SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 9, 2007, 03:56 AM
Duane Adolph

Default Re: Excellent 7 Steps! How's This Twist? A Note On Knockoffs

Hi Michael,

Michael W's 7 steps are so clear, simple and powerful aren't they ?

And Yes as was already stated by Michael W. the 7 steps can be tweaked for Ebay. But you MUST take a better business approach than the other players in the market. Again Michael W.'s reply goes into the How to.

A real Example:

I believe Internet Guru Tom Bell found a hot selling product on ebay. The product was those cellphone booster things that were HOT waaaaay back.

He found this top seller on ebay. And DID exactly what Michael W stated in his reply to you. Which was OUTSOLD everybody. He went off of ebay as well and used the CPA networks to drive traffic to his offer. He made millions.

It STARTED with EBAY pointing him to the Hot market.

O.K all that said let's relook at those 7 steps for a second.

=============
1. Research product lines (within the specific "selling sector") that interest you.
2. Find out what their top selling product is.
3. Become a reseller of that product.
4. Build a website specifically around that product.
5. Gain some sales and experience selling that product-- forget about recruiting. Focus on starting your businesses, fine tuning your infrastructure and building a customer list.
6. Research how to "knock-off" that top-selling product.
7. Start selling your own product.
==============

One critical thing I would look at BEFORE becoming a reseller is the TOTAL SALES and the TOTAL # of Competitors in the marketplace on ebay.

Basically I wanna know how BIG this Pie really is and how many other people want a piece of it. Let's just keep the focus on Ebay for a second.

For Example:

I had found a Hot Niche On Ebay.

"Hot" meaning there was a high volume of sales and also a high closing ratio.

Instead of just selling the TOP SELLING product in that arena like everyone else I found a COMPLIMENTARY product which was NOT being offered to the market. My product sold like gangbusters (always wanted write that :-> ).

I was able to BEAT the total sales of the TOP Selling product in this niche.
YEEAH for me!

BUT! Big BUT!

It only sold for a little while, because the competition came in FAST and FURIOUS and basically just copied my product. My slice of the pie got THIN really quickly.

It was a fun little experiment I was doing and learned a lot.

So bringing this back to the 7 steps. Specifically step #3 becoming a reseller.

Just be aware that IF you do become a reseller and you ONLY Market on Ebay, the results may not necessarily be as juicy as the original player that you were spying on because you are now sharing the same pie.

So If becoming a reseller, your gameplan should be to expand the Marketing Universe and you DON't have to leave ebay.

Here's a tip: When looking at your competitors look specifically at the Different Categories they advertise in AND the number of visitors they get.
You will see a MULTITUDE of traffic options AND you will also see that most players will only market in ONE category.

Duane Adolph

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelRoss View Post
Michael,

Thanks for those 7 Steps. That's Ingenius in its simplicity. Excellent!!

I'm wondering - and Duane, might like to chime in on this - how you'd go to Combine a couple of things.

The 7 steps work for a MLM product. That's cool (more than cool, but you know what I mean). How could they go applied to Top Sellers found on ebay?

For example: Following another breadcrumb trail and seeing what Other Items a seller has, I found a seller who is doing a nice Little business selling... Retractable Clotheslines - 6 line and 4 line.

His Completed show 8 listings with 5 sales and a gross of $368 for the last 10 days. (This is Australia ebay.)

So using the 7 Steps you'd Source a Retractable Clothesline, become a reseller and build a website specifically around that one product. And then, instead of competing on ebay - which you could do in addition - is run some classified ads offering these clotheslines via mailorder - buy over the phone or visit the website.

RETRACTABLE CLOTHESLINES. 4 or 6 line. Cheap cheap.
Visit www.retractableclotheslines.com or call 555-5555

(BTW, the above domain is for sale for $1,650. Looks like a DomainName Speculator bought it.)

A Domain bought through Doteasy http://www.doteasy.com would cost you $25 for the name and a year's hosting!. No CGI, but if you accept Paypal and use an outside free email bot like maybe FreeAutoBot http://freeautobot.com then you don't need CGI, right?

I found a guy on Ebay who sells Makita parts - drills without batteries, batteries without drills, chargers by themselves and so on. If you combine the items - drill, two batteries and a charger - so they make the same as the Kit you get from a harddware store, you are better off buying from the hardware store. But you cannot buy the separate items from most hardware stores.

His last 50 feedbacks - which covers around 8 to 10 days of sales - shows a gross of over $13,000 in sales. I don't know the markup on those items. But even if all he got was 20% he's doing $2,600 net for those sales. Probably closer to $4,000. Interesting. Parts Supplies.

Anyway. Mike... Duane... any Thoughts on that Twist.

Also, I'm thinking, a MLM that CURES a problem would be a Better Seller than a MLM Preventative. Like - and I'm spitball'n as I don't know if MLM sells these - a Cure for Tinea or would sell better than Tinea Prevention Cream.

Your thoughts on that?

A note about getting MLM Product KnockOffs made - most MLMs are Consumable. So if you are getting them made OS, make sure the ingredients used can be brought into your country without too much hassle. This is especially true with anything with a chemical in it - and has CAS Number - and Herbs.

E.g. Australia has some CAS Numbers which can be brought in in unrestricted amounts. Others can only be brought in in X Tonnes (at maybe a tenth of a gram or less per item, that still allows a lot of idividual SKUs). Others need a permit to bring in. And some are outright banned. You will NOT be allowed to bring an item in unless all CAS numbers have been checked against the NICNAS register.

With herbs, to stop Blight, no Oranges or products with Orange peel can be brought in - unless treated upon arrival by Customs. Who will charge $52.50 (I think the current fee is) per treatment - regardless of the size to be treated (one small packet of herbs or a whole pallet load).

So check the ingrediets list Before you have something made OS and then brought into the country. Otherwise you could be in for a nasty $$$ surprise cost which might blow your $ per SKU out of the Profitability Zone.

Michael Ross