SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old August 15, 2014, 03:13 PM
Don Alm

Default My Goodness...what happened here?

Excuse me BUT.....I just checked in to see if there was any interest in the post I made yesterday and...."6 members watching".....????

What happened to the "old" Sowpub where 400 to 500 were checking in?

And....why did Allen Says build up and sell HIS forum for BIG Bananas?

What's the difference? Both Forums started about the same time.

Is there "hope" to build "The Sow" back to where it was?

Maybe not BUT....I'd like some suggestions since I have a LOT of "Money-Making" stuff to share.

Don Alm.....back in the FreY
Old August 15, 2014, 07:09 PM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Re: My Goodness...what happened here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Alm View Post
Excuse me BUT.....I just checked in to see if there was any interest in the post I made yesterday and...."6 members watching".....????

What happened to the "old" Sowpub where 400 to 500 were checking in?

And....why did Allen Says build up and sell HIS forum for BIG Bananas?

What's the difference? Both Forums started about the same time.

Is there "hope" to build "The Sow" back to where it was?

Maybe not BUT....I'd like some suggestions since I have a LOT of "Money-Making" stuff to share.

Don Alm.....back in the FreY
Hi Don,

It's obvious... you didn't post for a while! Everyone follows where Don goes...!

(There's some truth to that... I'd get emails asking about you...)

I had some health troubles with diabetes, so for a long time, I couldn't be as active as I was... Things are much improved now, though I still have occasional issues, but nothing like it was. (I lost a lot of weight - around 55 lbs, or 25 kg - which helped my health immensely.)

By the way, because I know it's a big problem in the general population, here's what I did to lose weight...

1. First, I started eating "low GI" foods only ("GI" stands for "glycemic index"). Low GI foods are those which make your blood sugar rise more slowly, while high GI foods make your blood sugar rise rapidly. I ate these foods for diabetes purposes, but I found there was a side benefit. Low GI foods make you feel full for longer, for the same calories. For example, if you eat white bread (high GI), and you eat the same calories in rye bread (which is usually low GI, especially rye bread with no wheat in it), the rye bread will make you feel full for longer than is the case for white bread. The result is - you'll be less hungry, which means you'll "naturally" end up eating fewer calories! (I believe this is the real "secret" to losing weight without actually going hungry... No real need to suffer if you follow this approach...)

Here's one place you can look up the GI of different foods... http://www.glycemicindex.com . "Low GI" foods are considered to be those with a GI of less than 55.

2. That got me down part of the way. To lose more weight, I started actually counting calories, combined with the above approach. I used the "Food Diary" function at MyFitnessPal http://www.myfitnesspal.com (it's free) to track it. They have a huge database of foods, so it's easy to look up the calories of what you ate, and add it to your diary. They can also calculate how many calories you should be eating, based on your measurements and your weight loss goals... I was shocked at how many calories there are in french fries! (I still eat burgers now, but usually skip the french fries, which actually cuts down on the calories quite a bit...)

Back to the forum... Personally, it is a labor of love. I love how people have been helped here. It will build back up...

(For people who have asked, Gordon's in "semi-retirement" mode nowadays, but last I spoke with him, a couple weeks ago or so, he was doing well...)

Best wishes,

Dien
Old August 15, 2014, 07:42 PM
Onwards and upwards!

Default One more thing...

I'm intending to "revive" the Entrepreneur's Hotsheet, in a slightly different form.

That will bring the numbers back up, too...

Keep an eye out for it...

- Dien
Old August 15, 2014, 11:45 PM
Robert J.

I, for one, am quite happy to see Don "back in the FreY," as he said.

Posting and commenting, and generating interest is how to bring this forum back.

Is it worth Don's effort? What's in it for Don?

I don't know. But I sure hope Don, and others, see the benefit of priming the pump and helping bring this board back to viability.

It is kind of shocking that this board and WF cut their teeth at about the same time. Obviously, the difference is that the WF caters to the pursuit of the online dream, and all the connotations, good and bad, that entails.

SowPub, on the other hand, has always been about "real work." there wasn't much discussed here that held any promise of "just set it up and watch the money roll in."

There was no appeal to that "lazy man's way to wealth." No CPA offers, gimmicks or "miracle software" to help you hit the mother lode.

These ideas - Don's ideas, Dien's, Gordon's, Pete's, Randy's, Skip's - all involved scuffing up the shoe leather a little bit.

What fantastic ideas they were, though!
Old August 16, 2014, 11:48 PM
Don Alm

Yup...you hit it! Sowpub had to do "shoe-leather" and "letting your feet do the walking". WF got into digital and "let your fingers
do the walking"!.....so, because most people are basically "lazy" and deplore making personal calls on prospects....the "masses"
were looking for "easy-peasy" and the PC guys discovered this Huge Market of people waiting for the next "OnLine Dream".....
"buy this software and retire"!

They STILL are!

I just bought a WSO and it "sounded-good". Then I read the author's method of selling, which said, "Go to your restaurant
prospect about an hour before closing. When you pay your bill, tell the owner how great the food was...then start talking about
"the Restaurant Promo"!

HOG-Wash! This guy has NEVER sold ONE restaurant in his life!

Maybe the "answer" for Pub is to start talking about "Digital Money-Makers".

As an example; a few years ago, when QR Codes started getting used by big businesses and were becoming popular with cell
phone users....I got one of my "Hot-Flashes". I had been providing hotels with free "Restaurant Menu Guides" (These were 11
x 17 Scrapbook Binders with 2 laminated pages per restaurant....that contained Photos and Menus for each restaurant)

I got 20 restaurants and 10 hotels to participate in 5 towns. Everyone LOVED these books and I made a nice chunk every year.

One day, a hotel manager told me that many of his guests were carrying Mobile Devices and...could I consider putting QR Codes
in my books. These Codes could be tied into a "Restaurant Directory Website".

"Great Idea" I thought. So....I got a domain (MobiSiteIndex.com).....put my restaurants on it and made a Display that sat on the
Front Desk Counter that said; "Looking for a Place to Eat? Scan this Code"!

My display also had Photos of Food Plates. I charged $5/wk per hotel = $100/wk per restaurant 20 restaurants x $100/wk =
$2,000/wk per town.

Travelers (tourists) have 3 things;
1) Money to spend....2) Hunger....3) a Mobile Device

Restaurants want to get Travelers in and Hotels want to be of Service to their guests. WIN...WIN...WIN!

Now....granted, this program involves contact with Hotels and Restaurant Owners however.....this is Free to the Hotels and
getting the restaurants was a breeze....and, each restaurant got a Home Page and a Page for each menu.

So.....thanks for letting me relate this to you.

Don Alm
Old August 17, 2014, 10:36 AM
sandalwood

Don,

Got to agree with you on some of those WSO's. Not worth a flying ****.

Here's an idea some people can use. I do WSO reviews for those offers BEFORE they come out.

Anyone can go to the sub forum: Warriors looking to hire you and pick and choose from the offerings. I just reviewed 2 WSO's. One involving FIVERR and one showing people how to start an IM business.

Both were excellent and my cost was my time. I don't know if anyone cares to do this but I pick up some great ideas from this source. The FIVERR lady has a neat way of making $100 a day while not tying herself up sweating over 20 five dollar projects each and every day. Her material brought Skip Rosell to mind. The parallel was uncanny. Skip's Etsy book was priceless.

With your brain you could probably turn that info into making $1000 a day.

Anyhoo, just my 2 cents.

Tom
Old August 18, 2014, 02:22 PM
Don Alm

(imho) The MAIN problem I have with "WSO reviews" is....they're just another way for someone to make money touting programs that
that are simply "figments of imagination" and have NOT been actually "worked" by the author/s!

My goodness...some of the WSO authors even admit they only "sold ONE" program.....and most I've found, have NOT sold ONE
.....yet, they put together a Sales Page telling others "How To Make a Bundle" with their WSO.

And....."opportunists" put together "Reviews" to cash in on Affiliate Commissions.

As a long-time "Belly-To-Belly" sales guy.....it is rare I find a "Money-Making" report or program that actually has made "real"
money for it's author.

Thus....."reviews" are a way to make money selling other people's programs.

Don Alm.....Opionated Sales Guy
Old August 18, 2014, 04:11 PM
sandalwood

Talking Re: My Goodness...what happened here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Alm View Post
(imho) The MAIN problem I have with "WSO reviews" is....they're just another way for someone to make money touting programs that
that are simply "figments of imagination" and have NOT been actually "worked" by the author/s!

My goodness...some of the WSO authors even admit they only "sold ONE" program.....and most I've found, have NOT sold ONE
.....yet, they put together a Sales Page telling others "How To Make a Bundle" with their WSO.

And....."opportunists" put together "Reviews" to cash in on Affiliate Commissions.

As a long-time "Belly-To-Belly" sales guy.....it is rare I find a "Money-Making" report or program that actually has made "real"
money for it's author.

Thus....."reviews" are a way to make money selling other people's programs.

Don Alm.....Opionated Sales Guy

Don,

Thanks for the opionated (sic) sales guy response. When I wrote my post I said a person could get a WSO for free by agreeing to write a review. I didn't say that same person, or me, will become an affiliate of the WSO creator. I said you get a WSO you are interested in for free by agreeing to do a review.

I also agreed with you that a lot of those WSOs are worthless. However, that doesn't make ALL of them worthless. The truth is take FIVERR or ETSY. Our former compadre, Skip Rosell, had a program on how to make money from both of those sites. He elected not to do a WSO on either of them but had he, would his stuff been a figment of his imagination and would he have been an opportunist?

The broad brush not only swings forward but backward as well. Maybe next time, you'll swing it one way and stop the stroke action. But, then again, maybe you won't. After all, how else to get a dialogue in hyper-drive, right?

Oh, and I posted a response to your hemp post also. I thought you'd like some more info so you could help us with ways to generate revenue from Mother Nature's bountiful resource. If you do, I promise not to turn it into a WSO