SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old November 9, 2022, 10:02 AM
Administrator

Default My job as a manager of a storage facility.

Thanks Dien.

I had a cushy job as a manager of a brand new storage facility; at the time it was top line, state of the art, in an upscale area. A year later, the unpaid units went on the auction block, you wouldn't believe what people abandoned.

No turtles, pythons or pets, yet a lot of stuff. I was and remain amazed at what people hold onto until they just walk away from it.

A lot of storage is from events; divorce, deaths, moving, etc. But being a hoarder, pack rat is an American tradition, and without it, Marie Kondo wouldn't have even sold a book. But her concept, now a popular expression, lets KONDO that thing...means sending it down the road.

Anyhow, to address the STORED VALUE issue, many of us have.

What has helped me is bits and pieces of time REGULARLY, and RELIGIOUSLY adhered to. Take the second hour of my work day.

15 minutes to write thoughts of the day. 10 to review past ones. 10 to continue a short time project, 15 on long, 10 to fiddle fart on any of them.

Solid, everyday, for decades. A routine. Now maybe you or most don't have an hour. But I have made that sacrosanct, sacred, habitual. It has allowed me to get a lot of things done.

By taking a longer view, a longer time and allowing ACCUMULATION. See, that is why we need all those extra storage spaces, we ACCUMULATE so much stuff.

I habitually reduce this pile on a daily basis. So, for example, I may have several Word (Open Office) docs open during this work hour, and pick up the train of thought because I left right in the middle of one.

So, just by reading the last paragraph, I can easily just start from there...and a 50 page report, gets done in two months by 10 min. a day.

What happens, is and I think maybe you can see this...we tend to let the pile get big, and then it is overwhelming.

But spend 10 min a day on your algorithms, and by next year, you have your product. What most will do, is put it off until they think they have time to attack with all their time and attention...and years go by.

The year is going to go by anyhow, remember sitting at the Sheraton? YIKERS, but 10 minutes a day, every day, EVERY day, over a 20 year period and one has more work done than most will ever do in a lifetime.

I am a big believer in small increments of time, USED efficiently, and purposefully rather than trying to clear the busy plate off and trying to tackle something when time allows (it never does).

Likewise, in the Sprint to Freedom one gets to that 1k a week level by small increments of dollars kept in circulation.

I have scores of notebooks, most will never see the light of day, but all of them filled not because I went to Walden Pond and wrote non stop for a year...but because I faithfully committed to that hour a day of writing in small bursts, on many things at the same time. It is how I've been able to create over 100 (so far) small reports and HOTSHEETS.

Now recently, that hour has been tough to do, energy and health...but even through my covid, I've been pretty faithful.

SMALL amounts of time ACCUMULATED = Productivity

SMALL amounts of $$ ACCUMULATED = Profits and Prosperity

Gordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dien Rice View Post
Hi Gordon,

Errr... guilty as charged...

My wife and I saw an episode of the reality TV show "Hoarders" and wondered...

Why are they making a documentary about our life?

(Okay... Just joking... We're not that bad!)

Meanwhile, on this topic...

A family finally got around to cleaning their jam-packed storage room...

...and found a pet tortoise that had been missing since 1982!

(And yes, it was still alive... See the link below!)

I guess the lesson is...

"Circulation" beats "Reserve" (or "Storage")... also because you might find your missing pet tortoise...

I think for some of us, there is the "emotional attachment"...

I need to do some "Marie Kondo" questioning... Like holding up an old bicycle, and asking... "Does it spark joy?"

Anyway... Big topic... and an important one!

Other "stored value" I have is...

- My information products - both those I created myself, and also those I have the rights for...

- My knowhow... That is another type of "stored value"... It's good to "release it" into the wild, where it can do some others some good...

- In my case, I have some algorithms I developed, which I must develop into a business...

Best wishes!

Dien

P.S. This is the "tortoise" article I referred to earlier...

Family Cleans House, Finds Pet Tortoise Missing Since 1982
https://www.treehugger.com/family-cl...arlier-4858635