Go to the Main Business Forum page

OT: CERN Collider...cause for concern? [Archive] - Page 5 - SOWPub Small Business Forums

PDA

View Full Version : OT: CERN Collider...cause for concern?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Ankesh
September 7, 2008, 03:58 PM
I wonder what the purpose of Large Hadron Collider (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Large_Hadron_Collider) is.

So, they want to smash a couple of particles together. And?

It May or May Not tell them something about some Big Bang Theory. Yeah, and what of it?

Will it help me put out the trash? Will it wash my car? Do my laundry? Pay my taxes? Stop Alcoholism? Drug addiction?

Thanks Michael.

The purpose is simple: to give work to a gazillion scientists :p

Even I was put off with the $$ spent on the collider. But theoretically at least, the CERN collider could prove the grand unified theory.

It would teach us about other dimensions. One step closer to creating the time travel machine.

It would teach us - as the wikipedia article say - how particles get mass. One step closer to creating gold / oil etc out of thin air.

--

I always used to question about the space missions to Jupiter etc. Whats the use of them at all? Until a friend told me: if we figure out the atmosphere of Jupiter and how it works, figuring Earth's atmosphere is then peanuts. Jupiter has hurricanes that Earth will never ever see.

Figure out the hard problems, and we won't have any easy problems left.

At least theoretically.

Some recent posts on the forum...

Unusual Business Ideas
Interesting, proven, and unusual business ideas
Entrepreneur-Web Internet Resources
Directory of resources for entrepreneurs
Best of Sowpub
Some of the best posts

This is a SOWPub Archive page