SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old June 30, 2008, 10:20 AM
Administrator

Default Spies Wanted. Can you look out your window and see if...

your neck of the woods has anything like this? Read on.

Thanks. I want your opinions. AND, I need information about your neck of the woods. Here's why:

We're laying out the plans for a new business. Working title is Internet Marketing and Job Training Center.

Think The Learning Annex meets New Horizons Computer Training Center meets Internet Marketing Center.

A brick and mortar biz. Small footprint, approx 1800-2500 sq. ft.

We've identified 6 primary profit centers within the business:

1) Resumes Plus. A certified resume service where the job candidate is actually tested on the software and skills they claim to have and work history verification. This benefits both the employer and potential employee.

2) Skills Training. A job candidate will be able to acquire specific skills, for example, MS Excel, on-demand and be tested and certified on this new skill. Employers can get their personnel "classroom" trained when they want, not at the mercy of a "schedule".

3) Interviewing Practice. Job Candidates will be able to rehearse on-camera to strengthen their interviewing skills.

4) Internet Marketing Skill Development. Specific classes will be offered on a regular schedule and also with an ON DEMAND need. These classes will focus on web site development, marketing and e-commerce and all things Internet Marketing related.

5) ON DEMAND CLASSES. This is THE UNIQUE difference that separates IMJTC from other types of training centers. It will be made possible by using our "without walls" program which uses independent contractors to fulfill the demands.

6) Institute for Entrepreneurial Development. There is a large market of people who no longer want to pursue a job, and are looking for Entrepreneurial and Business Start-Up Opportunities. A-to-Z training and guidance and mentoring.

So here is where you come in. We know that there is ONLINE on-demand training available, but we also know that a classroom setting is a faster, quicker and more effective way to get someone trained fast.

The problem is that to get into a classrom, where your questions can be answered by a real live person looking over your shoulder, you have to find the specific class scheduled in your area.

We will offer Live Instructor training ON DEMAND. This is our unique selling proposition.

Can you please tell me in your area;

What the current job market is like?
Are there training centers that deliver Internet Marketing classes?
Can you learn a program or software WHEN you want to?

That's all. It will help us. Also, would your area have a need for this type of business?

Our prototype will set up all the "how-to" instruction for future centers.

Do you have any questions or can you toss some PROBLEMS you may be seeing with our model at me?

I do appreciate your time and attention.

Gordon Jay Alexander

PS. Would YOU be willing to teach a class (on ANYTHING) if one of these centers were in your neck of the woods? Not just on copywriting, but on anything in which you have some expertise.

Last edited by GordonJ : June 30, 2008 at 05:54 PM.
Old June 30, 2008, 12:42 PM
Sandi Bowman

Default Re: Spies Wanted. Can you look out your window and see if...

Current job market in Seaside, OR and area: limping along. Unable to fill basic skills jobs because nobody wants to work at them. Example: room cleaners for the tourist facilities/inns etc, laundry and maintenance workers, people who can do basic computer input/resource use. People use coastal jobs to work a few days, get a paycheck, move on so they can enjoy other areas of the coast. It's no fun for employers.

IM training: available locally through various resources. Some are good and some well...they leave a LOT to be desired. Online and classroom, and one on one training is available but, unless a job requires specific computer skills, people don't bother. Students get it on campus or via satellite, elders don't bother. They tried one class at the senior center, most folks who signed up, didn't finish the class.

On demand is available on a limited basis.

Problem I see here: lack of interest or demand.
Other problem here: they turned all the available housing for low paid workers into condos they couldn't afford so there's no place for workers to live here...and the job market reflects that fact.

Good luck in your endeavours, Gordon.

Sandi Bowman
Old June 30, 2008, 01:49 PM

Hi Gordon,

Here is a 7th profit center for you:

JV with a company that requires talented folks in the topics your center will teach. They pay you per placement.

Pinstrom is one of the bigger pay-per-click management companies in India. They started a "Digital Marketing Institute" some time back where they provide training to people. Their # 1 reason to start the institute is to get good talent that they can hire for their own company... so in essence - people are paying them to get hired.
Old June 30, 2008, 03:46 PM
karunnt

In Vancouver, Canada (The job market is ok here.) a lot of these services are offered by the government, community centers, employment center etc. for free. I think that may also be true in the US.

There is an extensive small business center that the the same thing for people trying to start a new business (ie. incorporation, business plan advice etc.)

Also a lot of those courses (MS Excel) can be taken at a community college given by the same instructors that you intend to hire.

What might be good is:

1) Interviewing practice - I have not seen this offered at all although
2) Marketing yourself on the internet
3) Job search boot camp

There are a lot of books that teach you the 'Process' of getting a new job. And it is a process. But like a book on jogging you get no benefit until you are actually jogging. Reading about it is no help.

So like boot camp maybe a 'Job Camp' where they train you on the process and get you into the mindset of daily networking, calling prospects etc. etc.

After the boot camp you have some momentum to continue the search.
Old June 30, 2008, 05:13 PM
Administrator

Default Thanks Sandi, Ankesh and karunnt, and my response.

Thank you all. First let me explain. We have a good "brain trust". But the same could be said for Ford, GM and even GWB "administration"...

I'm sure the strategic planning teams at Ford, GM etc. didn't see the need to shift gears toward "fuel efficiently" as fast as possible. We sometimes are too close to the project, we can't see the forest for the trees sort of thing. And by posting this up, I'm sure we will uncover some things we didn't know about or think through.

So I do appreciate your responses. Thank you Sandi, your area sounds like it would not be a very good place to open a center. We think some areas of the country are going to have a higher demand for our services than others. Although it does fall to the marketing team to create the demand and the interest. Students and seniors are not in our demographics nor are the basic skills jobs a target market.

It is important for us to clearly identify and market to a specific demographic. If a region or area does not have a reasonable reachable market, this type of center wouldn't fit in.

Ankesh, you said: Their # 1 reason to start the institute is to get good talent that they can hire for their own company... so in essence - people are paying them to get hired.

YES, thanks. We will find talent from the pool of instructors, from the job applicants and from the companies seeking those with specific skills. There are other elements to the Center I haven't mentioned, for a reason.
But this "matching" or even a "temp service" sort of thing is on the chart.

karunnt, Thanks. In 1988 I was a Job Developer/Job Coach for a county agency and I developed a "JOB CLUB". The motto was, Getting a Job is your job. I later developed this "boot camp" into a part of my own business, ResumesPLUS. THANKS for the reminder, and it is a part of the initial service (FRONT END for you marketers) that include a free career assessment administered by professionals in the career placement field.

Personally, a Job Club sounds more fun than a Boot Camp, but it is a good idea thanks.

I'm going to post another post to cover some of things you mentioned and give you our take on those services.

Gordon Jay Alexander

Last edited by GordonJ : June 30, 2008 at 05:54 PM.
Old June 30, 2008, 05:49 PM
Administrator

Default Some thoughts on Non Profits, and Publicly funded "Job Services".

karunnt mentioned this: (emphasis mine)

In Vancouver, Canada (The job market is ok here.) a lot of these services are offered by the government, community centers, employment center etc. for free. I think that may also be true in the US.

There is an extensive small business center that the the same thing for people trying to start a new business (ie. incorporation, business plan advice etc.)

Also a lot of those courses (MS Excel) can be taken at a community college given by the same instructors that you intend to hire.

Thanks karunnt. This is my take, and my opinion, and the research our team has done bears this out.

In Ohio we have "state of the art" JOB CENTERS. They are called ONE STOPS. There is one about two miles from here on Tallmadge Ave. in Akron's North Hill section of town.

It houses FEDS, State and County workers all in the "JOB" arena. It is called the Job Center. It is a fantastic place to go IF:

You are on welfare and being forced to participate in a welfare to work program.

You are a recenlty released from prison "offender". The ex-offender program is top notch (but they still can't get you a job).

You are coming out of rehab, and your addiction is under control, they have special counselors to help you out.

OR if you are an 8 dollar an hour fast food employee who has been fired, they can probably hook you up with another 8 dollar an hour job only an hour's bus ride from your home.

It is NOT such a great place if:

You are a veteran, especially one just returning from Afghanistan or Iraq. The OLD veteran's reps have retired and been replaced with a couple of young women who are not veterans, but they are "qualified" to deal with you.

NOT so good if you have a college education and have been downsized or displaced by outsourcing.

Terrible place to go if you have an MBA or if you had a job that made you 40,000 a year of more. They have absolutely NOTHING there for you (except maybe some contempt).

This is one of the BETTER publicly funded job centers in the country. And bottom line: IT SUCKS.

See, these places are run by a bunch of public (and/or private) employees that are difficult if not impossible to get rid of, and they know it. They are secure in their jobs, even if they don't do them. There is attitude to spare. They are, as a group, a bunch of heartless, selfish and uncaring SOBs you'll ever find. And the administrators are even worse.

They do have ONE major concern and that is to KEEP THIER JOBS, especially if it is any way shape or form is funded by a GRANT. Which leads me into the private NON PROFITS.

Over at the ONE STOP JOB CENTER, you will also find agencies like GOODWILL. They are there because they have rec'd GRANTS for their workforce placement program. The WIA program replaced the old JTPA (which I worked under and with 15 years of social services employment under my belt, I do have a pretty decent idea how they operate).

When you think of Goodwill, you think of people helping people. HA! That may be true in their thrift shops and in the help they offer to the community, but NOT so true when it comes to their GRANT money from the FEDS for the workforce.

They are like all the other NON profits. They begin with good intentions, and as a boutique agency, a new non profit often does fantastic work. Then they get hooked on the drug...

The drug that destroys the good intentions of NON profits is...

GRANT MONEY.

Once they get it, their focus changes. NOW it is about getting the grant again and more of it. It becomes about filling out the right paperwork, and do it correctly, and less and less about actually serving the needs of the people the grant is intended to help.

I've seen it happen over and over and over again. GREAT work started by a small group, often with ONE driving force, with the idea of helping people...and in the beginning they are fantastic.

Then, the thinking goes: IF I could get more money, some GRANT money, then I could help more people.

And there they go down the toilet. Case managers of any type of grant funded agency will tell you about the mountains of paperwork they have to fill out and how much time is spent working on keeping the grant that has been taken away from the clients. I've worked for many wonderful agencies that have gotten hooked on the drug, and today, they are nothing but scams and shell games.

OK, There are some good programs, like The Service Corps of Retired Executives. I called and scheduled an appointment, the first one was 6 weeks off. I showed up and was given paper work to bring back in 3 weeks. I brought back the paperwork and they scheduled me to see a counselor in 5 weeks. I met the counselor, he reviewed my paperwork and referred me to a banker, where I could get a loan for the business IF I put up the collateral. The banker suggested I apply for a SBA loan. Called SBA, set up appointment...repeat the above paragraph.

SURE, there are Gov't programs. Community Programs. FREE programs. Non profit programs. But I tell you this quite sincerely, I'd rather deal with a CAPITALIST (a money grubbing business person) every day of the week before I would want to get dirty with the do gooder NOT for profit agencies.

That is a broad stroke assessment. OF course there are agencies that do great work and people in all agencies that do care. BUT, they are as rare as hen's teeth.

As regarding the Job Center. We don't want to work with the people who are already being served by these Gov't and NON profit agencies, they are well represented (even if they don't get the help they seek).

NO, we're targeting the disappearing middle class of America who are over qualified, over educated and have not been imprisoned, or in rehab or on the most wanted list.

We see that a large group of people have no place to go to get REAL and meaningful services to assist with JOB seeking and/or their desire to start their own business.

We may be wrong, but we see a need for our version of training and LEARNING. Yes, the focus will be on Jobs/Biz-Op...but we'll also have the Leisure/Hobby division also where ON DEMAND personal training will be just as big as the "MONEY" side of the Center.

Gordon J. Alexander

PS. Yes, I can take MS Excel down at Akron U. Or at New Horizons. They have classes scheduled every couple of months...try to get your community college or local computer training center to give you the class ON YOUR SCHEDULE and at an affordable price. There is no good reason a person should have to pay more than 89 dollars for a one day class in Excel. Check out your local providers, see what I mean about getting scheduled and the cost.

Last edited by GordonJ : June 30, 2008 at 06:03 PM.
Old July 1, 2008, 01:29 AM
Phil

Gordon,

Outside of my window they're teaching Kayaking and Seaweed info...

As you know there's a window of opportunity on Webinars, Specialized education and Local classes...

On endless Topics...

I know you've posted on multiple Teaching related subjects and ideas since the start of SowPubs...

Somewhere in the Archives... Some Great reading if you can Find them...
http://www.sowpub.com/forum/archive/index.php?f-3.html

You're talking about a “twist” and a “turn" on these guys and a few other good Learning centre business models...

http://www.learningannex.com/default...ect=pressclips
http://www.learningannex.com/default...s&newci ty=NY
http://www.learningannex.com/

Instead of opening brick and mortar biz. Small footprint, approx 1800-2500 sq. ft...

Why not Hook-up with Existing Specialized retailers and businesses...

Feed off their customer base and Use their space Too.. Through joint ventures, cross promotions...

And Marketing related products and supplies in those particular Niches...

Cafe's, bakeries, banks, book stores, Macdonald's in the basement... etc. etc. are also Great places to tie Teaching and Consulting into...

Lots already offer Classes...

But an Unlimited number of retailers and businesses Don't offer or Market their knowledge into Education related packages...

Economies Don't always come into play if you Focus on Consumer passions and like interests whether online or offline...

On the mention of Resumes Plus and Job Clubs...

An interesting business model to checkout...

Always keep an open mind to Fresh new ideas...
http://www.whototalkto.com/aboutus.html
http://www.whototalkto.com/

Phil
Old July 1, 2008, 09:08 AM
Administrator

Default Mama used to say, the picture don't change...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
Gordon,

Phil

Phil,

Thanks. As always you are amazing. I’d like you to do a class on how you research the Internet, we’ll video it, and have a product to sell in all of our future Centers. I’m responding to your post, the Phil part is in Italics:

Fantastico!! LOCAL specialized classes, each center will have it’s own unique to the area classes.

As you know there's a window of opportunity on Webinars, Specialized education and Local classes...On endless Topics...

We are thinking LOCALLY with a GLOBAL reach. Come learn Chinese from a guy in Peking, right here in Cuyahoga Falls. Why not?

I know you've posted on multiple Teaching related subjects and ideas since the start of SowPubs...Somewhere in the Archives... Some Great reading if you can Find them...
http://www.sowpub.com/forum/archive/index.php?f-3.html

You're talking about a "twist" and a "turn" on these guys and a few other good Learning centre business models...

http://www.learningannex.com/default...ect=pressclips
http://www.learningannex.com/default...s&newci ty=NY
http://www.learningannex.com/

Phil, my mama used to say to us as we stared into the fridge looking for a snack:
The Picture Don’t Change.

Actually, it was more like, "Close that ____ door, the picture don’t change. With a little more volume and emphasis on the expletive. HA!

When I attended the Bill Myers workshop in Arkansas in 2000??? (I think) I revealed my plans for the "school" to a couple of people there. The idea was born in 1993 and it has been a dream of mine to do this for a long time.

One big difference NOW, is that the technology has caught up with the size of the dream. IT CAN BE DONE today.

But you are absolutely right about my posting many times regarding the concept and studying other models.

Instead of opening brick and mortar biz. Small footprint, approx 1800-2500 sq. ft...Why not Hook-up with Existing Specialized retailers and businesses...Feed off their customer base and Use their space Too.. Through joint ventures, cross promotions...And Marketing related products and supplies in those particular Niches...Cafe's, bakeries, banks, book stores, Macdonald's in the basement... etc. etc. are also Great places to tie Teaching and Consulting into...Lots already offer Classes...

Great PHIL. GREAT. I just got an email from a friend who suggested STARBUCKS. It may be the perfect time to approach them on doing a little venture. We’ll start with a coffee tasting class.

But an Unlimited number of retailers and businesses Don't offer or Market their knowledge into Education related packages...

NO they don’t. I think we’ll be able to carve out a little niche in this way too. Now the next point you make is IMPORTANT.

Economies Don't always come into play if you Focus on Consumer passions and like interests whether online or offline...

BINGO
. Here’s where we CREAM the competition. Here’s where the rubber meets the road. The University of Akron has a community and technical college and offers tons of classes, and they often cancel about half of their offerings…because, they can’t meet the number of butts in a seat it takes to cover their overhead.

OVERHEAD. By the community center, high school adult education, training centers…they all have OVERHEAD and must by their very design meet ECONOMIES…us?

Our PROFIT point is ONE. The perfect economy.

ONE person. A class at U. of A. on PowerPoint might cost 225.00 or more and take 6 weeks when they schedule it. We can deliver a better one on one class in a day, at a cost of 189 for ONE person, or for just 89 per person if there are TWO. It is an incentive to "bring someone along" for the class. A business can, in effect, get two for one deal. A single person can get what she needs ON DEMAND, in one day, and pay the "premium" price that still beats the local competition. And, in some cases, we can deliver the class right to her door. We did this at New Horizons Computer Training Center.

When you consider that all the current places have the overhead and expenses, we will cream them.

On the mention of Resumes Plus and Job Clubs...

An interesting business model to checkout...

Always keep an open mind to Fresh new ideas...
http://www.whototalkto.com/aboutus.html
http://www.whototalkto.com/

Thanks Phil. Terrific stuff. Something I knew as a Job Developer and in my own Resume Business…that most of the "better" jobs are only advertised some times because they have to be.

The WORD OF MOUTH technique is where the good jobs are.

Many times a job applicant will send a resume in from an ad in the paper, and that job has already been filled by someone who "heard about through the grapevine"…but some companies, have to fulfill their EOE or whatever obligations by posting it and advertising it.

We can have CENTERS across North America that get the calls BEFORE the ad hits the paper. And offer it to our "members".

Thanks for your great ideas. They are appreciated.
gjabiz
Old July 2, 2008, 02:06 AM
Phil

Default Mama used to say “Starbucks” & a few other things but we Probably didn't Listen...

Gordon,

Make sure you keep us uptodate on all those GJA Money making/investment Opportunities...

I'm always Amazed at How some people can Run endless business projects...

Especially the ones that take a Lot of work...

Some of us like to take the Easy way... And maybe Share a little too much...

Although there are many Good reasons and Benefits down the road for Sharing and Helping others...

Quick Tips on researching and brainstorming ideas besides the News and Media...

Use resources that Do the work for you...

Share and Use this 6 page business model... Applicable to all kinds of businesses & ideas...

Free! Why $0.00 Is the Future of Business
http://www.wired.com/techbiz/it/magazine/16-03/ff_free

Regarding...

Starbucks... Don't forget...

As I posted awhile back...

A Great Finding resource... Again if you keep an open mind to Fresh new ideas...

Social Networking sites are Excellent passion brainstormers...

Coffee Marketing ideas... In case you haven't heard the following about Starbucks...
http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthre...ight=starbucks
http://starbucksgossip.typepad.com/

Just one Quick example...

There's a Huge marketplace for this Specialized Service for the Food services and restaurant industry...

Build a Top Quality service program with a Great recurring income...

With Unlimited contracts using the Outsourcing business model with the right Training program...

Bathroomcleaningonlydotcom...

Bathrooms...
http://mystarbucksidea.force.com/sea...search=+Go%21+

The Bathroom Guys :: Commercial Bathroom Cleaners
http://www.thebathroomguysusa.com/cleaning/default.asp

Phil
Old July 2, 2008, 12:43 PM
Millard Grubb

Gordon,

With someone who has had a performing career for many years and created a 20 week ecourse that covers everything I did in my performing career.... can that info be used in a career center as you suggest?

What about little bitty niche topics?

Millard