SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 27, 2008, 03:35 PM
Rod Carr

Default Re: 'Last lecture' professor dies of cancer... Definitely inspirational...

Phil,

Thank you. Attitude can certainly help in any given situation.

But, related to what Michael and his family went through...

Before my father was released from the hospital after receiving angioplasty following a heart attack, his doctor briefly mentioned to my mom they found a small density in one lung.

When asked about it, he said the heart was the only issue of concern right now and to come back in six months for a checkup.

Six months later the heart was fine, but the 'cancer' had spread to both lungs and was diagnosed as inoperable and terminal.

It was a slower growing, non-small cell 'non-smokers' lung cancer and we followed the only suggested course of treatment - experimental chemotherapy.

Whether it had any impact on the growth of the tumors in his lungs, nobody really knows.

However, after enduring the frequent hell of this treatment for several years, and in a severely weakened state, he also began having a horrible time swallowing any food.

After complaining about this to his doctor, the tests revealed esophogal cancer. Radiation treatment followed, and not long after that the lining of his esophogus ruptured, and was listed as the cause of death.

Early on, surgery to remove part to all of one lung was an option. But either the files got lost in the shuffle and/or the doctor blew it. Whatever, by the time it had spread to both lungs it was too late.

While cancer of the esophogus is one of, if not the fastest growing cancer in men over 40, it is also 100% treatable if detected early. But, by the time he was tested for it, it was also too late.

So allow me to fire a warning shot regarding the dangers of esophogal cancer. If you have any type of persistent acid reflux, heartburn, etc., go in and get your esophogus checked out.

It is considered a fairly routine procedure to find and remove a growth in the esophogus if they catch it early. However, with current conventional treatment it is terminal if they don't.

And one of the best ways to prevent it is to simply elevate your head about one inch above your feet in bed to prevent stomach acid from backing up into the esophogus.

Unfortunately, I will be making another trip back in to see the doctors with my mom tomorrow. Last week they found a brain tumor and will give us the test results and their prognosis.

Following my dads death, I have no idea what we will be up against this time around.

But I appreciate your comments, Michael. Sharing the ordeal your family went through with your father's tragic passing could help myself and others.

Especially since the primary symptoms (memory loss) appeared after my mom likely became dehydrated while playing golf on a recent warm day.

I will definately be looking into alternatives and welcome any helpful information.

Rod