SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > Original SOWPub Forum Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old September 30, 2000, 01:33 AM
elizabeth aqui-seto

Default Re: Women don't belong on the INTERNET...let's get rid of them.

Gordon, very clever headline. I like it.

>Truth is, we NEED more women on the Internet.

I know that you probably know this. But just in case, I recently came across an aritcle at newsusa.com, excerpts I've cut and pasted. The article was not dated, but I can only assume it was written in 2000. However, I also found another article over the last couple weeks, actually giving the figure of female users at 55%. Unfortunately, I didn't save the article or remember the source.

Women Pass Men on The Internet Wave

"Did you know women now make up the majority of Internet users? It's true - for the first time, women this year accounted for 50 percent of online users, which has them surfing the Internet wave right past men, who make up 49 percent of all users.

The number of women age 55 and over more than doubled to 3 million visitors in the last year. That's significant, when you consider that until now, the Internet has been primarily a male-dominated tool. Now, women online are in proportion with their numbers in the general population, which is 51 percent."

>I find them to be more honest, less full of hype, and a lot of the time deliver much better information than >their male counterparts.

Again I have to agree and I genuinely believe that I CAN be objective when I say this. I actually have equally as many or perhaps slight more male business contacts than female, but I find those female contacts that I do have, really don't go for a lot of hype. We really tell it like it is and are still able to influence by being honest.

And while we're on the subject, one of my pet peeves is people who post to public forums and don't know when to 'put a lid on it.' I can't speak for all women on this issue, but I personally have no problems admitting when I'm wrong, or backing off when I encounter a no-win situation. I find some men often feel they need to prove a point or be seen as always right. My feelings always are, in the final analysis, who really cares and why is it so important to be seen as the winner?

My favourite line in a no-win situation is "I never argue when I know I'm right." I've never tried this line in an online situation, unless I know the person fairly well. But, I've tried this with family and friends, and it always leaves them so stumped and amazed, the argument usually ends in an uproar of laughter.

Regards,
Elizabeth