SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > Original SOWPub Forum Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 1, 2000, 06:07 AM
Richard Vaughan

Default The Remote 3000

About 3 months ago I was riding my stead hunting for satisfaction, which sounds very adult in content but I’m actually referring to being a couch potato and channel surfing, when I noticed that the remote control I had in my hand was basically a very uncomfortable, badly designed shape for anything that you’d want to hold for any length of time.

I don’t know about you, but if the TV remote is MIA, then it’s usually in my hand or very close by.

Having more than a passing interest in weapons, especially firearms, I got to thinking that the perfect shape for a remote control would be something similar to a handgun.

So I drew up plans for…..The Remote 3000….the personal weapon of choice for any man hunting for satisfaction, albeit on the couch. The original plans for my new invention had it looking too much like a handgun, which I knew might attract attention for sales, but ultimately may be it’s undoing, so the final design had the R3000 looking more like a hand control for a slot car racing set.

Where the trigger was there were two buttons, one for volume, the other for channels. The on/off was where the hammer on a handgun lives and of course the batteries went in the butt just like a magazine for a handgun.

I made four dummies made up and decided to do a little market testing. So I through a party. Lots of couples, singles and guys in general and guess what…..every man at my little gathering absolutely loved my Remote 3000.

It was a hit, comfortable to hold, easy to use, no annoying video functions, we even had mock gun fights as the night wore on and the drink flowed freely and the next day three of the four had disappeared.

In fact the entire evening’s conversation revolved around men’s love of the remotes in their lives and the women’s dread of their husbands love of the remotes in their lives.

Every man I invited said he’d buy one or would love one as a gift. As for the women, many said they were pleased to see it didn’t resemble a real gun, but thought it was very comfortable to hold. No more small rectangles to give you RSI.

I bet if it went into production it could sell literary millions, before clones arrived on the scene.

Of course there's no guarantees, but when you have something people want........

A few infomercials, a little world of mouth, a few give-aways and hey presto, a successful product.

Believe it or not, this little story has much to do with men and how we’ll never change. Change the packaging, call us something else, but we’ll always be huMAN.

Sure we can't ride around, hunting for food, but siting on the couch with a Remote3000 plugging away at the box is as close as most of us will ever get to conquest.

As the Terminator once said, when asked if mankind would continue on……."It’s in our nature to destroy ourselves"

If my Remote 3000 is such a great idea, why don’t I do it?…well like most marketers, I have a project book full of great ideas (or so they all seem) but there’s only so much time.

But don’t be surprised if you see a version of what I just shared with you, somewhere in the future…..just remember, you heard it hear first.

Richard Vaughan