Go to the Main Business Forum page

The psychology of money... [Archive] - Page 2 - SOWPub Small Business Forums

PDA

View Full Version : The psychology of money...

Pages : 1 [2] 3

GordonJ
August 14, 2016, 10:44 AM
Many people think they want money, but psychologically, deep down, they hate it...

This is the deeper issue that's holding them back!

There could be many reasons. For some, it relates to popular sayings such as "Money is the root of all evil"...

Nobody wants to be "evil," right?

Then there are those who take the opposite approach. If you have money, it must mean you've been blessed by a Higher Power...

To me, this is just going to the opposite extreme.

I know poor people, I know rich people. There are good and bad people in each category.

Pablo Escobar, the Cocaine king, was a very rich man. Kim Jong-Un, the dictator of North Korea, is also very rich. Both were/are also very evil.

Money in itself is not inherently evil. The actual original saying is "The love of money is the root of all kinds of evil" (1 Timothy 6:10).

As I understand it, you have to keep money in perspective. Don't let money rule over you, to the exclusion of other priorities like family and your health!

On the other hand, you need money to survive, and to support your loved ones. Surely having money to support yourself and your loved ones can't be a bad thing?!

This is a very deep issue... And it is not always an easy issue to deal with!

I'm speaking from experience... If you talked to me as a young man (in my 20s), I would say I had thought processes similar to the ones I'm talking about above... It's taken me a long time to get from there to here.

What you want is a balanced approach. Money is a tool... And just like any other tool, it can be used for good or evil...!

It is not "good" or "evil" in itself...

I just thought I'd throw the issue out there...!

Best wishes,

Dien

Good issue to toss around.

The SQ1 have been posted 16 years, I've had 5 students in that time. I don't teach them to the public, but, they are there for anyone to use or to ignore.

But it may be one of the best guides out there on MONEY. I feel it is hard to have a discussion without first, having definitions.

I'll use the ones from the SQ1, but anyone can add or present their own versions or define money differently, OK?

From S
Q1 Lesson 2 and 2B:

Money is
a medium of exchange
and
a measure of value. These, for me, cover it, but again, feel free to add yours too.

What most smart kids weren't taught in school was the practical math of money. While college bound students learned Geo, Trig, Alg...

I was in the "dummies" class where we learned how to balance a checkbook, read the financials, understand ledgers and bookkeeping. In fact, MY advanced math was "Practical Bookkeeping"...of course I was a lousy student, but I did "get" most of the lessons.

So, while many were learning that x+Y= ????????????

I knew that red was bad.
Black was good.

When it came to money.

Also, what most don't learn is:

MONEY IS A MEDIUM OF EXCHANGE. But, for the majority, they think or falsely believe it is the ONLY one to concern yourself with.

Exchanging value. It is the key. Glenn Osborn has this great thread here on BARTER, with dozens of examples of trading tits for tats.

If you have a larger concept, then it makes seeing ALTERNATIVES to money when you want to EXCHANGE VALUE.

The SQ1 shows how to get money or other things. I haven't had the need to add to it in 20 years. If you see something I've missed, let me know.

http://www.sowpub.com/gordon/financialpicto.gif

See? If we look at exchanges of values, then the love of money, or psychology of bad/good doesn't really come into play.

The biblical references and other religious ideas, usually play money against God, or mammon vs spirit...
Or they embrace the idea it was all made for our pleasure and gain is good.

Looking at money from a different view, as an EXCHANGE...

Then you can see how to get what you want. The WHY you want it, is the psychology part that is different in all of us.

But say a lump of gold is just a rock. That is what it is. The value of that rock is man created, the original "shiny object" of lust.

Nomads were classified as the RICH, by the number of cattle or livestock they had.

Land keepers (ownership is a made up word, and is only determined by one's ability to defend his claim of ownership) built things, and the bigger and badder they were, with what was inside was a general value of any given society. Rich in castles, poor in huts, much like today.

Getting money, isn't that difficult, CHOOSING and deciding what you are willing to GIVE for it, is the real challenge.

GordonJ

Some recent posts on the forum...

Unusual Business Ideas
Interesting, proven, and unusual business ideas
Entrepreneur-Web Internet Resources
Directory of resources for entrepreneurs
Best of Sowpub
Some of the best posts

This is a SOWPub Archive page