SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > Original SOWPub Forum Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old September 30, 2000, 10:05 PM
Dien Rice

Default What does business "success" MEAN to women and men?

Again, on the web page about this study of women entrepreneurs, http://www.scu.edu/entrepreneur/Text/WOMEN_final_report.html , I read that

Women entrepreneurs take more *personal* risks than male entrepreneurs do, while

Male entrepreneurs take more *financial* risks than female entrepreneurs do....

This might be related to how you define "success".... For example, there was the following quote (from the web page above)....

Men seem to keep score by how much -- the dollars that are involved in the situation, whether it is the size of a deal or the size of the stock option or whatever might be the context of the situation. It is almost an irrelevant standard for many women that I know, which is not to say you are oblivious to money, certainly. But once the dollars are taken care of, once the basics are under control, what emerges as the most important thing out of the situation is the relationship context. Either creating or preserving or strengthening the relationship-- that’s what makes it a successful deal.

Polly Moore

This also seems to be a key difference in the way men and women approach business....

There are many ways to "measure" the success of a business, and I think it relates to your goals. Is your goal money? Is it lifestyle? Is it freedom from a boss? Is it to do something you enjoy? All these different goals give very different definitions of "success"....

Does anyone have any comments on this? I find it very interesting, but this is really the first time I've ever tried to look into this issue as it relates to gender....

In the past, I just assumed that men and women in business had more-or-less the same approaches and the same goals.... But gosh, looks like I wasn't quite correct....

What do you think of this?

Dien