SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 4, 2007, 08:31 AM
Administrator

Default I spoke with Harvey on Thursday, here is what's UP...

Hi Pickle,

Actually he has some copies in his warehouse, but he considers that "yesterday's" news and is at this point in time, probably, not willing to "bother" with them. He thinks of that stuff as being "historical".

Consider the TOLL position...you and I may think it's the greatest concept ever in building a business...

BUT, Harvey considers this to be the first INCH in a mile of information about making money and keeping it.

As far as there being a 5th gear...YES. And Harvey might say that it is more like Ninth or Tenth gear today.

I paid almost 600 bux for his old course, worth 1000 times that...and he had a publishing concern and employees...and he woke up one day and didn't want to be "bogged down". So through attrition and by not marketing his information products he was able to shut down an area of his business (although it was profitable) that had the "bog down" factor.

Anyone with employees knows that feeling.

Consider his friend Ben Suarez, with a 175,000 square foot facility and HUNDREDS of employees...and even though SCI is a 100 million dollar a year company, there is a lot of overhead...

Now I don't know, so this is just an example...but in Ben's book, 7 Steps to Freedom II there is a formula for how many employees a company needs (a remote direct marketing company that is) as it grows.

Using that formula it would not be hard to imagine that Ben personally pulls 6 or 7 million dollars a year out of the company, and of course he builds the equity and value of the business he owns. So we might be able to guess that most owners of a 100 million dollar company are making 4 to 10 million a year after paying all those employees.

Now mileage varies, of course.

But SCI is a "corporate" model. With hundreds of employees, buildings, overhead you and I could retire on...

And Harvey maintains (today, after ridding himself of employees and other headaches) more of a family "Entrepreneur" type business.

Harvey, his wife and daughter are the business. He has upwards of 150 customers. SCI has millions of customers.

3 people, and although this is only as example, Harvey and family are able to generate a substantial income, more than most 100 million dollar company owners by doing things his way.

IS the 4th gear still a part of his operation...I would say yes, and I think he might say something like "that is so yesterday, I'm involved in something much better than that now"...

What exactly is his 5th, 6th, and 7th gears? When I find out (and with his permission of course) I'll be the first person to share that information.

I do know that patents, licensing and INTERNATIONAL TOLL positions still play a large part in his company.

Maybe I'll finally be able to persuade Harvey to do a little teleconference and give us Harvey Brody wannabes a peek into what he is doing now.

At 75 years he is in great health, LOVES what he does, fights off the gurus with a stick (they want to BOG him down) and he doesn't suffer fools.

IF there are others who would like to know what Harvey is up to these days...start banging the drum slowly...here's as good a place as any...and maybe to stop the din of noise we're sending in his direction...

he'll give us a little sample and help in pursuing our goals.

Thanks for asking pickle...I'll make sure Harvey knows that there are still people out here who remember him (I should clairfy that, many of us lesser knowns...since he does business with 150 of the biggest names in the world, you know, names like Sears, Wal-Mart, Home Depot, etc. who KNOW HB and have never lost track of what he is doing).

There have been a few imitators, but I truly believe the man is a ONE of a kind...and I still have hope I can persuade him to REappear on the "help us out" stage without getting 'BOGGED' DOWN.

Gordon Jay Alexander

PS. Pickle, what would you want/need to see about the 4th and 5th gears? Examples? Current uses? What would be the most helpful to you as a Harvey Brody "student".

Last edited by GordonJ : August 4, 2007 at 08:45 AM.