SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > Original SOWPub Forum Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Poll: hU5nh
Poll Options
hU5nh

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 8, 2000, 02:36 PM
Mike Rodman

Default Re: Trend Watch...the end of the link at forums...

Gordon ~

I tend to cruise many different forums from Sales and Marketing to Rock Climbing and general interest stuff.

Even if a trend was developing the way you've described... There would still be plenty of areas to market on. Mergers and aquisitions are a way of life... In the real world and on the Internet. Free Enterprise and the ability to do what you want with your business, is and should be, maintained.

Jay Walker, the owner of Priceline.com, has recently sold 190 million dollars, of his own stock, to reinvest 100 million after taxes into his dying company. Apparently, naming your own pricing for hard goods other than airline tickets, is not a good working model... or trend.

They've found, after losing millions of dollars, they cannot cover the cost of working with physical goods.

One group invested over 360 million dollars into his venture and will lose very much of it. From an all time high of over $170 per share almost a year ago to $5.81 per share this weekend! LOL

Trends are just that... Trends. They come and they go. Some forums are not even maintained and you can post whatever you want to on them. Some delete threads which differ from their own agendas. Others are heavily moderated and you cannot advertise "Blatantly". (One day I'd like to see an Official Definition of what "Blatant Advertising" is! HA!) Some consider the self, cross-posting of unasked for articles, blatant advertising or spamming... While others don't! Trend or not???

Another trend is for Membership Only sites. This won't effect business or how it's done on the net for a multitude of reasons. There will always be Sam's Clubs and Costco's requiring membership to enter.. There will be restaurants too, requiring proper "attire" such as "Coats and Ties" to sit at one of their tables. And it is their right as business people to run their business as they deem.

Exclusion versus being part of an accepted group, a classic Human Need.

Even in my sales tracks I use the phrase... Other successful businesses, such as yours, find this program fits their needs exactly."

This gives them the feeling they need to be more like the "Other" successful businesses! We all want to be "successful", don't we??? ;-)

And if they aren't involved with "my" program, then they aren't as successful as the "Other Guy"!!! LOL Peer pressure pure and simple!

But there will always be other places to dine or buy household supplies. And there will be other places to market your wares as well.

In my mind, and this is just my opinion, by excluding people from linking, accessing, or otherwise utilizing your services... These same people, groups, websites and businesses, are becoming almost xenophobic.

I recall a mass of threads concerning how everyone was excluding AOL browsers or Netscape browser users by just coding for Explorer.

Others cried we're missing a huge market by not incorporating the Mac users into our marketing strategies.

If some want to exclude linking and form "Collusions" they are cutting themselves off from the world and a huge part of the market share. Even China had to reopen itself to the Western World eventually.

My other thought is... No one, should be so dependent upon linking as their main marketing efforts. Nor should they have such tunnel-vision they forget about Direct mail and the other forms of Advertising either to generate additional income revenues.

Where have you seen this collusion posted about??? I would be very interested in beginning to follow it as well.

~ Mike