SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old February 10, 2015, 02:50 PM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Profits from photos of people on vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Alm View Post
So.....again...thanks for letting me bring some of "my stuff"....."Off My Memory Hooks".
Thanks Don... Those are some great ideas! I like how everything is integrated with a website... It would make things very easy (once it's set up), and the website can do all the selling!

You reminded me of a few photography-based businesses I've come across in the past, in "touristy" areas in particular...

I also remember wandering down Waikiki beach, this was around 10 years ago, and there was a man with a parrot. He would approach people and encourage them to have a photo taken with the parrot on their shoulder. What a great souvenir of Wakiki - a photo of you with a parrot on your shoulder! Of course, you had to pay for the photos he took. I watched him for a while, and he seemed quite popular...

Another time, also around a decade ago, I did an advanced scuba diving course (3 full days, if I remember right), at the Great Barrier Reef, in Australia. Along with our group, there was a photographer hanging around, taking underwater photos of everyone while we were diving as part of the course. Lo and behold, on the last night, what was available for purchase? Of course, you could purchase photos of yourself, scuba diving, while you were on the course! It would have been some nice extra income, I'm sure, for the people running the course!

Lastly, again a while ago (I used to be more adventurous than I am now!), I went white water rafting (as part of a "tour"), this was also in northern Australia, near a well-known tourist town called Cairns (it's a common "starting point" to see the Great Barrier Reef). Well, as a glasses wearer, I couldn't wear my glasses, so it was fun, except that everything was blurry! At the end of the tour... Yes, photos were available! I bought the photos this time, because I didn't know when I would go white water rafting again, since it's a lot less fun, I imagine, when all you see is a big blur... Also, in the photos, I could see the scenery I missed out on...!

The photos were presented in a nice booklet...

I think what this shows is that, any "fun" touristy type of activity, can be "enhanced" with photos... and selling the photos can "enhance" the profits, too!

None of the guys above sold the photos through a website, but integrating it with a website (as Don has talked about) I think is the "smarter" way to do it... Also, if people at first decide not to buy, then "change their mind" later, they can still go to the website later to buy the photos.

Best wishes,

Dien