SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old February 28, 2007, 01:39 PM
DBeavers

Default Re: It's becoming a...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
It's becoming a necessity to have your own business/stream(s) of income on the side these days (at least in the US.)

I sometimes read the discussions on the big job boards and I consistantly see people with many years of experience (20+) that are out of work for months or even years. ..edited... Age discrimination is alive and well in the States!

One NEEDS to take responsiblity for their own financial matters/future and needs to learn the skills necessary to survive and not become a "fallout" and run the risk of loosing it all.

I really believe it's become a necessity to build income streams, aside from a job, in today's business climate. I just can't see any other way, but if someone can show a different way, be my guest.

Tony

I agree with you Tony. I saw my options change drastically 23 years ago when my boss and another senior person were let go, with only a pittance of compensation compared to the long years they had put in. I made up my mind then that I didn't want to ever worry about a pink slip, pay cut, or other loss of a job due to some boss or supervisor wanting to give my position to someone else.

I looked at the local job market for sales, knew I didn't want to sell cars or insurance, and opted to expand on my part-time work in my home-based business, in order to be able to quit my job and go full-time.

In 1987, I gave notice to Boeing, and went full-time self employed. If I hadn't made that choice back then, I wouldn't be where I am today, with sales volume in the Top 2% of all sales people with the company I sell for. My contract is as an Independent Agent, so I have more control over my work, hours, and income, than I ever could as an employee.

I also don't face a mandatory retirement age, so I can continue in my business until my 97th birthday if I choose (and live that long).

I now spend at least part of my time, helping others start their own home-based dealership, giving them the possibility of quitting their job in the future, or at least having a back-up if their job drops them instead.

Dennis Bevers
BASSCO, Inc.