SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > Original SOWPub Forum Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Poll: H6gwQ
Poll Options
H6gwQ

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 20, 2002, 12:45 AM
Don Alm

Default Glenn W Turner got me into MLM!

A man named William Penn Patrick started a cosmetics company called Holiday Magic.

It was one of the first MultiLevel Marketing deals.

Here's what happened one evening a long time ago;
One of my AirForce buddies called me at 6pm and told me he was coming by in 30 min to take me to a meeting in downtown Chicago. He told me it would be well worth my time...plus...he was driving.

So....Harry drives up at 6:30...and all the way down to the Bismarck Hotel Harry would NOT say anything about what the meeting was about.

So...we park the car...he leads me into the main ballroom of this big hotel. The room is filled with people about my age. I see a few Chicago Bear players and some other celebs...so I think this is some kind of entertainment deal.

Harry tells me to sit down and watch the movie.

The lights darken and on the screen is the actor Jeffrey Hunter. He tells a story about how this man found a defunct cosmetic factory with a huge warehouse of cosmetics.

This man sees all this cosmetic stuff and devises a marketing plan to sell it. It is a few years after Amway started. The man tells this story of how he started with a handful of people and because of the marketing plan...some of the first people into the program are now millionaires.

The movie ends...lights go up and this guy explains the marketing plan of how you can buy a starter kit for $25 and go out and sell cosmetics at a retail price and you can make some money because you buy wholesale. He explains how much you can make as a "retailer"...then...he explains the "distributor" program.

You buy $5,000 worth of wholesale cosmetics and can sell these to consumers or retailers OR...you can get someone else to become a Distributor. When that person pays out $5,000...the company gets $2500 and YOU get $2500. SO...if you bring in 2 people to be Distributors...you have your money back.

NOW...the guy explaining this REALLY starts jumping up and down...and showing what you can make if you bring in 10 people...20...50...100!

ALL our eyes get bigger....our hearts start beating a little faster....excitement is in the air...I could feel it.

The guy then tells us to find the person who brought us to the meeting. I find Harry and he takes me down the hall to a room where he introduces me to Glenn W Turner...Harry's sponsor.

Turner has an expensive suit on and a BIG PINKIE on his little finger and a diamond tie clasp and what look like diamond cufflinks and...he whips out a HUGE wad of bills.

Needless to say...we were impressed...especially when Turner started to speak. He had a cleft palatte and spoke with a nasal twang.

Turner told us the story of how he was a sharecropper as a boy and decided to do something with his life. He found MLM and the rest, he said, was history.

Anyway...I went home and raised the $5,000. I then started getting people in at the wholesale level...and I was making some BIG money until the Govt shut her down as a Pyramid.

Turner called me a few days after Holiday Magic was shut down. He told me he was relocating to Florida and starting a new deal with MINK OIL.

I felt the Govt would soon be on this one too so I passed.

It was VERY exciting for a while. It was the "Chiefs selling Chiefs"...the GREED factor was running rampant.

Turner went to jail and I haven;t followed him...but in those days...the money was flowing like water. we were all making $10,000 to $20,000 A WEEK...until she crashed. What a FUN time.

Thanks for letting me pull this off my memory hook.

Don Alm

Some of my Unique, money-making programs.