Well ....I sold all 3 and the next Mon morn I walked into the boss's office and gave my 2 wks notice.

Well...my boss....my friends....my parents....my wife's parents ALL tried to dissuade me BUT....I would NOT be stopped. I was bound and determined to get my biz started and make it successful.

So.....with $500 in a new bank account and an attorney friend doing the paperwork I set up a corporation (SECURITRONICS CORP) and went on to have 17 employees.

Then...when I sold it a few yrs later I vowed I would never do 2 things;
1) I'd never again have an employee
and
2) I'd never again wear a TIE (unless for a wedding or funeral)

So....I've seen MANY many people get a great idea and fart around trying to get every detail in place until starting.....when they should have done what my dad told me...."GET A SALE OR 2 FIRST"...."NOTHING MOVES UNTIL SOMETHING IS SOLD!" (Thank again Dad)

If you can't get sales....you don't have a business!

Thanks for reading,

Don Alm
Thanks, Don!

I may not have ever said it in public (until now), but... As I go through life, every now and then, something happens and I think... I first learned about that from Don Alm.

(Not kidding.)

There's a lot of wisdom in your posts... I for one have benefited a lot from them! So thanks, Don!

Thanks also for the above story... Probably seeing what happened to the predecessor in your job could have been one of the best things that ever happened to you.

In my case, I intend to never, ever be an employee again. I see how others have "suffered" - because, as an employee, you are so dependent on your job, people can control you, harass you, intimidate you, and basicallly beat the life out of you (not physically, but psychologically)...

Now, some people have great jobs, so it doesn't hold true for everyone. But it seems to hold true for a lot of people...

Thank you for helping to shine a light on the doorway to freedom...!

Best wishes,

Dien
Old August 4, 2014, 07:14 PM
Don Alm

Hey Dien.....thanks for the nice words. I've been "Free" my whole life, free in the greatest country in the world.

Free to "get an Idea" and pursue it.

The week of every 4th of July I festoon the front of my house with Banners and Flags and stuff. On the Tuesday before the 4th, a reporter and photog from the local paper came by around noon, as I was fixing some wind damage to the banners.

The reporter said she was writing an article for the 4th and would I answer a few questions about what the Flag means to me and allow my photo to be taken.

I replied, "Sure! Ya got a few hours?"

Well....I managed to fill up a few sheets of her notepad and.....waddya know, I pick up the paper on the 4th and guess who is on the front page?

Yup....little ol' me....with my flag behind me.

I basically told her the Flag means 2 things to me; Freedom and Opportunity

I've had ONE j.o.b. in my life and have gone on to start and help start over 50 enterprises. Successful ones that I then sold or gave to someone who could use a "source of income" without much investment or time to get going.

I'm not selling my Midas Reports anymore (www.midasreports.com) but people can still take a look and see if any "spark their juices".

I especially like to listen to the anonymous phone call I taped from someone who said "I Changed His Life".

Makes me feel good!

Anyways.....I sure don't like the way our Gummit is handling things now. Every once in a while, I get out some old Pres Reagan speeches to remind me of what SHOULD be said by politicians nowadays.

And....I'm gonna find some time this week and give a report on my latest project involving Videos and Residual Income.

Take care,
Don Alm
Old August 5, 2014, 11:02 PM
Onwards and upwards!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Alm View Post
Hey Dien.....thanks for the nice words. I've been "Free" my whole life, free in the greatest country in the world.

Free to "get an Idea" and pursue it.

The week of every 4th of July I festoon the front of my house with Banners and Flags and stuff. On the Tuesday before the 4th, a reporter and photog from the local paper came by around noon, as I was fixing some wind damage to the banners.

The reporter said she was writing an article for the 4th and would I answer a few questions about what the Flag means to me and allow my photo to be taken.

I replied, "Sure! Ya got a few hours?"

Well....I managed to fill up a few sheets of her notepad and.....waddya know, I pick up the paper on the 4th and guess who is on the front page?

Yup....little ol' me....with my flag behind me.

I basically told her the Flag means 2 things to me; Freedom and Opportunity

I've had ONE j.o.b. in my life and have gone on to start and help start over 50 enterprises. Successful ones that I then sold or gave to someone who could use a "source of income" without much investment or time to get going.

I'm not selling my Midas Reports anymore (www.midasreports.com) but people can still take a look and see if any "spark their juices".

I especially like to listen to the anonymous phone call I taped from someone who said "I Changed His Life".

Makes me feel good!

Anyways.....I sure don't like the way our Gummit is handling things now. Every once in a while, I get out some old Pres Reagan speeches to remind me of what SHOULD be said by politicians nowadays.

And....I'm gonna find some time this week and give a report on my latest project involving Videos and Residual Income.

Take care,
Don Alm
Hi Don,

You're a great patriot...!

By the way, I found that photo you're talking about, from your local paper (online version)... (I'm not sure if you'd want me to link to it, but if you were happy for me to do so, I could do so...)

You're right - freedom is vitally important. Without freedom to do what you choose, you don't have much!

Again, thanks for sharing all those great business ideas! I know a LOT of people (including on this forum) have made good money with them...

Best wishes,

Dien
Old August 7, 2014, 01:39 PM

Default How to Strike Up a Conversation in an AWKWARD Situation STRATEGY I

Howdy Cornell,

Hows This for AWKWARD...

I parked my car. Big SUV Pulls in behind me.

Huge woman starts to get out.

I had a cement curb in front of me and knew I was Blocked in.

So I jumped out of my car.

HELD the ladies door open for her.

SHE had tinted her hair RUST or Gold, was wearing a Gold pantsuit. And her
SUV was painted Rusty Gold.

So I smiled.

Point to her hair, pointed at her outfit and her car.

BIG Double Thumbs up with my Smile.

I said, "Wow. That is so cool. I've never seen Anybody do that."

SHE GLOWED!

Then I took my hat off to show my lack of hair. And said, "Now I am jealous.
I don't have enough hair to dye ANY color."

She laughed.

And started telling me I could buy a mini hair coloring kit.

And
I
Steered
her
out past my car
and she
saw I
was Boxed in.

Shelly INSISTED on going back and moving her SUV
so I could get out if she took longer shopping than I did.

Heh heh heh.

Use the Body Signals to Get What you want.

Thanks,
Glenn Osborn
Millionaire Mastermind Marketing Association

P.S. - With Practice you can Turn Embarrassing situations to your Advantage.

P.P.S. - Here is an Ezine with Details on how to Meet People
by bringing them over to You FIRST and letting them start Talking.

A - Lotto tickets

B - 2.00 bills

http://archive.enchantednlp.com/ezine.php?issueno=2663
Old August 7, 2014, 01:56 PM

Default Flower Power-How to FLIP An Awkward Situation In Your Favor #2

Thanks Cornell,

I hate being ignored.

And

I hate having to wait.

So here I am with Steam coming out of my ears as the Wal-mart clerk
allowed the guy ahead of me to GO BACK INTO the Store Shelves
to SWAP something.

Eeeeek.

I whipped a Folded Red Paper Rose out of my pocket
and Started making a Rose from it WHILE SHE WATCHED.

The Clerk pushed his stuff to the side.

Started ringing up MY Stuff.

And I didn't have to say a single word. She did all the talking. THANKED me
for the rose. And chatted away.

AND
By
doing this
she BROKE
the Cash Register.

She and I moved to an Empty cash register nearby. The manager came. The machine was all messed up. Soon 3 or 4 staffers were struggling with the darn thing.

ME?

I'm laughing inside.

And strolled away whistling.

The goombah ahead of me?

HE HAD TO WAIT until they fixed the original cash register
cuz he was partially rung up there.

VERY SATISFYING.

A little revenge (TOTALLY INVISIBLE) on someone who has NO Empathy or care for inconveniencing others.

Thanks,
Glenn Osborn
Master of Ceremonies at the Big Red Nose New Idea Testing Network

P.S. - You can visit my magician friend who makes Red, pink, yellow, purple napkin roses AND watch his HOW TO FOLD a Rose Video.

I just ordered 150 roses. 3 folded packs.

www.napkinRose.com

Or

Go to YouTube.com where there are dozens of confusing techniques on how to make a paper rose.