SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > Original SOWPub Forum Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 25, 2003, 03:49 AM
Michael Ross (Qld, Aust)

Default Inventing The SARS Virus

Inventing The SARS Virus
Copyright 2003 by Michael Ross

Before we begin you need to know: I am not a certified medical practitioner and nor do I play one on TV. The following is MY opinion about SARS and is for entertainment and discussion only. And BTW, I have NOT visited a Doctor for any illness since 1992 - eleven years.

Also, before getting to the good stuff (inventing the SARS virus) we've got a do some "Immune System 101 - how your body deals with invaders and why you get sick." I promise to make it... "entertaining" :o)

Anyway. Lets begin.

For the sake of example, assume a virus has landed in your throat lining and now resides inside a cell in your throat. Inside that cell, it is "multiplying."

Your body knows there is something there. But not precisely where. So it sends in a B52 with some daisy cutters on board. The daisy cutters are dropped in the area the suspected virus is. This kills a lot of your own cells - and hopefully gets the virus.

A lot of the virus was destroyed but some got away and are now hiding in other cells. So your body drops more daisy cutters on the area. Killing yet more healthy cells.

The battle continues and more and more healthy throat cells are being killed. You begin to feel a sore throat!!

As this battle rages on, a cleaning crew comes in. It is their job to remove the dead cells and look for any virus parts. If they find any virus parts they send them to the lab. This cleaning crew quickly discovers there is a LOT of debris and needs help. So it signals for help the best way it can... by releasing a chemical in the area, which is picked up by the blood stream. This re-inforcement calling chemical is hideous stuff and makes us feel sick - nauseated, achey! (This sick feeling is your body's way of also telling you to stop eating and rest - why will be revealed a little later.)

Finally, someone at the lab has identified the invader. And have found the twin bothers (Bill and Bob) who have "special kills" at dealing with that particular invader. But the invader is many while Bill and Bob are only one each. So your body sends Bill and Bob to the cloning room (glands). And Bill and Bob begin to multiply and multiply and multiply (your glands begin to swell).

To help Bill and Bob be cloned faster your body raises its temperature. This also has the added effect of creating an inhospitable environment for the invader - who would like nothing more than to be left alone to "multiply." You know this as a rise in temperature or a fever.

At a point determined by the body, there are enough clones of Bill and Bob to deal with the threat. So the cloning room doors are swung open and millions of Bill and Bob killing teams swarm throughout the body. Bill can pinpoint the cells in which the invaders are hiding and blow them apart and Bob can snipe the individual escaping invaders. It's a beautiful pincer movement and very quickly the invader is destroyed.

The interesting thing about all this is that your sore throat, sick feeling, and temperature are all deliberately caused by your body and NOT the invader!

And the reason your body wants you to rest and not eat while this is going on is so it can devote all of its resources to destroying the invader. If you eat, vast resources are diverted to the digestion of the food. If you go about your daily routine you body has to deal with that too.

What is in your daily routine that the body has to deal with? Gas fumes - once breathed in the body has to get rid of them; other "germs" which you may already be immune to; chemicals - in the water and air (fumes given off by office furniture, carpet, etc.); and so on. Being out and about is filled with immune inhibiting encounters.

Runny nose? Coughing up phlem? Indication your mucus linings have been agitated. Fumes can agitate your mucus lining. And fumes can come from: gas, carpet, linoleum, the foam in furniture and mattresses, laminate glue, fibre board (like MDF and oher "craft" wood), car dashboard (fumes is what makes your windshield "foggy"), plastics (such as what your TV is made from), detergents and other cleaners, aerosole cans (hair spray, air fresheners, deoderant, etc.), plug in oil air fresheners, incense burning, mosquito coils and plug in oil products, pest repellants, etc. Airborn particles can also agitate your linings and those particles could come from: pet fur, carpet, furniture, clothes, pollen, etc.

Certain food stuff also can cause a reaction in some people: lactose, gluten, MSG, sugar, mold (cheese), fungus (mushrooms), dairy, and so on. (I know someone who gets a migraine headache whenever they eat a stone fruit!)

So apart from whatever invader your body might have to deal with, it has to deal with a LOT of other things as well. Each thing takes its toll on your immune system.

Now onto SARS...

SARS stands for Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome.

A Syndrome is a number of symptoms occurring together.

See that? A syndrome is a collection of symptoms. That is all.

Do you understand the importance of that? It means ANYTHING can cause that collection of symptoms to appear. It could be any one thing or a combination of things.

Already we've heard... the time has most likely passed to control and defeat SARS and we may be stuck with it for a long time now. And... and this is the big one... the SARS virus has begun to mutate and change.

HOLD IT!!!

Mutate and change? This is following the SAME pattern as the so-called AIDS virus (AIDS is also a syndrome and Peter Duesberg - Ph.D. and Professor of Molecular and Cell Biology at the University of California at Berkeley - has many interesting things to say about it. I suggest you read his take on it here: http://www.duesberg.com/).

Doesn't it makes more sense to say... there are some people who, for reasons unknown at this stage, have contracted a severe form of the flu? Other people, in not such high states of health, would exhibit the IDENTICLE SYMPTOMS as someone being "diagnosed" with SARS, from just a moderate flu, wouldn't they?

After all, SARS is just a collection of symptoms. And those symptoms could be caused by any number of elements. To then just up and say someone has SARS (and THE SARS virus) based on a collecion of symptoms which are the same as those of a bad case of flu, is medical incompetence - or - it's a wonderful stroke of genius by the drug companies!

(Side note: Most people only go to a Doctor when they are feeling sick and their glands are up. When your glands are up you can rest assured your body has identified the invader and will soon destroy it making you feel well. Why is it then, that the Doctor will prescribe anti-biotics? He knows your body has the invader licked. And he knows this the moment he feels your glands are up. He is knowingly prescribing an un-necessary treatment!)

Repeat after me: SARS is a collection of symptoms, SARS is a collection of symptoms, SARS is a collection of symptoms, SARS is a collection of symptoms, SARS is a collection of symptoms, SARS is a collection of symptoms, SARS is a collection of symptoms.

An Absurd Example

If I developed a series of small lumps on my skin which were itchy. I have a collection of symptoms - itch, lump. If I had those lumps on my feet (or lower leg area) that would also be a symptom.

The medical industry would thus say that when I have itchy lumps on my lower legs (a collection of symptoms) I have LILLS (Lumpy Itchy Lower Leg Syndrome). And yet, what I have just described is nothing more than flea bites!!!

Could something else cause a skin reaction like this? Sure... walking with exposed skin through a stinging nettle might do it, brushing up against a cactus, clawed by a playful kitten, allergic reaction to carpet maybe, splashed chemical, "hives," socks, and so on. There are LOTS of reasons why I could have itchy lumps on my legs.

It is the same with SARS. SARS is only a collection of symptoms.

There might be a "very bad" flu going around. But that does not make it THE SARS virus. People may be dieing from this flu - BUT - that does not mean they have THE SARS virus (there is no one SARS virus... SARS is a collection of symptoms) or they were in great health before getting sick (they very well may have already been sick, or in a bad state of health).

Every year, it seems, a "killer flu" comes out of Hong Kong. But previously, the medical professional has called it what it is... a flu... and they have even named it. But not this time... this time they are calling it a syndrome - knowing full well a syndrome is a collection of symptoms which can be caused by many different things.

Think about the importance of this for a minute...

IF they had called it Hong Kong Flu Z, then they could work on treating it (notice I said treating and not curing as medicine seems all about treating things until the symptoms go away and not curing them). And once Hong Kong Flu Z had naturally run its course - everyone who was going to get it en mass had gotten it and either died or developed an immunity to it - then the Docs who were working on it would be out of a job and would need to wait for the next strain of bad-ass flu to come out of Hong Kong.

But now they have called it SARS. They know any and all flus will cause the same set of symptoms - a person in poor health will exhibit the SARS collection of symptoms with only a moderate or minor case of the flu. And they now have a boogie man they can never catch because of that. So they can now start asking for research grants to study it. And the drug companies can work on an ANTI-SARS treatment and make loads more money.

Think about it from the drug company's point of view... they are going to develop a drug whose only purpose is to get rid of a collection of symptoms - remember, SARS is a collection of symptoms.

Fact is... only your body's immune system can destoy a virus. Penicillin can work on bacteria because bacteria are living. A virus is not a living thing... it exhibits zero signs of life.

For a drug to be able to destroy a virus is must be able to find the virus in and out of our cells... kill cells which contain the virus and no other cells... and also destroy free floating virus. And THAT is a BIG ASK from a chemical.

As already described at the beginning... your body's immune system creates a pincer movement which wipes out virus very quickly once they have been identified and the appropriate virus detroying team has been assembled.

The stage has been set. We have been warned we may now never get rid of SARS - and - the SARS virus is mutating (presumably making it harder for the Docs to deal with it).

My interpretation of what they are saying is... we may never be able to get rid of this collection of symptoms because the things which cause this collection are many and varied and always changing. (Of course, if they said it this way they would look like idiots and no one would take their scare mongering seriously.)

Case in point of setting the stage: On "The O'Reilly Factor" on Fox News, a MD was interviewed who supposedly had SARS and was now recovered. Before he was diagnosed with SARS he thought he had pneumonia! Even a trained medical practitioner thought he had pneumonia and NOT SARS. And on top of this, he says he had a "mild" case of SARS. So he had a mild case of Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome. How can you have a mild case of something which has the word severe in its name? The answer is, you can't. By calling this bad-ass flu a syndrome... a collection of symptoms... they have cast a wide net which catches a lot of things and enables the SARS label to be attached to lots of different ailments which previously would have been called something else... such as pneumonia.

The best defense against disease is your immune system. And the best way to help your immune system is to stop doing things that overload it or reduce its capacity to function fully.

Michael Ross

P.S. SARS is a mystery pneumonia - for those who would get pedantic about my liberal use of the word "flu."