SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 13, 2008, 06:37 PM
dubbsceo

Smile Hi, I guess I'm the "newbie"

Hi All,

I found this site while searching and posting at other business forums. I am really itching to be totally self employed again. I work at a major bank and have been there for a year. I can feel myself just withering sitting at a computer all day. I have GOT to be self employed again! I do a few residential cleaning jobs and am growing. I have Fridays off at the bank . When my ?Fridays are filled I will start taking Thursdays off (vaca days accumulated) When thursdays are filled I will be making in 2 days what I make all week at the bank. a No brainer ya know?

Where to start? Got married, had 3 beautiful babies and was a licensed hairdresser. My passion, wanted to go to Hollywood and work on the stars. Got an offer from a client that cleaned houses to take some of her customers as she had some health issues. In the meantime I was going through some marital problems and eventually a divorce. So my income from cosmetology wasn't enough. It takes a good 5 yrs to become established in most markets and being a single Mom, I needed 2 incomes anyway. I've always done to things at a time.

Turns out I had a knack for cleaning professionally and acquired more custoners and eventually branched out into commercial cleaning. Then NY decided to do the welfare to work thing and companies jumped on that rather than outsourcing to me.
So I bought a bar.... I loved it, but again the liquor authority had their hands so deep in our pockets it just wasnt worth it, not to mention the dwi laws and insurance rates.

While doing all this I also put myself through 4 yrs of college. My associates is in computer science, bachelors in business management.

Did furniture sales, customer service, and now I'm really itching to beef up my cleaning service again, help my fiance start his own sealcoating business, and find an internet business for myself. That will make me blossom... : ) I've done some wholesaling with SMC and investigated EBay. I KNOW there's something out there for me and I WILL find it.

So I will read, and study, and network, and pick your brains.

I have an opportunity to buy an established, classy, candle website that seems to be doing well. I also have a line on some pure mineral cometics that will let me put my own company name on them. I want to do a home party marketing approach with ,but am concerned about the liability of having my own label etc. Need to get a good attorney.

But I'm excited! I know I can do it, I just dont want to learn the hard way, well not in all areas. We all learn something new everyday and I'm looking to do that here and perhaps I can help someone else in turn. I'm also open to investigating new ideas/opportunities.

Last edited by dubbsceo : April 13, 2008 at 06:49 PM.