SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old February 16, 2007, 08:36 PM
Don Alm

Default The AWESOME POWER of...."WORDS"!

I thought I'd drop a note about something I experienced today. I just came from a Catered Lunch at the finest Private Room in my town. And, the following is why this special lunch was for ME;

An ol' buddy of mine decided last January (06) to give he and his wifee something to do, in their retirement years. He "retired" at the ripe "old" age of 59 (he built an insurance biz from nothing to a few millyun a year) and....they TRULY ENJOYED going to garage and estate sales and "buying stuff" (that's how I met him many moons ago)

He's got all the money he'll ever need (for HIS lifestyle) AND...he can go to Home Depot or Lowe's and pay FULL RETAIL for anything.

Who knows....., BUT....the next time YOU are at a "garage" sale or "yard" sale or "estate" sale....ask YERSELF.....ONE question;

"WHY AM I HERE?" WHY am I spending MY TIME looking over THIS "Stuff"?

"Maybe because, "You like to get a "Deal!" or ..."You don't like paying FULL retail!"... or...."You enjoy HUNTING for bargains! It's like a Treasure Hunt!"

(Maybe IT comes from his upbringing where his folks had just enough to feed, clothe and house he and his brothers and sisters)

This latter reason was (I think) why my buddy spent almost every weekend, WITH his wifee, hitting ALL the "sales" in the area. "IT'S" part of HIS makeup, part of who HE is. As a teenager, his parents would take him on "garage and yard sales and they would get EXCITED when they found some REAL bargains.

So.....THESE "weekend hunts for treasure" became....part if HIS makeup! They were VERY ENJOYFUL for him!

So, years later, when he "grew up" and became "FINANCIALLY FREE"....he chose to look into doing something with his TIME....that "gave HIM pleasure and enjoyment".

Which was..."Hunting for"...."bargains"!

So....when he chose to "retire" at the ripe ol' age of 59...with a few mill in da bank...instead of sittin' roun' da house an' watching CSI or Law and Order reruns....he decided to.....

OPEN A "SECOND HAND STORE"!....selling "Collectibles, Antiques and Second Hand" items.

So.....when he first told me he was "thinking" about opening a "2nd Hand Store" or "Resale Shop"....I advised him to..."Visit the Garage, Yard and Estate Sales" at around 3pm on Sat and offer the sellers "50 bux fer everything remaining"....and negotiate up to $100.

This piece of "advice" resulted in me becoming an "assistant MOVER" guy...to help MOVE the stuff he bought, into his pickup and into his storage unit (that was now becoming a HUGE UNIT!)

So....he and his wifee opened their "Used Stuff Shoppe"....which allowed him to do what HE wanted to do, which was to "FIND the stuff"....and allowed his wifee to do what SHE wanted to do which was to "SELL the stuff".

HOWEVER....after 11 months...because of a number of reasons....bad location (in the lower class, South end of town...where the rent was cheap) he called me and told me he was going to "Hang It Up" because of very little TRAFFIC!

And...you folks with websites know about "Traffic".

So....on the first of December (last year, 06) I looked at the front of his store and saw lots of words like;
"Antiques, Collectibles, Resale & Used Items"!

And, something struck me from an experience I had in my youth in Chicago. One of my high school buddie's dads had a similar store....and I remember that by ADDING....TWO WORDS....in a HUGE banner across the front of his store....brought in LOTS of business.

Those 2 words were;

"LIQUIDATION MERCHANDISE!"

Wow! I remember my buddie's dad telling me...."those 2 words were making him a small fortune"!....because it set a (his words) "Mental Image in THEIR minds of "getting a DEAL"!

So...I told my Roseburg pal to place a banner across the front of his store which said; "LIQUIDATION MERCHANDISE".

I have just returned from a CATERED LUNCH (Steak, Lobster, Cherries Royale and Bananas Flambe (my 2 fave desserts) ....provided to MY wifee and me by my buddy in the best room in our town)

Since placing the HUGE BANNER...with the WORDS....
"LIQUIDATION MERCHANDISE"....his business has BOOMED.

People are flocking in! Just those TWO WORDS on the Banner and in all his ads have made a HUGE difference.

Consumers are looking for "deals" and the 2 words;
"LIQUIDATION MERCHANDISE!" can make the difference in success or failure. SO...NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE AWESOME POWER OF "WORDS"!

And....the REASON for my taking the TIME to make this post today is simply;

I TRULY ENJOY.......relating, "Marketing Successes" I discover.....(even though I have some "detractors" here...and fullly expect THEM to make their "customary connotations and remarks")

Thus....after the above "dissertation"....the thought I'd like to leave viewers with is.....KNOW and REALIZE.....that the "WORDS" you use IN or AROUND your business can make the difference between Success or Failure!

It's coming up with the "RIGHT WORDS" than can make the difference!

Just TWO WORDS....made the difference here!

Thanks for reading,

Don Alm