SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > Original SOWPub Forum Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old September 23, 2000, 09:10 AM
Julie Jordan Scott

Default Re: I first heard this quote from an old friend....

Good morning, Dien!

(Well at least it is early morning here in Central California).....

This has been one of my mantras in my life. One time I was talking to a new friend, sharing with her my life and she looked at me incredulously and said, "You have had a lot of really tough stuff happen to you!" and I thought, "I have?!"

It had never occurred to me, except to be thankful for it! Even goofy stuff, like for some reason my parents did not fund a car for me when I turned 16 like they did for my two brothers and sister older than me (or my younger brother which happened later!) In fact, I had to pay for my own driving school lessons, even taking the behind the wheel in a driving school car! I always said, "Ahhh, well, its building character!"

I think my mother knew: she always said about me: "Julie, when you set your mind to something, I know its going to happen!" I imagine the scariest thing for her was hearing in retrospect how awful my "post death threat" experiences were. She was visiting this Spring, and I shared with her some of those bleak times and she stood there, stock still...amazed. I suppose the fire flickering deep inside was what held me up and shone forth, though, because just as the quote goes, here I am, stronger than ever!

My father shared with me the history of my Family Name (Jordan). It is a name common to people whose ancestors included Crusaders, which is why it is seen in so many different European languages: Jourdaine, Giordano, the various spellings Jordan, Jordon, etc. The Crusaders carried water with them from the Jordan river to baptize their babies. Thus, the family name Jordan.

While I do not endorse the methods used by the Crusaders, perhaps it is some of their indominantible spirit that lives on in me.

Interesting thought.....thanks for the chance to reflect, Dien!

With Purpose and Passion,

JULIE

5 Passions.com