SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old December 4, 2013, 12:50 AM
Paul Wilson

Default Re: Poll: Who is making some $$$

Long post warning...

Hi everyone,

It has taken me a long time to press "send" on this post, well they say confession is good for the soul ;-). This is not a negative post just factual.

You know how the gurus like to say they've been online since forever. So have I. The only difference is that I've never been able to make it work for me.

Sometimes I feel like a reverse Midas, you know, the guy who everything he touched turned to gold. For me it feels like everything I touch turns to sh*t.

I work a 9-5, have done for a long while now and get paid well. Only problem is I royally screwed my finances so well that I've been paying off debt for the last 3 years and still have another 5 to go. So money is pretty tight, hence the need to find something workable on line.

I have done many different things to earn a extra crust but usually ended up losing out and paying though the nose for an expensive course that didn't work for me. I've built more sites than I care to remember, none of them profitable, until now.

Mostwantedwatches.com is a site I build earlier this year as a sort of "sleeper" site, you know, set it and forget it. I checked the stats recently and over the last 3 months it has gotten around 1500 fresh hits a month and has, drum roll please, generated around $60 (45 UK pounds) from eBay clicks. I've got adsense on there as well but that has brought in 0 buxs.

So 2 things, firstly thanks to all of you who have helped me by answering questions or giving free advice and in one case providing me with info that you have sold for real money in the past. My respect to you.

Secondly, I want to develop this site and see how far I can get with it. So again I'd like the Sowpub community's help and advice.

- There aren't really any decent affiliate products out there to promote in the wristwatch niche, mainly product (actual watches) referrals like eBay. So I can't see affiliate products as a way forwards.

- I don't have connections to access free watches for reviews or the spare cash to buy more watches to review. I'm not a watch aficionado, just have a mild interest in them. So I think the expert route is out.

- Watch forums have been running for years and are well established, so I don't think a membership site or new forum would work.

- I could work on building a mailing list but what would I promote?

As you can see, I've reached a sort of impasse and need your collective brain power to help me push this forwards.

So how can I move this site forward? Any and all ideas welcome, the more the better.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Best regards,

Paul.

PS: if anyone needs a beta tester or someone to bounce ideas off or any help, please let me know. I'd be happy to assist.