SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 13, 2007, 03:50 PM
Don Alm

Default Hey Skip....you could be onto something here

I like to take "existing" ad programs that have been proven to work and "twist" them somewhat to "make them better for ME and MY markets.

I then make up a "Dummy Sample" and GO ONTO THE "FIELD OF BATTLE" where the "War" is for the businessowners bux. I come up with a "pricing schedule" and I can usually tell, within my first 3 calls, whether "I" can sell the program or not...in MY area...and at WHAT price.

ONE of the "reasons why" I post stuff on these Forums is;
"MAYBE someone can ADD to what I'm doing."

Congrats....YOU just did!

Here's what I mean;

One of my past Advertising projects was....
...."placing Info Boards outside Visitor Centers or Chambers of Commerce".
This Board was about 3ft by 4ft with an Area Map in the center...4x6 or 5x7 Ads around the edge and bottom....AND....a "Vandal-Proof" TELEPHONE which could phone advertisers, on the Board....by dialing the 2 digits that appear on each ad.

These Boards got the most action at the times when the Visitor Center or Chamber was closed. The advertisers LOVED the program because the Boards were bringing them business.

Now....which brings me back to the "TV Channel Listing Cards" I've been doing;

"WHAT IF" (I like to use "what ifs" when chomping on ideas)...a Room Guest could phone a Number that would give them info about a LOT of Info about the Town...the Area...Area Attractions...Restaurants....Gift Shops...Real Estate...Car Washes...Car Repair...etc!

This could be set up with a local Voice Mail service where the "Main Number" would be shown on the "TV Listing Card". No special phone or "deal" with the Hotel/Motel....just a phone number that was advertised "In The Room".

Callers would hear a "Menu" like, "Press 22 for Italian Restaurant"...Press 23 for Mexican Food....Press 27 for area attractions....Press 29 for Gift Shop.

Each advertiser would have a 2 minute "recording" explaining their business, what it has, hours, address and phone.

There are now some companies offering "Community Info on the Hotel/Motel TVs".

With the TV Cards "I" produce, I place 3 or 4 local businesses on the back of the Cards and I've found GREAT INTEREST from businesses WANTING to be on MY "TV Cards" to reach TOURISTS.

One "flash" is....why limit exposure to 3 or 4 businesses?....why not use the back of the Cards for an "Ad for the Info Recording"?....showing the MAIN number to call.....Listing the Participating Businesses....with an "Extension Number" for each?

WHALA! COWABUNGA DUDE! I THINK WE MAY HAVE HIT ON SOMETHING HERE!

Some years ago I looked at starting a "Community HOT Line". I found a guy in Texas who had developed a "Voice Mail System"...I could connect a dedicated line in my home and attached his software program. Get Sponsors to participate....run ads for the number and roll with it. Never went ahead with it. Forgot why.

BUT....I'll bet there's software out there now that can handle this...for el-cheapo.

Each Sponsor would be listed on the TV Card....AND...get a 2 Minute "Commercial" about their business.

THIS CAN BE SOLD! I know how HOT, restaurants, realtors, attractions, gift shops and other biznesses are to REACH TOURISTS....especially in "Resort" towns. AND....I'll bet one could get a pretty penny for this.

ONLY ONE PROBLEMO....ADVERTISING THE NUMBER TO THE "IN ROOM GUESTS"!

Would an ad on the TV Card...."be enough"....or would there have to be "something else" in the room...explaining the benefit of Calling the Number?

The "Key" is...."Getting Tourists to CALL THE NUMBER"!

And...even if one had to pay the Hotel/Motel....say....$X per room per month...if one was making $X plus $10 per room per month....it'd be worth it.

There's a co in New Jersey that places "TV Kiosks" in the Lobby of Hotels/Motels. These TV Kiosks have "Touch-Screens" where people can "Touch" the screen to see a commercial about local businesses. Don't know what they charge advertisers or what they pay the hotel/motel (if anything) but with a little googleing, one could probably find out.

VERY INTERESTING!

Thanks Skip.....Don Alm